GH1 extra low light workaround (Set ISO Higher then 1600ISO by 3 stops) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 25th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Major Player

GH1 extra low light workaround (Set ISO Higher then 1600ISO by 3 stops)

Hi Guysg

Someone recently found an extra feature that allows to push the ISO higher then 1600, I have tested this and also several others have tested it both on PAL and NTSC models.

Here is the steps,

1. In 1080 or 720p Full HD Mode Set the dial to movie mode BUT
2. Go into the menu and set MOVIE EXPOSURE MODE to S (Shutter Priority)
3. in dim lighting and set your ISO to 1600. Now push the dial in and turn (it will select the exposure meter)- YOU'RE NOW ABLE to lower the shutter speed below 1/30th of a second to 1/4th of a second

KICKER - it DOES NOT BLUR or give slow shutter streaks...I have no clue what's going on but it's almost like it's tricking the ISO to go higher, but the thing is at 1600 ISO , going from shutter 1/30 to 1/4 takes you well beyond the 3200 ISO listed as the Lumix Max.

Tested both adapter lens and stock lens (note that on stock lens it will not show different shutter speeds but keep rotating and you'll see at the end it will increase the actual exposure.

And to clarify I HAVE THE DIAL SET TO MOVIE MODE (S mode is set in the menu). I see it get brighter as I rotate the dial

Another benefit found: Works at any ISO so this is actually good to have during the camera is recording as you can only change ISO in stop mode or if you are in total auto and the camera decides.

3 stops of extra light, so at 1/6 is the first increase up to 1/4th.

Would love to know if anyone can tell me if this is a happy accident Panny let slip through their software or if I'm missing something cuz' I have no clue what's actually doing this since it's def. not a true 1/4th shutter since there's no streaks, but gives you the EV value of using one and the ISO is capped at 3200 (1600 for video ) according to the manual/menus. So going 1/30 of a second at ISO 1600 to 1/4th of a second gives you 12000 ISO (but I am assuming its actually just 3200ISO)

Happy GH1 filming
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Major Player

You are right!

I followed your instructions and I got the same results! Awsome, especially because when I put the clip on the timeline it show no noise!! At 400 ISO, in full manual mode, with the available light, I could not get enough light picture. With you system, I get plenty!

GOOD FIND!

P.S.
I am not sure either about what's going on, but this system seems to improve the low light capability of the cam.

Thank you!

Carlo Zanella
New Mexico, USA
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Really cool trick! I couldn't get the camera to open up more at 1600 but when I put it in auto iso it got noticably brighter. Try the auto iso out and let me know if that is brighter than 1600.

My Olympus e-300 also had a trick where I could lower the iso to 50 by going through a set of hidden menus...the cameras lowest default was only 100.

Four-Thirds cameras and the things you aren't supposed to be able to do with them.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Does notwork for me..

Am I missing a step here?

Settings:
motion jpg, HD, (Also tried with AVCHD FHD mode as well.)
Exposure mode "S" (shutter).
ISO auto, 400, 800, 1600...
Turn the dial to Movie and roll scroll wheel. I can only get to 30 shutter speed.

I am on firmware 1.2 for both body and lens and I can't make this work.
Thanks in advance for any clarification -- I could really use this.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Don't worry about what the shutter says.

If you want to see if the settings are working put the camera back in M mode. Set your iso to 1600 Record video for a couple seconds.

Now put your camera back in S mode, ISO 1600, and make the exposure meter go all the way to the right. Record video for a couple seconds of the same object as before.

Go to play mode. Don't actually play the video but compare the first frame of both settings. The mode in S should look brighter....obviously keep the shutter speed at 30 in both modes for a fair test. Another note, you can get an even brighter image if you put ISO in auto and max out the exposure in S mode.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The actual ISO this trick unlocks is 3200. The three "bumps" in ISO go in 1/3-stop increments. So from 1600, there's 2000, 2500 and 3200. You can also do this by being in Still mode on the wheel, choosing 3200 ISO, and pressing the record button.
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Major Player

I read the friggin manual...

From release notes on Body firmware 1.21

Shutter speed slower than 1/30 sec. (up to 1/2 sec.) has now become available in the
Creative Motion Picture mode.
Only when the [EXPOSURE MODE] in the [MOTION PICTURE] mode menu is set to [M],
and the focus mode dial is set to [MF].
Please note that the shutter speed slower than 1/30 sec. can not be set, when the [REC
MODE] in the [MOTION PICTURE] mode menu is set to [AVCHD], and [REC QUALITY] is
set to [FHD].

Full doc + firmware file here:
Panasonic DMC-GH1K Support and Service Information
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series