Anyone using the Olympus / Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5II on a GH1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone using the Olympus / Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5II on a GH1?

According to the Panasonic lens compatibility charts for the GH1 and GH2, this lens gets improved autofocus capability on the GH2. At f2.8-3.5, this becomes an interesting lens to me for a B-cam on interviews and tight quarters. Is anyone using this lens for video?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes I have this lens and totally recommend it as the defacto fast zoom lens to get (until the 12-75mm lens comes out).

It autofocuses when you half press the shutter and you hold down the shutter halfway to lock focus during a shot (this is after the GH13 hack). You can then manual focus during a shot.

No OIS, but you can get a Gorillapod.

I have a few video samples online

www.psynema.net

Olympus only WITH HACK
Project Twenty1 vid / BIrchtree Catering Vid

Olympus Before hack
TYT vid at Washington / Kisses for Kyle Charity
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice indoor stuff. Was all that indoor shooting of the catering just with available light?

How's the Bokeh when you are about 4' from the subject at 54mm? Any ideas what focal length, aperture and ISO you were using on the attached?

I'm reading different things about the feasibility/reality of the rumored 12-75.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using the Olympus / Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5II on a GH1?-screen-shot-2010-10-06-8.32.08-pm.png  
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bokeh's fine - that headshot you posted is about four feet away and maybe in the 35-40mm range IIRC. Not sure on the specs of the shot of that headshot, but I was probably fully open, 1/50th, and in the 600-800 range.

All videos on there are with available light (though on the red carpet of the Project Twenty1 video someone set up a softbox)
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I noticed in the Kisses for Kyle piece, the Bokeh was much less. Is this simply the wider FOV or could you have opened the aperture some more?

Can you recommend a useful level of ND for sunny outdoor shooting?

Have you used the 20mm f1.7 pancake?
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Forgot to attach the Kisses for Kyle example.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using the Olympus / Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5II on a GH1?-screen-shot-2010-10-07-8.37.08-am.png  
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Les Wilson I noticed in the Kisses for Kyle piece, the Bokeh was much less. Is this simply the wider FOV or could you have opened the aperture some more?

Can you recommend a useful level of ND for sunny outdoor shooting?

Have you used the 20mm f1.7 pancake?

The bokeh was less for two reasons - it was indoors, yes, but on a bright sunny day with windows, so the aperture probably was closed down a bit, maybe 4.0 (which I usually aim for vs. 2.8 if there's enough light). It is of course a wider shot since there's two people - I zoom in for a close up in that vid you'll see so the zoom is probably halfway for that shot you posted.

I used the 20mm 1.7 pancake. Great image and can be stunning, but found the manual and auto focus modes to be a pain, so I'm holding hope I'll get the 25mm 1.4 instead one day.

20mm pancake was used for the Puss in Boots vid (aside from a few outdoor shots, that whole video is the 20mm). N Crowd also has 20mm shots in it (except the CU medium shots on stage which is a 50mm lens).
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Major Player

How does the lens sound when auto focusing? Is it loud? Thanks.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

During video yes you'll pick up sound, so usually I just hit autofocus to start the shot, then take over manually thereafter.

You can actually hear some sounds in the project 21 video, see if you can catch them.
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Major Player

I didn't hear it with all the other sounds in there -- wasn't what sounded like drums, was it? :-)
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

nah no drums.
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series