LUMIX FZ1000 user update - Page 6 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: LUMIX FZ1000 user update

A "steadicam solo" might be interesting as it combines a monopod and steadicam in one but not cheap either.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #77
Inner Circle

Like a lot of onboard camera mics, the FZ1000 pics up a lot of mechanical noise from the camera, particularly when moving around with it. The image stabilization seeming to make a constant background chattering sound at quiet moments.

To get round this, I have many different mics for different occasions, ranging from 3 different Sony stereo mics, a couple of AT21s, Sure SM56 & SM58, a Rode studio vocal mic, radio mics, a handful of lavs and several cheap electret mics. The cheap electrets are hissy and none of the mics will mount on the camera without making it difficult or impossible to use the viewfinder because of the overhang. So I wanted something to put on the camera while I am walking around getting general shots. Sound quality needed to be useable without system noise, preferably stereo, but not necessarily to the quality needed for formal sound.

Having been very pleased with my Boya radio system, I came across a Boya electret mic for DSLR type cameras which seemed to have very good reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RF3EIS...986871_TE_item
As it was a pretty silly price, I thought it worth a punt as I could always use it for something else of eBay it not much good. It arrived this morning, so I have been trying it out around the house and garden in comparison with the onboard mics.

It arrived nicely packaged and included an attached coiled connecting lead of sensible length with stereo 3.5mm plug, foam windshield (that all camera mics seem to come with and are useless), and a rather useful looking dead cat windshield, plus a soft mic bag. The mic takes one AAA battery and has a switch and power on light. The build is plasticky as you would expect with a normal hot shoe connection and locking ring. The body of the mic is permanently connected to the mount via four flexible rubber legs for shock absorbing.

First tests showed that the mic didn't impede on using the viewfinder, which was one of the main reasons for getting it. It wobbled about a bit on the rubber legs, but they were unexpectedly good at cutting handling and camera noise. The mic was quiet in operation and frequency range seems initially wide, picking up top end well but also a nice bass end on voice. The foam windshield behaved as expected i.e. poorly, but the dead cat was extremely efficient at killing all wind noise. I can put up with the very pale and obvious couloured fluff if it going to be that efficient.

Yet to be tried at a wedding in anger, but first thoughts are that it is going to do exactly what I bought it to do. That is walking around handheld shots, cutting out wind and handling noise and not obstructing the viewfinder or screen, while giving a reasonable sound quality.

It won't satisfy the officianados, it's cheap and cheerful, but it performs above it's price level, doesn't matter if it gets lost or broken and if it is as reliable as the Boya radio system I will be well satisfied.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
LUMIX FZ1000 user update-image.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; September 23rd, 2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Add link
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:52 AM   #78
Inner Circle

I should add that the Boya mic comes with a stereo 3.5 mm plug and lead, but is a mono unidirectional mic. Suits my needs for general sound pickup but not if you want stereo sound for general shooting.

Roger
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:19 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I came across a Boya electret mic for DSLR type cameras which seemed to have very good reviews.
Thanks Roger, I'm after a mic for my camera too and was thinking of the videomic pro r

The Boya as you say, might be worth a try.

Thank you.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:50 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Thanks Roger, I'm after a mic for my camera too and was thinking of the videomic pro r

The Boya as you say, might be worth a try.

Thank you.
The Rode is a very nice mic and will use far better components and construction than the Boya, but I didn't want to spen that much on a mic for occasional use at the moment, just wanted to improve on what the onboard mic does. The Boya looks like a cheap copy of the Rode, but I'll see what I get from it in a wedding environment.

Roger
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:36 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
...but I'll see what I get from it in a wedding environment.

Roger
Thanks Roger, time will tell :)
Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:26 PM   #82
Inner Circle

I find this a particularly good mic - good sound and well made

Nikon me1 - been using it with my A7s for about 6 months now
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 02:29 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post

Thanks Peter, must have a look at it on youtube.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 02:33 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post

Looks like another good option Pete, thing is I'm not even sure that I need that sort of mic at the moment which is why I bought the Boya first to see how I get on with it. If I use it a lot and it makes a noticeable difference I may well upgrade to a better mic.

Roger
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:58 PM   #85
Inner Circle

What i like about the nikon is that you can mount it on your hot shoe and still use the viewfinder - unlike the rode that protudes from the back
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:55 PM   #86
Inner Circle

I agree Pete, that's exactly why I thought I would try the Boya mic.

Roger
Old September 24th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #87
Inner Circle

I tried to find an old style Videomic but they are hard to find, The new ones all have a Rycote mount that replaces the rubber suspension and the rings used to break until I invested in some industrial "O" rings (still have a bag full) There is only one downfall to these mics which includes the Boya, Rode Videomic and I also have a Takstar which work well. These mics all use batteries so you have to remember to turn the mic on!! I usually turn it on when I arrive at the venue and leave it on all day only turning it off when I pack up. On Saturday however I packed up after the first dance and the bride begged me to just film a few minutes of bouquet toss ...No problem AND no audio either cos I had turned the mic off, hadn't I

I even have a label on the mic saying "Is the mic on" but that didn't help either and I now have to try to find music and ambience to fill in the blanks .... Is there anything else one can do to ensure that you have indeed turned the mic on???? I have the label and a bright green LED but I still left it off!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #88
Inner Circle

I do have the audio levels continuously showing on the screen which is a reminder, trouble is you get so used to seeing things on the screen it's easy to ignore them.

I have been using an excellent old Sony dynamic mic mounted on the camera, but I can't use the viewfinder when it is on.

Roger
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #89
Inner Circle

That would be no good to me Roger as I use the viewfinder 90% of the time, only using the rear LCD screen for low or high shots - I have a party to film on Saturday and i'll be using my rode videomic but (I don't know why they are designed like this to go on a shoe mount but means you cannot use the VF!!) I'll have to mount it on the side of my minirig - It just fits without being seen at 24mm - but only just!
Old September 24th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #90
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
...No problem AND no audio either cos I had turned the mic off, hadn't I
Sorry to hear that Chris, that can happen so easy.
As you said no matter what you have there to warn you, its still possible to over look it, sound bars or not.

I would like a mic that doesn't need a battery.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ Series