LUMIX FZ1000 user update - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old September 20th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: LUMIX FZ1000 user update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Nice to have you back Roger

Had two weddings this weekend and the cameras worked very well ..no issues at all!!
How are you getting on with the stills compared to the Nikons?

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #47
Major Player

Welcome back Roger.
I have found this to be a very informative thread. Never be afraid to give opinion or advice no matter what others might say. There will always be people who can take something useful from these opinions even if they don't post. It also true that people can end up arguing without really meaning to in forums on the internet.
Whilst the camera is not for me, it must be very tempting to many people due to the price and performance
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:49 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
Welcome back Roger.
I have found this to be a very informative thread. Never be afraid to give opinion or advice no matter what others might say. There will always be people who can take something useful from these opinions even if they don't post. It also true that people can end up arguing without really meaning to in forums on the internet.
Whilst the camera is not for me, it must be very tempting to many people due to the price and performance
Thanks Andrew,
Both the FZ1000 and RX10 are going to appeal to very similar users, with the Panny having the greater telephoto range and the Sony having the constant 2.8 aperture across the smaller zoom range. I liked the constant 2.8 on my FZ200 cams, but the 2/3 sensor made it lose a lot in low light. Those that prefer the look of one make over another, or have other cams of the same make will probably choose accordingly.

Roger
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

Slightly off topic but I staying with the Nikons for indoor stuff and using both the Nikon and FZ for outdoor shoots ... Still need to find a TTL flash for the Pannys
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
. One would expect an APSC camera like the EA-50 to be technically better in low light than a 1" sensor so I guess the signal processing is a whole lot better??
Your comment recalls my experience with the GH3 when I first used it in conjunction with the Canon 60d I already owned. I expected to continue using the 60d for indoors whilst using the GH3 for run n gun as I had the GH2. I was quite surprised to see the GH3 outperform the 60d in low-light despite the smaller sensor and the Canon was sold on soon after.

If I was jumping from the 60d to the FZ1000, I'd expect I'd be mightily impressed by low light performance and image quality in general. Coming from the inbetween upgrades of the GH3 and 4, obviously this alters my perspective. Not sure how old your ea50s are, but image quality has come a long way in the last few years.

Ultimately how users respond to the FZ1000's low light will depend on what they're currently using now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Having decided to withdraw from DV info 3 days ago, I have been persuaded to do a U-turn by several very kind, persuasive and supportive emails from members.
It's a roller coaster this thread. :)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel
Contrary to suggestions, I did not withdraw because of others disagreeing with my views or being over sensitive, but because I felt that a number of comments on this and previous fz1000 threads were becoming very personal and sometimes mocking.
Totally agree Roger. Welcome back
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Bottom line is that for the price, there are some pretty impressive cameras... pluses and minuses, of course...

It took a long time for Chris H to get the Sony areas rearranged, so as one "orphaned category" to another, you're more than welcome to discuss the FZ1000 over under the threads on the Sony RX10... as far as I'm thinking, they are very similar cameras in "focus" and concept - so sort of fit together better than the ILC class cameras. Us outcasts gotta stick together!

FWIW, I've found that dropping shutter speed to 30 can bring up low light in a pinch, not sure how the FZ operates, but since 4K is 30p anyway, it seems to be workable. Maybe not ideal. but one way to squeeze a little more out of the darkness.

There are some "tricks" that are universal, and others that are brand specific, in the end the only thing that counts is that you got the shot, and didn't tear your hair out getting it... regardless of the label on the front or how much you spent!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

I know my Sony EA-50's defaulted to 1/25th in 25P mode (in your case it would be 1/30th and 30P) so I'm assuming the bride cameras (both Sony and Panasonic) would do that indoors? I don't seem to have any motion blur even with the dancing but then again it's a wedding so they just don't go wild! 25P seems to work pretty well both indoors and out plus I'm used to shooting in 25P as my Sony's used to give me a bit of posterization if any area was over-exposed and you were shooting 50P so I normally just use 50P for my stedicam shoot. The FZ has a beautiful 100fps slomo mode but when you start recording it locks the exposure so I cannot do my "roundie rounds" with the stedicam as I usually do a full 360 circle around the couple and try to get a sunburst on the way .... fixed exposure just blows out totally as I get to the bright section and stopping and restarting the camera spoils the flow totally. That's a big bummer as I was hoping to use the slomo feature for bridal shoots on stedicam!!
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:03 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Bottom line is that for the price, there are some pretty impressive cameras... pluses and minuses, of course...

It took a long time for Chris H to get the Sony areas rearranged, so as one "orphaned category" to another, you're more than welcome to discuss the FZ1000 over under the threads on the Sony RX10... as far as I'm thinking, they are very similar cameras in "focus" and concept - so sort of fit together better than the ILC class cameras. Us outcasts gotta stick together!

