The PIX 220 Video Recorder or the ninja at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The PIX 220 Video Recorder or the ninja

Which is the best value for the mone. Note that the pix 200 can record audio

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767833-REG/Sound_Devices_PIX_220_PIX_220_Video_Recorder.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816082-REG/ATOMOS_ATOMNINJA002_ATOMNJA001_Ninja_Video_Hard.html
Ric

Last edited by Ric Marrty; August 20th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Ric Marrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: The PIX 220 Video Recorder or the ninja

I got some pix 220 info looks impressive can anyone compare to the ninja?

Go to the bottom of the page:

PIX Recorders | Sound Devices, LLC
Ric Marrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: The PIX 220 Video Recorder or the ninja

I bought the Pix220 over the Ninja.

It's bigger, heavier, thirstier, but I think I'll be using it after my current camera is retired.

- Superlative audio control and quality, bar none (confirmed whilst working with a Sound Recordist who used my mics through his gear into my camera. As well as sounding nicer (mic placement) his recording had better dynamic range with a much lower noise floor)
- Unburstable limiter for when you don't have a Sound Guy with you and/or your audio comes from another source (e.g. line feed from desk)
- Great screen on the Pix that you can focus on (big deal with FS100 and top mounted screen) - I live in hope of punch-in and peaking focus aids plus false colour exposure.
- Great down/up/cross convert that actually delivers good quality results
- Big buttons that light up when you engage them (this is a major point if this is in a backup/master recording system)

Will I use it on every shoot? No. Will it pay for its self? Yes, but more so on shoots where reliability and quality are key and the client will pay a little extra for this. Will it make my life better? Hell yes, and I can't quite put a value on that yet.

Should I have bought the PIX240? That's where my Buyer's Remorse is kicking in. I have never, ever, been asked or needed Genlock. All my HD-SDI cameras do HDMI. But almost all of the clients I work for use other suppliers who work in HD-SDI throughout. I'll get an Atomos HD-SDI to HDMI converter, but that weakens my chain. I won't earn revenue hiring this box out on dry hire. But would I recoup the cost difference if I did - and would I want to?

Having used both the Ninja and now the Pix220, I'm happy with the Pix and feel it's well worth the doubling of cost for my corporate shoots. But if I were shooting indie narrative on a shoestring, with more complex rigs for monitoring, I'd understand why folks would go for the Ninja.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series