Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 announced with 4K recording - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old June 13th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000 announced with 4K recording

Based on what I saw when I pulled the shadows up, it's awfully generous to say "4K". I know that all cameras tend to degrade in resolution and clarity in low light, but some degrade "gracefully", not collapse to bad SD quality...

Having tried the FX200, yep, the fully articulating LCD is far nicer than the approach Sony uses. But as far as the lens range goes, I got better results out of the HX300, and the lens on the RX10 with CIZ produces good results that "pop". The stills from the demos looked pretty flat to me, and not sure they were holding up out to the corners - seemed to me that the corners were falling apart a bit too.

While not a camera that I'll be standing in line for (or even looking for "used"), I'm glad to see the competition! Looks like 4K WILL be a market expectation sooner rather than later, and for a first "under $1K" effort, not bad.

Still say Sony needs to stop fooling around and release ASAP a firmware update to the RX10 and RX100M3 to unleash the BionzX to do 4K, and in the RX10 XAVC S 1080 at higher bitrate (the difference over AVCHD.28Mbps IS noticeable). I hope this bold move by Panasonic will be the prod to get them thinking a little more progressive!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #32
Major Player

[QUOTE=
Still say Sony needs to stop fooling around and release ASAP a firmware update to the RX10 and RX100M3 ![/QUOTE]

Dave if you are holding your breath on this one,,, better not
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #33
Major Player

FZ1000 Has DFD Autofocus

I haven't seen this mentioned previously. It's the same enhancing feature for contrast-detection autofocus that's used on newer Panasonic M4/3 cameras. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using telextenders on any of the M4/3 cameras with DFD? Does it work with an added lens on the main lens?

Regarding the request for firmware upgrades on the Sony RX10 and RX100 III: It seems that Sony's idea of firmware upgrades for Cybershot cameras, is next year's model.

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; June 14th, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #34
Major Player

Does this camera hold focus throughout the zoom?
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #35
Major Player

I had a Pentax K1000 which I loved and the model numbers on the "lumixFZ1000 4K" are similar enough.so
I think I'll get one !!
Good a reason as any lol
I'm a Sony fanboy and silly as it sounds, their now called Playmemories home is such a good organizer that I've been reluctant to use files that don't show up in PMB but mayby these mp4 files from the fz1000 will

Who will be next with a 4K offering? JVC is usually good for a twist on the status Quo

Last edited by Bruce Dempsey; June 16th, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #36
Major Player

Zoom Controller Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000

I have no experience at all with panny-cams.
Do you suppose that the fz1000 will have some-sort of wired zoom controller as 100% of my shooting is on a tripod with panhandle?
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #37
Major Player

Got an email today from Panasonic promoting pre-ordering for the FZ1000.

Things I don't think I had read elsewhere:

When shooting in the 1080p120fps mode (which frankly is of more interest to me than 4K) it said "The recording format is 30p." I'm not sure what that means - it will show up and play back as 30p in an NLE, but those extra frames are available if speed reduction is selected?

4K recording requires a UHS Class 3 card and has a 29 minute 59 second limit.

4k is .mp4 format.

The Hybrid OIS and level shot function do not work in 4K.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I would think 120p stored as 30p would just mean 4x the duration of the clip (1s clip is stored as 4s clip).
Jurij Turnsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:10 AM   #39
Major Player

Bad news for Video shooters who's work is done from a tripod.
This to and from Panasonic :
--------------------
""Hello
>Does the new fz1000 have wired lanc control or similar for zooming in video mode?
>thanks you

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for your inquiry. Regrettably this unit does not have a wired LAN control option ""
---------------------

Although there is apparently some kind of wireless controller I'm not sure how a smartphone or other device could be incorporated onto a tripod panhandle and used as a typical thumb operated lanc controller to follow fast sports like figureskating where zoom is pretty much constant as they are either moving towards you at 40mph or going away at similar speeds

Wait a minute Their answer sez "LAN" wtf are they idiot green-horns who might not know the difference between LAN and Lanc?
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
Bad news for Video shooters who's work is done from a tripod.
This to and from Panasonic :
--------------------
""Hello
>Does the new fz1000 have wired lanc control or similar for zooming in video mode?
>thanks you

