My FZ1000 has arrived at last. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old July 15th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: My FZ1000 has arrived at last.

Hi Steve

Absolutely!! I sometime get brides here who want to have the ceremony inside a dark gazebo but still expect the cityscape background to look as it does to the human eye ..just doesn't work that way!!

Thanks for the info as well Roger .. I trust at this stage you are reasonably happy too?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Very happy at the moment Chris and getting ready for tonight's show. I do need to find a digital to analogue lead to convert the FZ1000 output to analogue for my live mixer input. screen.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #48
Trustee

What's the bokeh like on this fz1000 Roger? Is there any or is it a flat video look? Do.You think it's better than rx10? Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #49
Inner Circle

There is reasonable bokeh on the camera particularly if you are using moderate zoom but I have never used the RX10 so really don't know how it compares. Bokeh is not something that I am a great devotee of and Chris can probably give you a better idea than me, but although useable, it wont't be comparable with a full frame DSLR if Bokeh is your thing.

Roger
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

You cannot expect the same sort of effect as a full frame DSLR and a 50mm F1.8 lens of course but as Roger says it's just right for me. On my EA-50 I used to struggle with the APSC sensor and F1.8 at receptions ..this has a smaller chip than the GH4 so you do get a nice DOF when wide but the zoom does close the aperture to F4 once you get up to the bigger ranges and it is there so it can be used effectively for portrait shots ..it even has a "blur background" option on the control wheel. I'm just glad I will have enough DOF so people on the other side of the table are not out of focus ..shallow DOF can be overdone !!

Yeah Roger we don't have a video out on this camera so you will have to go HDMI to a D/A convertor to get a mixer signal I think!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #51
Trustee

There really is no camera that does it all. Shallow depth of field needs larger sensors and fast primes. The big advantage of a 1" sensor camera is to have a deeper depth of field to allow easier run n gun use. Even 2.8 at wide angle won't give much depth of field unless the subject is right in front of you. I like shallow depth of field and good bokeh, but not in every shot, so something like the RX10 or fz1000 would be more ideal in those situations where I don't need it than say my GH4.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Do.You think it's better than rx10? Steve
It will be easer to achieve a shallow dof with the rx10 because it remains a constant f2.8 throughout the zoomrange.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #53
Trustee

Thanks guys, i love my 5diii and 6ds the look is so great not all the time of course, so i am waiting for the a7s ii and in between that coming i need a good little cam for back up and holidays and maybe extra for the weddings, fz1000 or rx10? What yas reckon. Thanks for replies by the way...
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #54
Trustee

Any guesses which camera Chris and Roger will recommend??

Really, its down to budget, and if the extra features like constant 2.8, s-log, nd filter and a few extra pieces of functionality are important enough to justify the higher price. The fz1000 has a longer zoom reach. Both have slowmo, but a recent review of the rx10 ii suggests it's 100fps is superior to the GH4, which implies also superior to the fz1000. If you're going down Sony anyway with the a7s ii then the Rx10 ii would be a better compliment to the camera.
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #55
Trustee

Cheers stevie boy. Thought so..
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #56
Trustee

After very very serious thought, i cannot get rid of my brilliant canon 70d for the rx10 or the fz1000, neither have touch screen which i use all the time running and gunning in the mix of busy weddings. yes when i switch to the 5d and 6d i am full manual focus but there are times when you have to simply use auto focus. the 70d is that good, ye it sucks over 1600 iso but then the full frame comes in, i can even switch to 50mm 1.4 and get good results. the specs on both cams fz1000 and rx10 are not enough to go with them. so the hunt goes on for the dream bokeh , dream auto focus continuous cam, with stabilization, full frame cream of the crop. Please tell me otherwise guys
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #57
Inner Circle

I think any comparisons between the RX10 and FZ1000 are really academic as there are certain things that one does better than the other, but I wouldn't say either was better, from the reviews. People cherry pick certain bits like fixed aperture zoom, or 4k ability but does it really matter?

