GH4 Firmware v1.1 now Available! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: GH4 Firmware v1.1 now Available!

Chad, where did you drag the .bin file to on your SD card? "DCIM", "MISC" or "private" ?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I didn't put the .bin file in any of the 3 other items (folders) natively on the card after the GH4 formats it.

I simply dragged the .bin onto the SD card so that there were then 4 items on there, the .bin file and the other three that the GH4 creates after a format.

You can try that, or the previous poster to this thread seems like he had luck deleting everything off the card and leaving only the .bin file on it before inserting back into the GH4.
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Just updated on a Mac with no problem. Download .zip, click it to open it it, drag that .bin file to SD card, camera updates, no brainer, this was the easiest firmware update I have ever done.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, got it to work but only after trying three SD cards. Transcend 64 gig Class 3, no go.SanDisk 16gig Class10, no go. SanDisk 32gig Class 10, bingo!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Weird that for some of us, it works so simply and for others that it was picky about the card type/brand, file location, etc. When I first tried it, the camera wouldn't let me until I switched to a brand new, fully charged battery. Probably a good thing.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Chad, where did you drag the .bin file to on your SD card? "DCIM", "MISC" or "private" ?

Ron
Just drag the .bin file into the root directory of the SD card. I did it on my iMac here at work and it worked fine.

SB

EDIT: I actually got around to shooting a LOT of 4k footage yesterday, and even after the new firmware update, the camera still locked up, but only once. Wonder what's going on there...
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #22
Major Player

I have finally managed to install 1.1 in my GH4. I tried a new card and still got ‘no valid picture to play’. Next I deleted the first download from my computer and reloaded the update. This time it worked.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills View Post
I actually got around to shooting a LOT of 4k footage yesterday, and even after the new firmware update, the camera still locked up, but only once. Wonder what's going on there...
What card did you use? I experienced one lock up when I used one of my older 45mbs sec sandisc cards, I now have a Kingston 80/90mbs read/write card and the last 3 weddings it worked fine. I still have not updated to the new firmware though, will do that today.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
What card did you use? I experienced one lock up when I used one of my older 45mbs sec sandisc cards, I now have a Kingston 80/90mbs read/write card and the last 3 weddings it worked fine. I still have not updated to the new firmware though, will do that today.
I was using one of my Sony 45MBS cards, which I've used in the past to good results. Records C4K, and even the 200 mbps fine, except for those odd moments when the camera hangs up.

Speaking of which, I noticed last time it happened that I hadn't even pressed record yet. I had turned the camera on, and was manual focusing and getting all my settings right, and then when I went to press record, it wouldn't work. So I popped the battery, and then everything worked fine. Shot the rest of the day on it and it didn't ever freeze.

SB
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Records C4K, and even the 200 mbps fine, except for those odd moments when the camera hangs up
Panasonic recommends UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3) cards so anything less might be causing the crashes, I had it once also with a 45mbs card, as my work depends on those cards I got a card with recommended speeds instead, so far, so good (knocks on wood)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Also, as a side note, my GH4 crashed again yesterday, but like I said, it was before I had shot anything, and I was just setting up the shot. I pressed the record button on the back and it didn't do anything, so I sighed, and took it off the tripod and popped the battery, and turned it back on. My grip looked at me and asked, "Did you just turn it off and back on again?" "Um, yes..." I stammered, slightly embarrassed.

But it worked from then on!

SB
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM   #27
New Boot

Hi, Juste went through all the angst and steps to update. for mac users
Here's what we found.
Download the .zip file. double click to get to the .bin file.

Heres the rub...You need the originally labeled bin file… if you download it more than once, as we did on successive attempts.. it will have numbers-1, -2 ,etc added to the label…(for ex: GH4__V11 5.bin) this "new" label will prohibit the camera from reading the .bin file…

1. Get the originally labelled bin.. (GH4_V11.Bin) by lopping off the additional space and number.

2. Format an SD card in the camera, put that card in your Mac. Drag all files on the formatted SD card to the trash and empty the trash.

3. Copy and paste the GH4_V11.Bin file onto the SD Card. - so it is the only file on the SD card.

4. put it in the camera and hit the Play button…. The onscreen upgrade menu ( Version Up) will come on..after a short wait..
It worked for us.
Greg Poschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #28
Major Player

That's how it will work. Had same problems and did that, and it worked after that.
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #29
Trustee

I sidestepped all these issues by sending mine in to the McAllen service center for the "audio buzz" fix. They gave it quick turnaround (about 3 business days) and sent it back to me with ver. 1.1 installed. The audio is now clean and everything seems to work as it should.

To find out if your GH4 has the "audio buzz" problem plug in headphones, an external mic with switch OFF, set the input at MAXIMUM, and set the headphone level at Maximum. Carefully put on the headphones. At shutter speeds of up to 1/30 you will hear a staccato popping, at 1/60 and above it will be an obnoxious buzz.

I usually use a separate audio recorder so almost considered not bothering with sending it in for the fix, but decided to anyway for when the day comes to consider selling it. Definitely gonna be harder with an audio problem.

In order to get your GH4 repaired and returned to you as quickly as possible, the following information must accompany your GH4 when you send it to Panasonic’s service center:

First and Last Name
Physical Address (no PO Box)
Telephone Number
Email Address
Description of the issue (e.g. “Audio buzz”)

Send the camera only (no accessories) along with your owner information to Panasonic’s service center:

Panasonic Factory Service Center
GH4 AUDIO UPDATE
4900 George McVay Drive
Suite B, Door 12
McAllen, TX 78503
Attention: Maria Alonzo

Important: Ship your GH4 via a traceable insured shipper such as UPS or Fed-Ex to avoid any unforeseen delays in delivery.

GH4's purchased new with firmware ver. 1.1 already have the modification and do not need the "fix".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series