LUMIX FZ1000 user update - Page 4 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old September 20th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: LUMIX FZ1000 user update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I'd recommend the FZ1000 to someone who shot Panasonic just on grounds that it might be a better match for what they already have/use/are familiar with... even though a Sony would be my first preference. The postings discussing the camera here have solidified that it would be a "safe" recommendation.
I would consider getting a fz1000 as imagewise it would complement my gh4 which is why those comparison videos where linked to, only after have seen those video's the camera would not be suitable for my needs and not a "safe recommendation", that comparison was very important to know how the fz1000 preforms in low light and since it was compared to my own camera I know exactly how it does now at a comparible f-stop. This is also very useful for any other gh4 owner that thinks about getting this as a b-camera to know what the limitations are.

It was only made very clearly this info was either not interesting or irrelevant because it was not a problem for it's current owners that started the thread. If you look at it like that then it's better to start your own blog which I would recommend to Roger if he wants to have total control what needs to be censored or not if it's not in line with his opinion and he can even ban users if he is tired of listening to them, however, that's also partially possible here as well as there is a "ignore" option so you don't have to read certain users messages which, as I found out, works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding
At last night's wedding I would have used an F2.8 on the Sony and then my usual setup of two 125W CFL lights bounced back into an umbrella to get a reasonable image ...I did just that on the Panasonic and it was way too much light . in fact it blew the picture out and I had to turn one off!
It's with comments like "my sony would have died!" that you get a topic off topic because you can expect this to be questioned, the way you say it know is much better because it gives existing nex-ea50 users an idea about how the fz1000 would perform under the same circumstances at a f-stop of f2.8, a video ofcourse proving this would be perfect. This is exactly the same info I have been trying to give for a gh4 owner and I think this very valuable for any interested buyer, it's not about this vs that camera like you constantly keep on repeating, it's about providing clear info to provide a better understanding how this camera performs instead of saying "it"s not a problem for me".
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Unless you have both models at the same time it's not easy to do a comparison. I did put a highlight clip on page one of this post and all the footage at the end was shot without any lighting so it's much easier for me. One would expect an APSC camera like the EA-50 to be technically better in low light than a 1" sensor so I guess the signal processing is a whole lot better??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Having decided to withdraw from DV info 3 days ago, I have been persuaded to do a U-turn by several very kind, persuasive and supportive emails from members.

Contrary to suggestions, I did not withdraw because of others disagreeing with my views or being over sensitive, but because I felt that a number of comments on this and previous fz1000 threads were becoming very personal and sometimes mocking. As someone who is quite prepared to stand up for himself, the options seemed to be to ignore, respond and risk dragging down the good natured tone of the forum, or withdrawing.

I hope that by returning, the discussions can be kept on the subject rather than personalities involved.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Nice to have you back Roger

Had two weddings this weekend and the cameras worked very well ..no issues at all!!
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #50
Inner Circle

To cover a number of points, my reasons for posting in the weddings and events forums, was because I bought the cameras specifically for that use and was interested in what others using this comparatively new camera we're finding. The Panasonic thread does not have a section for the FZ cameras which is a shame, as there would be the provision for threads on different adpects of the camera without lumping all together. Steve mentioned the fact that I had started 4 threads on the Fz1000, but to be fair, in the Panasonic section when I looked the other day, there were 13 threads on the first page on the G4 alone, not to mention innumerable threads on other cameras under the Panasonic sub grouping. I hope that Chris Hurd will respond to Chris Hardings request for an FZ grouping.

Regarding low light performance, I fully understand that some feel it important to compare test results between various cameras for the benefit of others that may be considering the camera. From a purely personal point of view, once concerns have been expressed, I feel it equally important to find out how users are managing with the camera in low light. Do improvements in image processing allow manual changes to be made which enhance the low light performance of the camera in the field or are users finding the limitations a problem?

A camera with interchangeable lenses will allow a much faster lens to be used at higher telephoto ranges in low light with a wider aperture setting. I have other lenses for my EOS 550, but one of the reasons for buying the FZ1000 was to do away with the need to carry extra lenses, providing it didn't compromise my ability to get the end results that I needed. That means that I need to be prepared to use extra light if necessary under circumstances where a bigger sensor and faster primes may be sufficient on some other cameras. So far I have only needed to do that on one occasion where all lights were turned out, but unlike Noa, haven't had to film in a candlelight only situation with the FZ1000. The vast majority of my hours at a wedding are in full to medium light conditions where the camera has given excellent results with speed and convenience for video and photography. For me that is why I bought the camera, and the occasional extreme low light situations are something that I use alternatives for if necessary.

I am not in love with the camera and it is certainly not perfect and there are various things also like the lack of a variable creeping zoom that I have to forego, but for sheer flexibility and picture quality it does just what I need, but would not be suitable for many. All other cameras at whatever price have their limitations, whether due to performance, size, audio, lenses etc, and it is always enlightening to find out how others use their cameras.

I may have started this thread aimed at users, but it is not my thread to control and I hope that all opinions can be considered on a respectful basis as expected on the forum.

Roger
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Nice to have you back Roger

Had two weddings this weekend and the cameras worked very well ..no issues at all!!
How are you getting on with the stills compared to the Nikons?

