thoughts on g9's 8bit video-good enough? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 10th, 2018, 01:41 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: thoughts on g9's 8bit video-good enough?

Oh it must be bad!!! Gary is now onto his splitting up posts and replying to

Each

Single

Sentence

Lol
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Katz View Post
is the panasonic g9's 8bit video "good enough" for pro clients (corporate/web delivery) compared to the gh5/gh5s 10bit footage?

thumbs up.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc
Okay given recent discussion, I thought I'd give a better reply.

In my experience of corporate clients you can expect both reasonable and unreasonable demands. I've had cropping requests and brightening the image above and beyond what's always possible and a few others that have tested the footage captured.

Having worked with the G9, it is a nice camera but limited. There will be certain jobs where wider DR and more latitude in grading maybe called on. Now I don't know your clients needs but then you don't know all yours as you'll be getting new clients all the time I assume. If you're getting by nicely with your current camera stick with it. Don't buy for the sake of owning a better camera or you could be spending indeffinately.

Getting the GH5 would give you options your current camera lacks. I'd say it's worth an investment If you have the funds. Rent one for a job and see if the footage makes a difference. Then decide.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
is the panasonic g9's 8bit video "good enough"
The benefits of 10 bit have allready been mentioned but if your main purpose is to shoot well lit interviews that end up on the web then most dslr's will do just fine, even a iPhone might surprise you and your clients, the question is if your client will appreciate if you show up with a tiny camera or if you want to deal with the shortcomings most photocamera's with a videofunction will give you. I personally would rather use a dedicated videocamera and even would prefer my jvc ls300 over my gh5(s) to shoot in the conditions you described.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
the question is if your client will appreciate if you show up with a tiny camera or if you want to deal with the shortcomings most photocamera's with a videofunction will give you. I personally would rather use a dedicated videocamera and even would prefer my jvc ls300 over my gh5(s) to shoot in the conditions you described.
There you go, Steve, now your professionalism is now questioned by you showing up to your corporate clients with a tiny little GH5. Perhaps you should consider a Red? I mean, if 10-bit Vlog L allows for professional quality, how much more would you get with 16-bit raw and a bigger camera?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:19 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
There you go, Steve, now your professionalism is now questioned by you showing up to your corporate clients with a tiny little GH5. Perhaps you should consider a Red? I mean, if 10-bit Vlog L allows for professional quality, how much more would you get with 16-bit raw and a bigger camera?
Well I got a Pocket 4K on order. :) Does that count? No. Okay.

You're on top form today aren't we Gary. You're milking my 1st slightly dodgy post so heavily, you've almost got yourself a slab of butter. For pity sakes, chill out. I'm not the gospel according to video science. You made your point. Enjoy your day. :)
Old October 10th, 2018, 07:41 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Time for a song... a song with relevance:

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 06:45 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Prefect choice Chris, for so many reasons. Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series