Panasonics 42,5mm f1.7 lens rocks! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 27th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Panasonics 42,5mm f1.7 lens rocks!

In my search to make it easier on myself while shooting weddings I decided to buy the new Panasonic 42,5 f1.7 lens with stabilisation at a very cheap 400 euro. It was also the only focal length I was missing between 25 and 75mm.

Until now I shot the bride prep with my 25mm f1.4 lens but I needed to use a monopod because I otherwise would get small jitters in the image which needed to be post treated to stabilize, which did not always work well as edius own stabiliser something warped the entire image in the process.

On some occasions I just didn't want to use that monopod anymore and was hoping the 42,5mm would allow me to shoot handheld without having to stabilize it in post, the monopod also slowed me down as it was yet another thing that I had to drag around.

And boy, did the new panasonic lens perform, I"m very glad I got it, I was able to walk around all day with the sony rx10 attached to a belt and the gh4 with the 42.5mm with a strap around my neck so I could just take shots handheld whenever I saw something worth shooting, it was a delight just walking through the crowd during the reception taking some quick candid handheld shots that all turned out to be perfectly usable without any form of post treatment.

When I view the images on a big screen it just looks gorgeous and every shot looks more stable then what I could achieve with my 25mm on a monopod, the stabilisation is that good.

Focussing manually is fly by wire, not accurate like a real mechanical lens but much more usable then the focus on my sony rx10, I found it quite easy to focus manually with this lens.

Every m4/3 camera owner should have this lens in his gearbag, it's a must have.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Panasonics 42,5mm f1.7 lens rocks!

Great to hear about your good experience with this lens. How about some screenshots?
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Every m4/3 camera owner should have this lens in his gearbag, it's a must have.
Well, thanks a lot. I'm having a hard enough time trying not to buy this lens and here along comes a comment like that! :-D
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills View Post
How about some screenshots?
I only have screenshots from the last weddings where I used the lens but unfortunately I cannot share them here.
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:36 AM   #5
Trustee

I own the 1.2 version and its an amazing lens, perfect for Reception and evening footage. I just need a decent wide angle now and I've covered all the bases re primes.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, that f1.2 lens is quite an investment and it's priced accordingly but that f1.7 lens, even if it feels and looks like a cheap plastic lens has a very good price/performance ratio. I have been using it a lot now shooting handheld, it's stabilization is at it's best when you don't pan or tilt, it filters out jitters very effectively, only when you start to pan and tilt you notice the limitations of the stabilization.
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Yes, that f1.2 lens is quite an investment and it's priced accordingly
Worth every penny. It's my top lens for quality and the f1.2 saved me from noisy footage during one very dimly lit Ceremony.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:

And boy, did the new panasonic lens perform, I"m very glad I got it, I was able to walk around all day with the sony rx10 attached to a belt
Noah, may I ask what belt you use to carry the Cam's on?

Thanks
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Sigh Noa... now I have to sell my Olympus 45mm and get this instead. Hate you.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Here is a shot I took last wedding in a dark corner of the venue where you could get coffee, I took this shot to show how the stabilization works, the footage is unaltered, each time I reframe I refocus as well by pressing the shutter button which explains the focus shifts and a slight wobble caused by pressing the shutterbutton. This is taken handheld without any rig. Not that it's important but this was shot at f1.7 and 3200 iso.

password: test
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Stanley View Post
Noah, may I ask what belt you use to carry the Cam's on?

Thanks
The BH Camera Holster | b-grip
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Major Player

was that shot in 4k then downscaled? WHERE IS THE NOISE? I HAVE NOISE AT ISO 3200.

*deep breath*
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #13
Major Player

Ohhhh.... now I'm getting tempted to get this one for my G6!
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #14
Major Player

I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY Noa.

On a more helpful note, for those of you who have the Olympus 45mm (I still do, trying to sell it), there is a significant difference between these two lenses. And it's the minimum focus distance: 50cm versus 31cm for the Panasonic. It's almost a macro lens. This, coupled with 4k or the 2x function in the GH3/4 will produce amazing results for rings and any other close-ups of accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonics 42,5mm f1.7 lens rocks!-pana-425mm.jpg  
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #15
Trustee

Just got this lens its excellent. Results like a full frame lens great lens and stabilised
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series