Wide and fast for low light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Wide and fast for low light

Yes, there is a larger cropfactor in 4k, I currently shoot with my gh3 with a 12mm lens on a steadicam and I find that lens just wide enough, 15mm on the gh4 in 4K would not be wide enough for my use.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #17
Trustee

Yes the crop factor in 4K is 2.3x, so a 15mm lens has roughly a 34.5mm field of view (in 35mm terms.)
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The crop factor in 4K UHD is actually 2.49x as has been spoken about often on many of the forums.

I use a 17mm f/1.8 on a stabilizer quite often and like Noa says, it's very difficult to use with it's 42mm equivalent field of view in 4K. I will often switch back to 1080-60p just to get that little bit wider. I definitely need to pick up a fast 10 or 12mm for stabilizer work so that it is much simpler to keep the subject in frame and the camera movements to a minimum.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #19
Major Player

Well this is a bit of a disappointment. I've watched quite a few youtube vids on the GH4 and nobody pointed this out as far as I can remember. I'm guessing the 8k on the GH5 will crop even more then? :)
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #20
Inner Circle

It was not exactly a secret that the gh4 had a cropfactor in 4K, a 12mm is a good wide focal length in 4K though in very tight spots you will need the 7-14mm f4.0, only that's too slow for weddings unless you get the new olympus 7-14mm f2.8 but I find f2.8 still to slow for most of my work as I need least f2.0 and faster lenses to get the job done. I also need autofocus to quickly lock focus before I start shooting so then a 12mm f2.0 is the fastest and widest you can get.
Old December 20th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #21
Major Player

that is my EXACT feeling, Noa! just regarding the 12-35mm f/2.8 from Panasonic. I have a friend here who's been filming weddings since the 90s and keeps telling me to get that lens because it will help me a lot... and I'm sure it will, up until the reception where there is no more daylight and in some situations the ISO will stay at 3200 or higher with my 14mm f/2.5.

So f/2.8 is definitely NOT ok for that part. The 15mm f/1.7 would be a dream, and a cheaper dream than that Olympus 12mm... but, like you said, might not be wide enough in some cases...
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Great footage and promo Noa! Beautiful shots! What slider did you use in the shots? Nice and smooth!
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #23
Major Player

I don't want to make another thread so I'll just post in here since it's relevant.

I recently acquired a camera stabilizer and noticed that my Panasonic 14mm lens is not nearly wide enough to make that steadycam footage look GOOD. Therefore, my next purchase has to be a wider lens.

Because most videographers I know love to use a 14mm lens (full frame 14mm), I am considering the Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 fish-eye. Yes, it is a fisheye lens but apparently you can de-fisheye the footage, like this guy has:

Budget is not that high ($400 max), so if you guys think I'd be better off with something else at this sort of price, please let me know. I am concerned that f/3.5 is going to be kind of unusable for wedding receptions, but the Oly 12mm f/2.0 is not wide enough and too expensive. The new Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 would be both wide enough and definitely fast enough... but I doubt I'll be able to afford it *sigh*

Thanks again.
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I don't like the rokinon 7,5mm as it's soft in comparison with my panasonic and olympus lenses, I do use it for a very select type of shots, usually gets used just once during a wedding.

Another cheap option is the Olympus 9-18mm but it' also is not a fast lens but other then that there are no more cheap and fast super wide angles lenses availabale for m4/3
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #25
Inner Circle

If you would be interested, I"m selling my samyang 7,5mm with m4/3 mount for about half it's newprice: 150 euro excl sendingcosts. Will be putting some more gear up for sale by the end of the week but this lens will be a part of it.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #26
Major Player

Noa I will definitely want to buy that if you're selling it. The only problem is that I have 2 events at the end of next month, and no money until then since I just bought a steadycam. You have my email, let me know what else you are selling, I might be interested. And thank you :)

PS: your Samyang can't be worse than the full frame 14mm Samyang that a friend of mine uses on his 5D, that one is just bad at everything... color accuracy, sharpness, ugly distortion.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series