Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings? - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old July 8th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #166
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone using the FZ1000 for weddings?

Brilliant Roger

Soon you can play to your hearts content! I did two Realty shoots today and the footage is excellent!!

Once you have fiddled a bit I have some questions for you and if you have any I will gladly do my best to answer them!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #167
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
My FZ1000 is out for delivery today, I hope they've sent the right camera this time!!!!!!

Roger
:) Surely, it has to be Roger.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #168
Regular Crew

Uummh, bump!
Great thread!
Anything else I should know before dropping my hard earned cash on one?
Or is there another thread with more info?
Cant get the search function to work on my android tablet, which is all I have to use at moment.
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #169
Inner Circle

Hi Jack

Brilliant cameras and awesome footage too!! You can pickup a few wedding highlights shot on the FZ1000's on my You Tube channel if you need to see the sort of result you get.

https://www.youtube.com/user/softweigh

Roger started another thread right here which you also might find useful .... a bit more recent than this one but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ix-fz1000.html

Chris
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #170
Regular Crew

Thanks heaps for that, Chris!
Definitely nice footage there, has made my decision easier.
Some interesting reading in the "Using the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000" thread.
Might head over there, to ask questions!
Old November 18th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #171
Trustee

Could anyone tell me how long this will record? Panasonic's website has this:

Continuous recordable time (motion pictures)
MP4Approx. 110 min

Actual recordable time (motion pictures)
MP4Approx. 55 min

Is that true? Rather than the usual 30 minute time limit?

I am considering picking up a pair of these to shoot 4K at weddings as stationary cameras. Sort of like I use my 4K GoPro...
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #172
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

Sadly no! The camera is crippled to record 30 minutes at a time in AVCHD then it needs to be reset. In MP4 which I prefer to use it's actually a bit less ...At 25P it does runs of 27 minutes as the MP4 format has a maximum file size of 4GB and recording stops when you get to EITHER 30 minutes OR the file size exceeds 4GB

Is a GH4 out of your budget? That has continuous recording and interchangeable lenses and, of course 4K ... I haven't had any issues with the time limit so far even with Catholic ceremonies but if you need a camera stuck up on a Church balcony that needs to run 15 minutes before the ceremony right thru to once the bride has exited then it isn't going to work ... It seems a shame to also use something as good as the GH4 just as a safety camera!! I still use my Chinese SJ4000's for set and forget cameras and found they are cheap as chips and don't give me hassles the GoPros used to give me...but again no 4K
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #173
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Is a GH4 out of your budget? That has continuous recording and interchangeable lenses and, of course 4K
I'm hoping to find something cheaper since I want two of them. Largely, I like the idea of 4K for the up front side aisle cams where I can digitally zoom in for the vows later. I can get two of these FZs ready to shoot for the same price as just one GH4 Body.

I don't mind the 30 minute time limit. Most ceremonies I make one lap to refresh everything now (70Ds up front), but will be shooting solo from now on. Instead of 3 DSLRs and a GoPro, I was thinking 4 cameras (maybe 2 camcorders and 2 DSLRs) and a GoPro for the ceremony, then 2 DSLRs with decent low light at the reception.
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #174
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

I have no issues with the limit .. I wonder how the Panasonics will mix with the Canons? The footage from them is nicely saturated and incredibly sharp compared to my old Sony cameras ... I'm using two at ceremonies and they really are amazing value for money and have way more features than I expected ... I only found out a few weeks ago that you also have a "resume zoom function" so if you are zoomed up a bit on the couple and turn the camera off while the couple sign the register, you can turn it back on and it reverts straight back to your previous zoom setting ...I got tired also of changing lenses so the 25-400 zoom covers everything! Yeah, 4K will blow you away the resolution is mind blowing!!! Have a look at some samples on YouTube ..Just search for FZ1000 4K
Old November 19th, 2015, 05:31 AM   #175
Regular Crew

I normally use two 70Ds up front, same as you Robert. With a Sony FX1000 running in the aisle, Seem to be able match the colours OK with those three. But mixing the "FZ1000" presents more of a challenge, got lots of green to deal with. Have tried mixing with the 70Ds, with some success by dialling the white balance more to the red and yellow side, then have a play in post, using "resolve". that gets it close...

