Panasonic LX100 - 4K Video M43 Compact - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:01 AM   #91
Trustee

Re: Panasonic LX100 - 4K Video M43 Compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Hi Mark -

Second time I've noticed some strange handling of "hot" magenta/pink color with clips you've posted from this camera (@35 and 40 seconds). The prior one was a comparison with the GH4 & AX100. Just curious if you've noticed it? Overall the camera seems to hold up fairly well, so the macroblocking with that color range really stuck out when I looked at the clips.
Dave, I think what you're seeing is a bit of chroma noise in reds & magentas. I've seen this on both the GH4 and LX100. You really need to tame the color on these cameras, as sometimes the color looks excellent and at other times it looks a bit too saturated.

However the introduction of chroma noise in reds is something I haven't seen in the last several cameras I've owned. It used to be very common with tape-based video cameras. However, given the overall excellent PQ of the LX100 along with its diminutive size, it's just a minor annoyance. Taming the color saturation does minimize the issue.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:02 PM   #92
Inner Circle

I see it as a blotchy macroblocking area in the center screen portion of the flower in the clip @35, and the Subsequent clip @40 in the pinks on the bouncy seat to the left of the center of the screen - really only noticed because it showed up in one of Marks' other samples, there it was well off center, so not quite so obvious.

Actually I've seen reds behave similarly with tape Pannys, so I guess it brings back memories. Just haven't seen anything similar on any other clips from other cameras. Still looking for a "pocket" 4K since the RX100M3 is "just" 1080...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #93
Trustee

I've seen chroma noise in reds on lots of older tape-based cameras. It was an issue on my older Sonys too.

Dave, I don't see macroblocking in Mark's video or shots I've made with my LX (viewing the 4K download on a 4K monitor) in the reds & purples, just some chroma noise. I believe this behavior is more likely if the color saturation is set too high.

On the whole, the 4K PQ of this little camera is absolutely stunning. Stills are excellent too. Absent the long zoom of the AX100, I actually find myself preferring the 4K PQ of the LX over my AX. That's something I never thought I'd say. The adjustability of picture parameters far surpasses that of the AX100.

The biggest issue for me is acclimating to the 3X optical zoom, but I don't think they could have incorporated a much longer zoom in a body of this size.
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #94
Trustee

Comparing the Auto White Balance of the Panasonic GH4 and LX100: Dynamic Test

Two clips for each camera. Both in auto white balance mode. First, going from 5600K (daylight) to 3500K (incandescent), then going from incandescent to daylight. The first camera for each sequence is the GH4.

You can see that the GH4 AWB never compensates fully under incandescent light. The LX100 nails it under both lighting conditions. The speed of adjustment is similar for the two cameras.

The GH4 uses the Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens. The LX100 lens is extended so that the f is 2.8. For both ev was set to -1/3.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #95
Trustee

Interesting test Mark, thanks.
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #96
Trustee

Plenty of reds...
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #97
Tourist

Hello Mark. Could You tell me why all my video on LX100 looks so jerky, like the motion is stoped for a moment after every few (maybe 10 or so) frames. I record in 4k 25 frame per sec, and then downscale with Adobe Premiere Elements to 1080p/25/40Mbit/s. It is not matter where I play that file, on my laptop i7/8GB and Nvidea graphic card with 2GB ram, or on media player connect to panasonic FHD plasma. Thanks.

I forgot to mention, Recording mode is shutter priority set on 1/50 sec speed, and i am trying not panning with camera, or do it very slow.
Emil Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #98
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Serafin View Post
Hello Mark. Could You tell me why all my video on LX100 looks so jerky, like the motion is stoped for a moment after every few (maybe 10 or so) frames. I record in 4k 25 frame per sec, and then downscale with Adobe Premiere Elements to 1080p/25/40Mbit/s. It is not matter where I play that file, on my laptop i7/8GB and Nvidea graphic card with 2GB ram, or on media player connect to panasonic FHD plasma. Thanks.

I forgot to mention, Recording mode is shutter priority set on 1/50 sec speed, and i am trying not panning with camera, or do it very slow.
First, play a 4K clip in the camera, looking at the lcd screen. Play ok?

Second, take a 4K clip straight from the camera and play it on your computer - do not convert it. Does the camera clip play without glitches? If yes to both, then it is your software/conversion that is mucking up your video. Your technique and hardware are fine. But, what is your operating system?

You could also download the original 4K video I uploaded from Vimeo and try playing that. Then convert it using your software.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:54 PM   #99
Trustee

Old December 26th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #100
Regular Crew

Do you guys have a preferred method to downconvert the 4K image to HD in order to preserve the best possible quality? What to and not to do? On either Premiere or FCPX.
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #101
Inner Circle

I just edit 25p 4K in a 25p 1080p project in edius 7 and then render out with the same settings as the project, either to a hqavi file or a mp4 in any bitrate needed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #102
Trustee

He haven't painted in years so we decided that we should make a video of him painting again and see how it goes. Here's the outcome.

All of the timelapse parts were shot with the Panasonic AC90. The part with him singing and talking about the painting were shot with the LX100.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #103
Trustee

I basically took a native clip off that card and uploaded to YouTube. Shot in 3840x2160p30. Shutter of 30, Aperture of around f/1.7 at it's widest and it obviously changed a bit when I zoomed it. Auto focus was at auto. I was sort of looking at the settings on the camera while shooting which wasn't the brightest idea. I really should have practiced a bit shooting with the camera handheld before I shot this.

Anyway, does anyone know what I need to do in order to see my adjustments live on the screen? It works if I hit record first but I want to see my adjustments live before I hit record.

Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #104
Trustee

Old December 30th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #105
Trustee

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series