What makes a good camera for me is one that does what I want now, and fits in with my other gear. I also need to feel comfortable and confident with it, but I am not looking for the holy grail. The FZ1000 is Panasonic, so fits in with my other gear and the fact that I have always found Panasonic equipment to be very reliable. That probably gives me more confidence than other makes that I always seem to have had problems with over the years. The most important thing is that by using this camera, I will be able to do what I do better/quicker/to a higher quality what have you, without spending large sums of money on the camera and ancillary equipment, or having to sell other stuff to pay for it. If it does the job that I expect it to do, then I will also be able to quickly buy another for Claire, to give us both identical 3 camera video rigs with stills ability which are very light and portable. I may well also get a third, as the first two schools shoots have been great and a third will give us a matching 3 camera rig to replace the current one. At the end of the day I want to make money out of it without crippling investment in high end gear weighing me down.

The Sony RX10 will probably have a similar appeal to those already in the Sony camp and wanting a fast run and gun camera, so you pays yer money and makes yer choice. :-)

Roger

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; July 15th, 2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #58
Trustee

I get your good points roger, but looking the past hour on stats and reviews and studying all cameras the 70d is the only one i can use with ease on a fast wedding day.
In good light morning prep and arrivals and exit n mingling and slide shots and getting low and swivel screen and glide cam and speeches filming guests and unexpected the 70d excels.
Low light in church switch to 6d 5d and the speeches dark dungeons 5d 6d.
Low light dance and mingling full frame for sure. I think that's why i will wait for the a7s ii so long as it will have touch screen and stabilization the two key elements for a wedding in my eyes. Apart from framing and story of course. No doubt the Rx10 & FZ1000 are good cams but just not professional enough in the nitty gritty. Please prove me wrong.....
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
People cherry pick certain bits like fixed aperture zoom, or 4k ability but does it really matter?
The answer is yes, but not for everyone. I have a 4K Wedding in the Autumn, so naturally this feature is important. 2.8 constant aperture allows better scope for zooming in without loss of low light performance, better depth of field, but again, it depends where you're coming from, what your other equipment is. When I'm balancing a camera with a GH4, GH3 and fast primes, I'm going to prefer higher low light performance to better match in post. If I was looking to buy a number of the little critters, I'd probably go for the fz1000 as the cost makes this more viable. Obviously the RX10 earns its higher price with more features - whether they're important to you or if they can be worked around like nd filter, is down to personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
After very very serious thought, i cannot get rid of my brilliant canon 70d for the rx10 or the fz1000, neither have touch screen which i use all the time running and gunning in the mix of busy weddings.

Please tell me otherwise guys
I admit the lack of touch screen does concern me with these cameras, but their other functions and in particular the long zoom, which for the GH4 would require 2 different lenses more than makes up for it. It would also better serve as a travel camera than the GH4.

Really when it comes down to it is that the RX10 fills a function - its not a replacement to my other cameras, its there to compliment them and be used in situations where my GH4 is less practical. For Bridal Preps, Ceremonies, Speeches, 1st Dance and all the beauty shots, I expect to still use the GH4. Its things like Bride's arrival, where a long zoom to wide angle would be welcome, leaving the church, again zooming in to start with, then back out. Quick selection of ND when I follow the couple outside, superior slowmo by all accounts for the confetti, Bride and Grooms exit. There are other cases I'm sure I can think of given time. Now I'm handling these shots very well with the GH4, but the RX10 would make them easier to pull off and allow a greater zoom range. For me its on my list, not in the next few months, but by the end of the year, certainly.
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #60
Trustee

Good points Steve...My mind flows with full frame though, it gets my juices flowing when i then start to edit, when i edit bits of the ceremony and speeches where i use a back up camcorder wide on the top table or isle shot or ceremony i cringe at the lack lustre footage boring and flat... Dslr full frame staccato effect is why i carry on otherwise i would just be the normal boring wedding video i see every where.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series