DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-lx-fz-zs-series/)
-   -   Panasonic LX100 - 4K Video M43 Compact (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-lx-fz-zs-series/524976-panasonic-lx100-4k-video-m43-compact.html)

Ken Ross November 4th, 2014 03:30 PM

Re: Panasonic LX100 - 4K Video M43 Compact

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1866860)
It should look the same as both share the same sensor, the same profiles and use the same codec, mainly the lens is different. Also Marc's video was shot on a cloudy day, everything looks better when it's cloudy since the camera doesn't have to deal with high contrasts.

True, but for whatever reason (in-camera sharpening?), I see more detail here than I do in the GH4 videos I've seen or those that I've shot.

The color is also very nicely balanced and better than I was ever able to achieve in my GH4.

But yes, you are correct, video is always easier and less 'stressful' for the camera on cloudy days.

Mark Rosenzweig November 4th, 2014 04:00 PM

No sun until Thursday here. I may be able to sneak in some video then. This is gopro weather!

Noa Put November 4th, 2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1866867)
True, but for whatever reason (in-camera sharpening?), I see more detail here than I do in the GH4 videos

What makes a difference in detail is when you select "upgrade to 1080p" in vimeo, standard the videos are converted to 720p but you need to upgrade the video to 1080p yourself and the source video needs to be 1080p as well, vimeo does not do this automatically, in fact vimeo discourages you to do this as they say 720p plays better on all devices. it could also be that in the free accounts this is not possible, I can see a clear increase in detail if I select the 1080p option.

Peer Landa November 5th, 2014 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1866886)
What makes a difference in detail is when you select "upgrade to 1080p" in vimeo, standard the videos are converted to 720p but you need to upgrade the video to 1080p yourself [...]

Little did I know. Thanks.

-- peer

Noa Put November 5th, 2014 06:27 AM

I was not aware about this either until a few weeks back, I couldn't understand why some users with the same camera as I had managed to get so detailed uploads on vimeo until someone pointed me to that 1080p upgrade option and suddenly my uploads became much crisper and clearer. I think many users don't know about this either which is why people see difference in detail because some are 720p and others 1080p converted.

Mark Rosenzweig November 5th, 2014 09:44 AM

I always upload the 4K version, and anyone who joins Vimeo can download the 4K original (not ooc original of course). If someone really wants to judge video quality it seems strange to look only at the highly re-compressed streaming version, even if it's 1080 (mine stream at 1080).

Ken Ross November 5th, 2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1866886)
What makes a difference in detail is when you select "upgrade to 1080p" in vimeo, standard the videos are converted to 720p but you need to upgrade the video to 1080p yourself and the source video needs to be 1080p as well, vimeo does not do this automatically, in fact vimeo discourages you to do this as they say 720p plays better on all devices. it could also be that in the free accounts this is not possible, I can see a clear increase in detail if I select the 1080p option.

No, I'm talking about downloading the 4K LX100 videos from Vimeo and watching them on my 4K monitor. That's the only way I've compared 4K from the GH4, AX100, LX100 and any other 4K acquisition device.

But yes, I know about the uploading process with the manual selection of upgrading to 1080p.

Michael Thames November 5th, 2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1866860)
It should look the same as both share the same sensor, the same profiles and use the same codec, mainly the lens is different. Also Marc's video was shot on a cloudy day, everything looks better when it's cloudy since the camera doesn't have to deal with high contrasts.

Hum...... why do I like this image better than the GH4, could it be the lens? This most likely will be my next camera! The price is amazing considering the lens.

What is the recording limit on this or does in not have one?

Andy Wilkinson November 5th, 2014 10:58 AM

Michael,

15 mins in 4K mode…but there is a possibility (I have yet to see hard evidence) that the Leica badged variant (which I believe will have a different firmware and is only very slightly less of a bargain, price wise) MIGHT have a 29 minute limit…Let's hope so!

Noa Put November 5th, 2014 11:23 AM

Here that Leica is over 20% more expensive, about that recording limit, are you sure it's 15 minutes? On the panasonic spec sheet I see that continuous recording time is approx. 90 min (4K/25p) and approx. 120 min (FHD/50p) but then again the actual recording time is half that so I don't understand what they are referring to.

Andy Wilkinson November 5th, 2014 11:44 AM

Re: Panasonic LX100 - 4K Video M43 Compacted

Noa,

On the Panasonic spec sheet there is a note (one of many at the bottom) that lists the 15 minute limit in 4K mode.

On the Leica spec sheet there is, currently, no note (just the up to 29 minutes listed in the spec). Time will tell if the lack of a qualifying note regarding a 4K time limit of 15 mins is an omission....or not. I suspect both cams might be the same but let's wait and see - if the Leica does have a different firmware we might just get lucky!

Noa Put November 5th, 2014 11:49 AM

Ah the fine print...:) I guess they are trying to guarantee you get 15 minutes of recording time no matter what instead of risking that the camera shuts down mid recording due to overheating.

Mark Rosenzweig November 6th, 2014 10:09 AM

Erick Munari November 6th, 2014 09:28 PM

It seems that given sensor/lens combination, it does not allow for much shallow DOF, unless you are very close to the subject? Otherwise is mostly an 'everything in focus' look?

Noa Put November 7th, 2014 01:37 AM

At f1.7 when wide open you can get a narrower shallow dof with obects that are closer to you then with any other comparable pocket(able)camera out there but as soon as that distance increases you'd get more front to back sharpness, for lenses this wide the only other option would be to get a full frame camera and a fast 24mm lens prime but then you don't have a pocketcamera anymore.