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for your inquiry. Regrettably this unit does not have a wired LAN control option ""
---------------------

Although there is apparently some kind of wireless controller I'm not sure how a smartphone or other device could be incorporated onto a tripod panhandle and used as a typical thumb operated lanc controller to follow fast sports like figureskating where zoom is pretty much constant as they are either moving towards you at 40mph or going away at similar speeds

Wait a minute Their answer sez "LAN" wtf are they idiot green-horns who might not know the difference between LAN and Lanc?
bruce that's strange because it has the same remote port (2.5mm) like the GH4 , and the GH4 will accept a libec 3DV with the power-zoom lenses so I'm going to test it myself when I'll get it but I'm confident that there is a remote option (in panasonic protocol of course which means probably only zoom control and maybe start/stop)
Maybe the question was a bit vague and so the answer. anyway Panasonic video cameras (any) don't have "lanc" protocol, but a panasonic protocol . 2 ports (2.5mm and 3.5mm for zoom/start-stop (2.5mm) and iris/focus(3.5mm)). The answer may be correct (no lanc which only works for sony and canon. what they did was just missing a "c" in there.. again.. maybe). Or most likely they misunderstood, thinking that vthe question was about some LAN connection over IP or something. What's clear for now is that they didn't know much about the camera, and that's obvious.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #41
Major Player

Hey Anthony
They did resend Thank you for your inquiry. Regrettably this unit cannot operate with a wired LANC. Ican't say that the call centre folks understand the intent of my question or whether they are just a farmed out outfit with cookie cutter only responses (seems so)
I'm standing in line down at B&H for one of these as we speak and really have my fingers crossed that Panny has thought of this and made some provision for zoom control other than duct-taping an iphone to the pan handle.
Some recent Sonys utilize miniusb for zoom control so there's that ..(I have emailed them again asking for a list of functions available via av/usb ports
It would make no sense to have a fixed zoom lens camera with significant video empowerment that is not usable in what is a normal video shooting manner
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Anthony
I'm standing in line down at B&H for one of these and really have my fingers crossed that they have thought of this and made some provision for zoom control other than duct-taping an iphone to the pan handle.
Some recent Sonys utilize miniusb for zoom control so there's that ..(I have emailed them again asking for a list of functions available via av/usb ports
It would make no sense to have a fixed zoom lens camera with significant video empowerment that is not usable in what is a normal video shooting manner
Bruce,
same here. If you go to DPReview check the preview of the camera, go to the third page and look at the picture of the ports, there is a micro HDMI, USB and remote -looks exactly like the one on the GH4, which is a 2.5mm). I am 98% confident that a libec 3DV will at least control the zoom.
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #43
Major Player

tks I'd been hunting for pics of those ports without luck
main thing is zoom.
start/stop/photo bonus but not that big a deal
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
tks I'd been hunting for pics of those ports without luck
main thing is zoom.
start/stop/photo bonus but not that big a deal
absolutely bruce, I agree.

what we need is a good quality camcorder with a remote and a workable bokeh (too much bokeh can be a nightmare to get the focus right). a slow zoom that doesn't jerk like the ea50. and a solid 1080p (4K is a plus but it may be an investment for the future.

What this camera needs:
1. XLR to 3.5mm adapter with volume control and audio monitor
2. a mattebox with filters mainly ND

and that would be it.

Notice the usual marketing trick regarding the missing ND and audio out. LOL . They are all alike... a little bit of this and little bit of that and the important things included to win the competitors but still with ALWAYS something missing :)
Old June 28th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #45
Major Player

Yeah
I have a little rolls cam mixer for audio before ingest to the cam which takes left and right xlr channels + aux in then outputs 3.5 and figure something can be rigged up for headphones using the a/v out off the cam
Been screwing nd filters on lenses so that's no sweat to get a set of those in 62mm so long as its with you when you need it
I'm really excited and the next month is going to be like a really really long christmas eve...
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series