Keeping the dust bunnies out! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old October 1st, 2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Keeping the dust bunnies out!

I shot a wedding on Friday and it was under a tree with continuously falling, not leaves, but tiny bits of stuff in the air ..quite visible on the footage and even saw it on the guys jackets. My main cam seems fine but I did worry about these particles getting sucked in when zooming so I zoomed out just once for framing .. Trouble is when you turn the camera off, the lens closes so that could easily suck in debris.

I did however extend it to full zoom afterwards and gave the lens and body a blast of clean canned air so no issue.

I was wondering if shooting outdoors whether it would be wise in situations like this to have some canned air right on hand so if you zoom you can give it a quick blast before turning off so no debris is sucked into the lens???

Anyone been in less than ideal situations???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Keeping the dust bunnies out!

Wouldn't compressed air blow debris in?

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

My nex-ea50 stocklens had dust inside within the first year of use, I think there is not much you can do about that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I haven't had an issues as yet I must admit but with a non weatherproof camera I figure that in really dusty conditions it might happen ..However on average, weddings are pretty darn clean affairs!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I've had problems with high humidity. Bringing my XF305 from an ice-cold air-conditioned space, out into the hot, humid sunshine on a tropical beach caused the lens to be completely fogged up. Looking into the lens, it was like it was stuffed with cotton balls. Took 40 minutes to clear up, leaving the camera on to heat the internals faster. There's a spot on an internal lens that shows up when filming the sky.

My HDV cameras are even more susceptible to humidity, despite the O-ring around the cassette door. Same tropical beach, the camera wouldn't function due to the moisture detection circuit shutting it down. Took about an hour to get it to work.

I've used canned air to clean the sensor on my dSLR a couple times and it saved me from having to get it done by a pro.

Last night I was up around Mt Fuji shooting a time lapse and had my FS7 along just in case I ended up staying until daybreak and on my way down the mountain about 1am, a deer was standing in the middle of the road and I jammed on the brakes. FS7 tumbled forward from the back seat and I reached back and caught it from going all the way to the floor, but that viewfinder popped off. It went back on okay and no other damage. It was wrapped in a jacket, but could have been much worse since the lens was mounted.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series