DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-lx-fz-zs-series/)
-   -   Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-lx-fz-zs-series/528719-anyone-using-fz1000-weddings.html)

Roger Gunkel July 1st, 2015 11:37 AM

Re: Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings?

Well I see it as a bit of a mixed bag, the colour is very good and it's very sharp, but there is massive burnout on the sky and white shirts and dress at times. My Panny video cams are very good at dealing with those sort of problems, so I am disappointed with the burnout on the video. I would hope that setting the camera up properly would sort that out, but something to experiment with.

Roger

Noa Put July 1st, 2015 02:54 PM

I think the burnout is also because he overexposed his shots, the DR of this camera is probably a bit limited so exposing correctly becomes more critical.

Colin Rowe July 1st, 2015 04:13 PM

As Noa said, its over exposed. But you are never going to get everything perfectly exposed in harsh sunlight. It looks like a light was used on some of the interior shots, and not exposed correctly. I find the histogram very accurate on the FZ1000. Maybe it was shot in P mode or ia rather than manual. This camera really needs to be used in manual to get the best out of it.

Roger Gunkel July 1st, 2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1891307)
As Noa said, its over exposed. But you are never going to get everything perfectly exposed in harsh sunlight. It looks like a light was used on some of the interior shots, and not exposed correctly. I find the histogram very accurate on the FZ1000. Maybe it was shot in P mode or ia rather than manual. This camera really needs to be used in manual to get the best out of it.

I think you are probably right on the ia mode, as the FZ200 will burn out in those sort of lighting conditions on ia, so I always use the manual settings.

Roger

Chris Harding July 3rd, 2015 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Roger

As requested .. here is how I mounted the little splitter and level controls on the camera ...works pretty well but it would have been nicer if I have found a black box not a cream coloured one!!!

Chris

Roger Gunkel July 3rd, 2015 01:58 AM

Now that is exactly how I thought it should be and the same as mine when I get the bits. Can't you just spray it black with an aerosol spray paint?

Roger

Chris Harding July 3rd, 2015 04:48 AM

Hey Roger

I think I should have bought the black box! I think paint will peel off the shiny plastic too. They had black boxes but they had tabs at the bottom so it could be mounted to a base and thinking about it now I could have quite easily cut the tabs off!! Total cost (including the box and knobs) was $12.32 so that wasn't too bad an investment.

The "commercial" 2 channel mixer on the other hand was $139.00! but I'm getting a refund!!

I was going to mount the box directly over the hot shoe but then the knobs would have been in the way if I need to use the EVF at outdoor weddings when the sun is right behind me so I made a simple aluminium bracket that not only lifts the box a bit up but also towards the front of the camera so the controls are clear of the viewfinder.

Hopefully your camera should arrive pretty soon??? I have no weddings for 4 weeks but I do have a commercial Real estate shoot on Monday that I will do with the FZ1000 ...

Chris

Chris

Chris Harding July 3rd, 2015 05:10 AM

Now, regarding the blown out highlights on that video that Noa, Roger and Colin mentioned..I wonder where the guy set the iDynamic menu option ... it works a bit like my Nikon's D-Lighting and where you have a huge exposure difference between the foreground and background the camera will balance out the shot. I do a lot of Real estate photography so often I'm in an empty room with one or two windows have light streaming in but the rest of the room has indoor lighting. Nikon's D-Lighting works wonders so the exposed windows don't blow out as they normally would ... I must test out some video on my realty shoot next week and see if it works the same

Nevertheless I still would rather have a blown out sky than a blown out wedding dress ...I think he maybe did something wrong there???

Kyle Root July 3rd, 2015 06:43 AM

Colors looked pretty good on that last clip - maybe a bit over saturated for me personally. WB was a little all over the place as well, but overall it looked nice.

Now that Sony has released their new 4K compact cameras, it will be interesting to see if Panasonic does a FZ2000 or 1000m2.

Noa Put July 3rd, 2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Now that Sony has released their new 4K compact cameras, it will be interesting to see if Panasonic does a FZ2000 or 1000m2.
You do know the fz1000 is a 4K camera and that is has been released not that long ago?

Roger Gunkel July 3rd, 2015 07:19 AM

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a pretty good saving over the commercial mixer :-)

On the blowout of the video footage, I used quite a lot of footage from my FZ200 on the last wedding and it looked way better than some of the footage on the posted video. It took me a while when I first got it to get used to setting it up properly, but should give me enough information to set the FZ1000 up pretty quickly.

I have received an email from HK saying that they are shipping my FZ1000 and I will receive a tracking number shortly, so hopefully will arrive late next week in time for 3 schools shoots on the trot.

Roger

Noa Put July 3rd, 2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1891464)
I think he maybe did something wrong there???

Yes, he overexposed the image :)

Chris Harding July 3rd, 2015 08:38 AM

Duh Noa

I realise that ..it's pretty obvious .. I was just wondering what menu settings he might have not looked on the menu ..You can adjust the dynamic balance and the high light range too ..It actually has a lot more exposure adjustments than my Sony's and yes, you can do a thumbwheel ISO adjust too like we wanted on the EA-50! I do like the way Panasonic always make their thumb wheels go left or right to adjust and then you push the wheel in to set the adjustment so it can all be done with one finger.

Roger Gunkel July 3rd, 2015 08:58 AM

That thumb wheel adjustment is the same on the FZ200, it is so convenient and easy.

Roger

Roger Gunkel July 8th, 2015 04:16 AM

My FZ1000 is out for delivery today, I hope they've sent the right camera this time!!!!!!

Roger