I really need to have at least three cameras the same, preferably without the time limit thing. Or at least the one in the Aisle have no time limit, also, be 4K for cropping later

Just reading this thread, I can see I'm not the only one trying to sort this out.
Old November 19th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #176
Inner Circle

I must admit I have always gone for matched cameras so I have never had the problem. To be honest I would rather shoot with just two cameras //one locked on the couple and running all the audio and a second for cutaways and reverse shots and of course bridal entry/exit and register signing. I do run the action cam as a "semi-aerial" static on a light stand high above the main camera and it's great to keep photogs out of the shot and makes a nice occasional super wide cutaway but if I can I only use it if I really have to as there is a fair amount of extra colour correction involved and I'd rather have the time for myself!

There is nothing wrong with using your B-Cam handheld and doing the odd cutaway to keep the first half of the ceremony from getting boring then during vows you can move to the side and behind to grab some nice reverse angle shots. ... and it only needs two cameras which are my FZ1000's
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #177
Inner Circle

Jack asked in a different thread about how far away the Wifi remote app works on the camera. I have used it at 20 feet, but could maybe be longer especially if line of sight. Can be very useful to restart, or just stop/start when needed. You can also view the footage live on pad or phone and adjust zoom, aperture etc. Can be extremely useful in the right situation.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #178
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
To be honest I would rather shoot with just two cameras //one locked on the couple and running all the audio and a second for cutaways and reverse shots and of course bridal entry/exit and register signing.
We don't have a signing here. However, my main issue is that I want opposite side cameras for the vows. Then the aisle cam is a safety to those. The entire rest of the time, I pretty much only use 2 cameras. However, moving to solo shooting, I was thinking I"d have more stationary, unmanned style cameras pre positioned for certain moments (my GoPro, in the balcony, is pretty much just for the processional and recessional, for instance), and then I'd have one camera on a mono pod for cutaways and such.

With the wifi remote app.... hmmm, that would be nice.

Well, I can pick up FZ1000s for about $700 (refurbished or gently used). Maybe I'll get 2 now, and consider more later. That would still leave an issue for receptions.

The low light performance isn't all that great, though, right? If we're comparing to Canons, is it about like the 70D, which is fine til ISO 1600, but really, really should be pushed past 2500?
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #179
Trustee

Kind of depending what your tolerance is. I've known many Videographers who'd never go beyond 1600, whereas I'll shoot 6400 and damn the noise. Bright noisy vs dark and clean. I'd rather see what's going on through grain than squint in a gloomy image.

The fz1000 has a variable zoom so you lose 2.8 once you zoom in. Noise levels at 2.8 I see from samples compare to the GH4, not too unsurprising. So good until the lights are low, then I'd think you'd see a difference to the 70d. You can always pick up one and try it out. If you don't mind the time limit and looking for extra cameras on a budget, its worth your while. Not sure how easy it'll match the look of your 70d though.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #180
Trustee

Thanks, Steve, Roger.

I found a good video laying out its issues.

It looks like the low light is about the same as my Canon 70D. At receptions I already use my 5d Mark ii as my primary, and pretty much by itself once the dancing starts. These are cheap enough I could buy two, and keep my current cameras. Matching problems be darned.

The only other thing I have real issue with is the battery/card door being blocked by the quick release plates. However, if the battery will get me past an hour, these will do their job just fine. If its a Catholic mass, my only possible hour+ stretch without a break, I can change batteries/cards during communion.

F/4 at 500mm (in 4K) would be a wonderful problem to have. Boo hoo. Right now I have a cheap STM leans with 250mm reach (so... 300+mm equivalent) at f/5.6 and the same 30 minute time limit. At least with these I can link each to a cheap android tablet and restart them as appropriate.

I glanced at some camcorders, but it looks like what I'd want is a lot more expensive.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series