Videomic Pro for GH1/GH2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Videomic Pro for GH1/GH2

I'm probably the last one to find out about this microphone, but I wanted to share this information with anyone that needs a shotgun mic for the GH2, or any DSLR type cam. I ordered mine yesterday, and I'm excited about the small form factor and the more attractive/efficient mounting system.

Rode VideoMic Pro

at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744768-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_PRO_VideoMic_Pro_Compact_Shotgun.html
Rode site:

RØDE Microphones - VideoMic Pro
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Videomic Pro for GH1/GH2

You will need an adaptor going from the 3.5mm Output Plug to the GH2 .2.5 mm jack.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the heads up Jim. I got one from Radio Shack for $3.99. Not good quality, but should work for now.
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I run the new Video Mic Pro on my GH2.

The radioshack adapter will not work - actually it will give you mono - one right or left track but not both.

You will need a stereo 3.5 to 2.5 adapter - Hosa for example, is the most popular.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488047-REG/Hosa_Technology_GMP_467_GMP_467_Right_Angle.html
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Jon, that is VERY important information, thank you. I'm on the hunt for one now.
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jon, my adapter is working fine with my videomic, perfect, both channels. Are you still pretty certain it won't work with the pro? I'm hoping it requires the same plug as my videomic. My newer mic arrives tomorrow, and if it doesn't work there is a local audio house that will likely have something I can use.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 24th, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

This is what I purchased and it works great.

Sennheiser MKE 400

Sennheiser USA - Camera Microphone - Camcorder Microphone - MKE 400 - Directional shot gun Microphone - Professional Audio

After buying a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter at Radio Shack, of course. I also made a short wire adapter using a right angle 2.5 plug I found at Radio Shack but that was a soldering nightmare. It works however.
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

William, if you're interested, here's a video of a comparison of the older videomic, and your Sennheiser, along with a Sony tossed in. You may have already seen/heard it. The little Sony was surprisingly good for it's size, but of course it was at close range, which gave it a bit of help, as from a distance it would be relatively poor compared to the other two, I'm guessing.

Field video mic: Rode VideoMic vs. Sennheiser MKE 400?

I had looked into the Sennheiser, but I already had a videomic, and was pleased with it. The newer Rode Videomic pro is supposedly improved over the original, and is much smaller, so I went with it.

Your Sennheiser is extremely popular also, and it well liked for it's small form factor, which came along before the Videomic Pro, so I can see why you chose it. It does seem to be a little light on the lower end, but otherwise seems pretty good. But is is pricey!
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Major Player

I tried a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter from radioshack and could not get stereo both tracks to record. I was then told this adapter is for cellphones only and mono. Now it may be that radioshack sell more than one type of adapter and do sell a stereo version.

However, for $3.50 it is not a big deal to order one that you know is stereo.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Jon, I still appreciate your attempt to warn me, details like that can be crucial.
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Videomic Pro arrived, very nice

The original Videomic was good, but had a couple of issues. When moving the camera, it tended to make noises that would end up on the video. I just didn't like the way it flopped around.

Also it tended to be a bit on the noisy side, but for $140, the quality was unbeatable. I don't know of any in that price range that were as good.

The Videomic Pro, on the other hand is perfect, absolutely quiet, much improved, with a +20 setting that I will find very useful.

It is a slick little piece of equipment, superb sound, super small, looks very nice on the camera.

On the other hand, it feels very delicate to handle, which I don't care for, but overall it is very nice.

It is more sensitive as well, I might add. Lastly, they are sending a deadcat for registering on their website, which is a super nice deal.
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I use the Senn ME66, which has it's own 48v power, I've always wondered if these Rodes work on a fishpole. It looks like they're built exclusively for a hot shoe mount. That'd be a major limitation.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The only reason I went with the Sennheiser was the forward bulk of the Rode mike which would have intruded on the wide angle shots on another small form HD camera (JVC) I use the Sennheiser with also. On the GH2 I'm not sure that would be a problem as the mike is mounted higher from the lens.

The low ends are very good for me. In fact the GH2 records more of the low-ends than my other small HD camera.

The Sennheiser can be purchased for quite a bit cheaper than the MSRP on Sennheiser's web site. That said I would have gone with the Rode if I had purchased the GH2 first.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Inner Circle

At any rate they are both fine mics, and I'm just happy to have a smaller mic, my older Rode was much too large of a contraption for the tiny GH2.
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Brian, Rode has a full line of accesories for their mics, including cables, boom poles, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series