LUMIX FZ1000 user update - Page 5 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old September 21st, 2015, 06:43 AM   #61
Trustee

Re: LUMIX FZ1000 user update

Whoah boys! - I don't check in for a while and there's been a fair bit of verbal biffo - let's relax.

I had an FZ200 as a backup cam and found it great, I got the FZ1000 and now have 2. I always have a 2nd shooter and we each have one hangng off the belt.

I've used them for bride & groom prep and they are great, I find the GH4 with FD lenses gives me a an image I like more - but the ease of using the FZ1000 really makes it a hard decision.

During ceremonies we both have the GH4 and the FZ1000 as a backup cam - it's great to be able to leave the GH4 on a fixed closeup and grab the FZ1000 for a quick shot of the MOB tearing up.

Up till sundown I feel I could get away with using the FZ1000 as the only camera, no problem.

In dim receptions I have a problem, maybe it's my settings but given a choice between a GH4 with my FD 85mm F1.2 ans the FZ1000 it's no contest.

I'll try to do some direct comparisions and put them up.
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:28 AM   #62
Inner Circle

I still have a pair of FZ200s that I use for quick grabs occasionally and it was those cameras that influenced me to get the FZ1000s.

I'm sure the f1.2 lens on the G4 will give you far more low light options probably about the time I would consider using extra light for the FZ1000. I have found that my receptions so far haven't given me any low light problems, but the next one could just turn out to be candlelight!

A G4 with lenses is a way to go for a number of users on the forum, but not suitable for me, partly for cost, but also because working solo most of the time I want the speed and convenience that the FZ1000 gives me, rather than different lenses, which some prefer of course. One man's meat etc.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:08 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

It's just common sense that a GH4 with it's bigger sensor and fast F1.2 lens will be a low light killer ...At our receptions I can mange everything except when they really dim the lights for the first dance to crazy levels and then, of course the video light is a necessity!

A GH4 and 85mm F1.2 is also likely to cost a whole heap more. We seldom have candle light receptions like Noa often has and if we did I too would opt for a GH4 and a very fast lens.

At 85mm at F1.2 don't you struggle with DOF? The GH4 has a crop factor of 2X right?? so that makes the lens a 35mm equivalent of 170mm ....you must have to be an awfully long way from the people to shoot with that?? On the FZ I seldom move off 25mm and at F2.8 I do have a reasonably big DOF to work with so it's easy! I tried a 50mm Sony F1.8 on my camera once during the dancing and everything was just too close to work with ...at that was a 35mm equivalent of 75mm only and I really struggled!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:21 AM   #64
Trustee

Using fast primes for low light isn't just about capturing a visible image, it's about capturing one with as minimum noise as possible. I've just spent the day going around castles with my GH4 and 2.8 zoom lens. The image acquired was quite visible and clear but nothing at all like the quality I can get with a fast prime. Colour and detail look considerably better when ISO is kept lower.

As Chris is right to point out, it comes at the cost of a narrow DOF and tough focusing, and as Roger says, carrying a lot of lenses. However there is a clear difference in the kind of videos we all offer. For me, I'm trying for something more artistic or cinematic, whichever term best fits. Using sliders, jibs and gimbal along with primes to capture the day with an eye for a good looking image. Others favour a more documentary approach and the criteria of gear will differ accordingly.

Ultimately we choose for our needs and budget. Suggesting the FZ1000 isn't suitable for my needs is not a suggestion it isn't suitable for Wedding filming. That rather falls down to your style and methods of filming.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 03:05 PM   #65
Major Player

I don't have a FZ1000 and don't plan on buying one, but I did find this footage which I thought looked pretty impressive for a camera with its price tag:

I could see the 120fps being very useful as long as there's lots of light. Even if you didn't use it as an A or B camera, you could still get some shots in 120fps that would be pretty spectacular.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:22 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Hi Colin,

How did you get on with your 'out of retirement' wedding?

Roger
Excellent Roger. It was in my dark old local church, just 2 minutes down the road. I got a fair few shots at the tele end and was delighted with them. Will post a clip when I have edited. I pushed the iso up to 5000, the results were very impressive
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:05 PM   #67
Inner Circle

I look forward to seeing the clip Colin.

I dug out my Glide Gear stabiliser today after about 18 months of non use. It just didn't seem to do the job with my other cameras. The FZ1000 though seems to balance perfectly and initial testing looked promising. The cameras stabilisation seems to work well with the Glide Gear, damping out movement that the hand held one doesn't fully remove. I'll try it at the next wedding and see if I can get some good steadycam type shots and any remaining jitter should be easily correctable with Mercalli in my NLE. I never really expected much from the mechanical stabiliser, just bought it as a cheap experiment, but looks like it may have come back into play. One advantage with it is that I can clamp it directly to my double tripod plate with camera attached, then just unclamp it for instant flying shots (If it works well enough).