FWIW, I've found that dropping shutter speed to 30 can bring up low light in a pinch, not sure how the FZ operates, but since 4K is 30p anyway, it seems to be workable. Maybe not ideal. but one way to squeeze a little more out of the darkness.

There are some "tricks" that are universal, and others that are brand specific, in the end the only thing that counts is that you got the shot, and didn't tear your hair out getting it... regardless of the label on the front or how much you spent!
Hi Dave,

That could be a good intermediate compromise until a new category is available :-)

I've been experimenting with 25fps and 50fps (pal land) to see what differences I can find, no hard and fast conclusions yet though. I probably need to set up a fixed shot and switch from one to the other to really see the difference.

Roger
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:08 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Totally agree Roger. Welcome back
Hi Colin,

How did you get on with your 'out of retirement' wedding?

Roger
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:43 AM   #56
Trustee

Whoah boys! - I don't check in for a while and there's been a fair bit of verbal biffo - let's relax.

I had an FZ200 as a backup cam and found it great, I got the FZ1000 and now have 2. I always have a 2nd shooter and we each have one hangng off the belt.

I've used them for bride & groom prep and they are great, I find the GH4 with FD lenses gives me a an image I like more - but the ease of using the FZ1000 really makes it a hard decision.

During ceremonies we both have the GH4 and the FZ1000 as a backup cam - it's great to be able to leave the GH4 on a fixed closeup and grab the FZ1000 for a quick shot of the MOB tearing up.

Up till sundown I feel I could get away with using the FZ1000 as the only camera, no problem.

In dim receptions I have a problem, maybe it's my settings but given a choice between a GH4 with my FD 85mm F1.2 ans the FZ1000 it's no contest.

I'll try to do some direct comparisions and put them up.
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:28 AM   #57
Inner Circle

I still have a pair of FZ200s that I use for quick grabs occasionally and it was those cameras that influenced me to get the FZ1000s.

I'm sure the f1.2 lens on the G4 will give you far more low light options probably about the time I would consider using extra light for the FZ1000. I have found that my receptions so far haven't given me any low light problems, but the next one could just turn out to be candlelight!

A G4 with lenses is a way to go for a number of users on the forum, but not suitable for me, partly for cost, but also because working solo most of the time I want the speed and convenience that the FZ1000 gives me, rather than different lenses, which some prefer of course. One man's meat etc.

Roger
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:08 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

It's just common sense that a GH4 with it's bigger sensor and fast F1.2 lens will be a low light killer ...At our receptions I can mange everything except when they really dim the lights for the first dance to crazy levels and then, of course the video light is a necessity!

A GH4 and 85mm F1.2 is also likely to cost a whole heap more. We seldom have candle light receptions like Noa often has and if we did I too would opt for a GH4 and a very fast lens.

At 85mm at F1.2 don't you struggle with DOF? The GH4 has a crop factor of 2X right?? so that makes the lens a 35mm equivalent of 170mm ....you must have to be an awfully long way from the people to shoot with that?? On the FZ I seldom move off 25mm and at F2.8 I do have a reasonably big DOF to work with so it's easy! I tried a 50mm Sony F1.8 on my camera once during the dancing and everything was just too close to work with ...at that was a 35mm equivalent of 75mm only and I really struggled!!
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:21 AM   #59
Trustee

Using fast primes for low light isn't just about capturing a visible image, it's about capturing one with as minimum noise as possible. I've just spent the day going around castles with my GH4 and 2.8 zoom lens. The image acquired was quite visible and clear but nothing at all like the quality I can get with a fast prime. Colour and detail look considerably better when ISO is kept lower.

As Chris is right to point out, it comes at the cost of a narrow DOF and tough focusing, and as Roger says, carrying a lot of lenses. However there is a clear difference in the kind of videos we all offer. For me, I'm trying for something more artistic or cinematic, whichever term best fits. Using sliders, jibs and gimbal along with primes to capture the day with an eye for a good looking image. Others favour a more documentary approach and the criteria of gear will differ accordingly.

Ultimately we choose for our needs and budget. Suggesting the FZ1000 isn't suitable for my needs is not a suggestion it isn't suitable for Wedding filming. That rather falls down to your style and methods of filming.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:05 PM   #60
Major Player

I don't have a FZ1000 and don't plan on buying one, but I did find this footage which I thought looked pretty impressive for a camera with its price tag:

I could see the 120fps being very useful as long as there's lots of light. Even if you didn't use it as an A or B camera, you could still get some shots in 120fps that would be pretty spectacular.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series