Roger
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #52
Major Player

Welcome back Roger.
I have found this to be a very informative thread. Never be afraid to give opinion or advice no matter what others might say. There will always be people who can take something useful from these opinions even if they don't post. It also true that people can end up arguing without really meaning to in forums on the internet.
Whilst the camera is not for me, it must be very tempting to many people due to the price and performance
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
Welcome back Roger.
I have found this to be a very informative thread. Never be afraid to give opinion or advice no matter what others might say. There will always be people who can take something useful from these opinions even if they don't post. It also true that people can end up arguing without really meaning to in forums on the internet.
Whilst the camera is not for me, it must be very tempting to many people due to the price and performance
Thanks Andrew,
Both the FZ1000 and RX10 are going to appeal to very similar users, with the Panny having the greater telephoto range and the Sony having the constant 2.8 aperture across the smaller zoom range. I liked the constant 2.8 on my FZ200 cams, but the 2/3 sensor made it lose a lot in low light. Those that prefer the look of one make over another, or have other cams of the same make will probably choose accordingly.

Roger
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

Slightly off topic but I staying with the Nikons for indoor stuff and using both the Nikon and FZ for outdoor shoots ... Still need to find a TTL flash for the Pannys
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #55
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
. One would expect an APSC camera like the EA-50 to be technically better in low light than a 1" sensor so I guess the signal processing is a whole lot better??
Your comment recalls my experience with the GH3 when I first used it in conjunction with the Canon 60d I already owned. I expected to continue using the 60d for indoors whilst using the GH3 for run n gun as I had the GH2. I was quite surprised to see the GH3 outperform the 60d in low-light despite the smaller sensor and the Canon was sold on soon after.

If I was jumping from the 60d to the FZ1000, I'd expect I'd be mightily impressed by low light performance and image quality in general. Coming from the inbetween upgrades of the GH3 and 4, obviously this alters my perspective. Not sure how old your ea50s are, but image quality has come a long way in the last few years.

Ultimately how users respond to the FZ1000's low light will depend on what they're currently using now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Having decided to withdraw from DV info 3 days ago, I have been persuaded to do a U-turn by several very kind, persuasive and supportive emails from members.
It's a roller coaster this thread. :)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel
Contrary to suggestions, I did not withdraw because of others disagreeing with my views or being over sensitive, but because I felt that a number of comments on this and previous fz1000 threads were becoming very personal and sometimes mocking.
Totally agree Roger. Welcome back
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Bottom line is that for the price, there are some pretty impressive cameras... pluses and minuses, of course...

It took a long time for Chris H to get the Sony areas rearranged, so as one "orphaned category" to another, you're more than welcome to discuss the FZ1000 over under the threads on the Sony RX10... as far as I'm thinking, they are very similar cameras in "focus" and concept - so sort of fit together better than the ILC class cameras. Us outcasts gotta stick together!

FWIW, I've found that dropping shutter speed to 30 can bring up low light in a pinch, not sure how the FZ operates, but since 4K is 30p anyway, it seems to be workable. Maybe not ideal. but one way to squeeze a little more out of the darkness.

There are some "tricks" that are universal, and others that are brand specific, in the end the only thing that counts is that you got the shot, and didn't tear your hair out getting it... regardless of the label on the front or how much you spent!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

I know my Sony EA-50's defaulted to 1/25th in 25P mode (in your case it would be 1/30th and 30P) so I'm assuming the bride cameras (both Sony and Panasonic) would do that indoors? I don't seem to have any motion blur even with the dancing but then again it's a wedding so they just don't go wild! 25P seems to work pretty well both indoors and out plus I'm used to shooting in 25P as my Sony's used to give me a bit of posterization if any area was over-exposed and you were shooting 50P so I normally just use 50P for my stedicam shoot. The FZ has a beautiful 100fps slomo mode but when you start recording it locks the exposure so I cannot do my "roundie rounds" with the stedicam as I usually do a full 360 circle around the couple and try to get a sunburst on the way .... fixed exposure just blows out totally as I get to the bright section and stopping and restarting the camera spoils the flow totally. That's a big bummer as I was hoping to use the slomo feature for bridal shoots on stedicam!!
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:03 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Bottom line is that for the price, there are some pretty impressive cameras... pluses and minuses, of course...

It took a long time for Chris H to get the Sony areas rearranged, so as one "orphaned category" to another, you're more than welcome to discuss the FZ1000 over under the threads on the Sony RX10... as far as I'm thinking, they are very similar cameras in "focus" and concept - so sort of fit together better than the ILC class cameras. Us outcasts gotta stick together!

FWIW, I've found that dropping shutter speed to 30 can bring up low light in a pinch, not sure how the FZ operates, but since 4K is 30p anyway, it seems to be workable. Maybe not ideal. but one way to squeeze a little more out of the darkness.

There are some "tricks" that are universal, and others that are brand specific, in the end the only thing that counts is that you got the shot, and didn't tear your hair out getting it... regardless of the label on the front or how much you spent!
Hi Dave,

That could be a good intermediate compromise until a new category is available :-)

I've been experimenting with 25fps and 50fps (pal land) to see what differences I can find, no hard and fast conclusions yet though. I probably need to set up a fixed shot and switch from one to the other to really see the difference.

Roger
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:08 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Totally agree Roger. Welcome back
Hi Colin,

How did you get on with your 'out of retirement' wedding?

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series