Roger
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:22 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

Is that a hand held model of the Glide Gear you are using? I'm running a Weildy system with vest and dual arm and it now works with the FZ very well but I had to add a bunch of weight onto the top stage so the dual arm actually worked. I like the fact that a mechanical arm system has natural dampening so you get rather nice footage. However my stedicam use is restricted to an outdoor shoot with just the bride and groom wandering around the venue gardens doing roundie rounds etc etc.

I find my little U shaped rig and the foam grips either side keep the footage pretty stable so 90% of B-Cam stuff is done handheld rather than using a stabilise.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 10:08 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

Yes the stabiliser is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glide-Gear-S...rds=glide+gear

The 3000 can take a bit more weight than the 500 & 1000 and it was bought as a first stabiliser to see if I could get used to it. It just wasn't great with my other cameras but seems to suit the FZ1000 well. I replaced the plastic gimbal with a chrome plated one for less than 5 off the internet, which made it much smoother. I'll be trying it in anger at next week's wedding where Claire will also be with me, so a bit more time for experimenting.

Roger
Old September 22nd, 2015, 10:19 AM   #70
Inner Circle

With this type of stabilizer you get what you pay for and I would not expect any fluid motion possible with it at all and forget about having decent pan and tilt controll, if you don't have experience flying a steadicam then a 3 axis gimbal which starts just below 500 dollar will give you much superior results.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:26 AM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
With this type of stabilizer you get what you pay for and I would not expect any fluid motion possible with it at all and forget about having decent pan and tilt controll, if you don't have experience flying a steadicam then a 3 axis gimbal which starts just below 500 dollar will give you much superior results.
A Beholder MS1 in the UK would set me back about 400 and at the moment is not something that I could justify the cost of for possible occasional use. The stabiliser I already have is very basic, but won't cost me a penny extra to play with, so I will try it and see what it does. Possibly nothing, but it will be interesting to see.

Thanks for the input,

Roger
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM   #72
Trustee

I've owned a glidecam for several years but never gave it the time of day. I just never could get it balanced and frankly didn't miss the kind of shots it could give. It's only with the acquisition of the gimbal that I've begun to experiment with such shots and seen their value.

However using any stabiliser requires a great deal of practise in how you move and operate it. I've been using it on every Wedding in the last month but still feel I have so much to learn. Not that I'm not getting great shots, but it feels more random and that the gimbal is doing the hard work and not me. Perhaps that's the point of it, but I'd rather I was making some contribution to smooth looking shots.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:12 PM   #73
Inner Circle

I keep getting tempted to try to mod a smartphone active gimbal to take an RX100. Seems like it might be a good cheap "flying" option, and not too expensive. Eventually these 3 axis active systems will probably drop in price while becoming reliably stable, but so far I'm not sure about them! Somehow they seem like prototypes rushed into production...

I've tried various "passive" stabilizers, with mixed results, and a fair amount of time trying to make them reliable enough for "live" use... if I had time to set and repeat missed shots, maybe, but more stress than I prefer.

In the end, I've found I can get passable results by using my footed monopod with the right grip and "walk", not great, but I'm already on that "rig".

For handheld, I'm with Chris's "U shape" configuration (mini Fig Rig!), but using just a folding flash bracket on the left side, regular grip on the right for camera control - with a two hand grip, most of the objectionable wiggles (roll/pitch/yaw axis) are kept under control, and if you learn "the walk" (no bouncing!), and use your arms correctly, you can simulate a gimbal/steadi rig under many conditions. It's lightweight (less fatigue), cheap, effective, and better than just handheld. In my case, the Stratos folding bracket is so small, I can always stick one in even a tiny camera bag and have it when needed, I have a bunch of them I picked up cheap on ebay, so I usually have one stuck somewhere handy!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:28 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
A Beholder MS1 in the UK would set me back about 400 and at the moment is not something that I could justify the cost of for possible occasional use. The stabiliser I already have is very basic, but won't cost me a penny extra to play with, so I will try it and see what it does. Possibly nothing, but it will be interesting to see.
It depends what you plan on achieving with it, the fz1000 would in terms of weight be perfect for such a beholder, but there are more and more coming out in a pricerange between 500 to 1000 dollar. The footage I saw from Glide Gear users on youtube looked awefull but that is coming from someone who takes steadicam work serious :) The motion was all over the place and they each time ridiculed the Merlin, which has a similar design, for being so expensive. Only once they see how that merlin is build, the way you can finetune, and the quality of the used materials, in particular the gimbal, and what result it can have on the motion you are trying to achieve, only then they will understand why it's more expensive.

That's not to say you can't get anything decent out of the Glide Gear, with correct balancing you might get some usable shots out of it but it probably would be a constant frustration just to nail that one smooth move.

If you want to lift your productions to a higher level and want to include steadicam shots you are better off investing a little, practice a lot and get it right the first time.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I

In the end, I've found I can get passable results by using my footed monopod with the right grip and "walk", not great, but I'm already on that "rig".
I find exactly the same with my lightweight tripod, where I am so used to working with it that I can set the legs as a counterweight and get quite stable walking footage in conjunction with the excellent camera stabilization. That makes me think very carefully before investing in a comparatively expensive 3 axis gimbal that might just end up sitting in a cupboard.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series