Panasonic App used as video monitor for GH4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 25th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic App used as video monitor for GH4

Just wondering if anyone is using the Panasonic App with an iPhone or tablet device and connected through wifi to the GH4 to use as an external monitor? I'm looking at 3 axis gimbals and I'm trying to sort out a good and cost effective monitor for viewing what the camera sees when mounted on the gimbal. It's hard to see the on-camera screen when mounted on the gimbal and moving it.

I connected my GH4 through wifi to my IPhone using the Pansonic App and it's okay. It's a little laggy and isn't full screen, but it's better than paying $500+ for a monitor..

Any feedback or other suggestions?
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic App used as video monitor for GH4

It will be too laggy to really be useful.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What is the app called? sounds interesting.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm just referring to the basic Panasonic App that is free;

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pana...590212732?mt=8

You can use it to control the GH4 remotely. I was just thinking of using the live preview as a way to roughly view framing if the GH4 was mounted on a gimbal (such as the DJI Ronin M) and the camera screen was obscured by the gimbal itself.
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hucal View Post
I was just thinking of using the live preview as a way to roughly view framing if the GH4 was mounted on a gimbal (such as the DJI Ronin M) and the camera screen was obscured by the gimbal itself.
That's absolutely a way you can do it, but I would still prefer a screen mounted to the gimbal itself. Just finished a shoot where we used a C100 Mark II and a Shogun and I debated about using the Shogun or just the Star, and it was a no-brainer to have brought the Shogun once we were up and running. Having a nice, lag-free image on the gimbal handles made the whole experience much better. However, in a pinch, you can totally use the Lumix app.

This video was shoot with that app so that I could get a rack focus without my hand being in the shot (at the 1:05 mark).

Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Major Player

I do that with an iPad Air. There's a slight amount of lag here and there, but nothing too bad. This is a shot of my GH4 on an iFootage M1 jib at an Indian wedding last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonic App used as video monitor for GH4-ipad.jpg  
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series