Strange SD Card Issue?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old October 10th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Strange SD Card Issue??

Hi Guys

I set my A-Cam up last night for the speeches around 8pm having previously used it earlier for the ceremony with a 64GB card in the slot. I turned on the camera and the screen told me to "Re-Insert the SD Card" ..I tried this several times but it still came up with the same message! .. I quickly changed cards and all was then OK ... Just for interest I took the current card out my B-Cam and put in the "so called" problem card and it worked fine?

On transfer all the footage was perfect once I got home ... Anyone had this message at all???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Strange SD Card Issue??

I had that with my GH3. Certain times it would lose connection with the SD card. Quite random and you could go for months without it happening. Certain movement with the camera seemed to cause the issue. For me taking the card out and reinserting seemed to resolve it. I'd check out the SD card connection in the camera to see if there's an issue there, or else it could be a dodgy card.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

The weird thing is I immediately put the card into the 2nd camera and no problem at all. Movement might be the key here as I shoot with Cam1 at the Church and it then was in the foam tray in the car from 4pm thru to 8pm before it was used again! Maybe it's a good idea to take cards out during transportation ? The cameras are in an aluminium frame with foam lining so they shouldn't bounce around too much but better safe than sorry.

Today I put the same card back in the same camera and it's perfect with no issues!! It was in a marquee last night and hot and humid too so that might have been a reason.
Old October 11th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Certain movement of the camera caused the problem with the GH3 for me. I first encountered it when taking the camera on Holiday and I was holding it in my hands between videoing as I was walking. The motion seemed to trigger the problem. However never consistently, more rarely. Its like the movement caused the sd card to shift slightly causing the camera to not recognise it. I never had this with the GH4 and its been put through much worse. However it's likely just my GH3 that's at fault than all of them, unless other owners experience the same issue. Never seen it brought up.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Trustee

Chris,

My EA50s started doing the exact same thing last week. I had never seen it before that. Reinserting it a few times made it go away. I think its the cards. Six of my cards are identical Lexar 32 gig cards. I am going to number them to see if it is the same cards doing it.

Steve
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

I really cannot recall if my EA-50's did it but it sure is strange! The trouble is that in the middle of a shoot you don't have time to test and compare when they are waiting for you. I removed and re-inserted the card once and the error came back so I did it a second time and it still said "reinsert card" so I never tried a third time but inserting into the 2nd cam (both are identical) it worked perfectly! By then the main camera had another SD card in it and worked fine.

Chris
Old October 12th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Yep I get it. Same thing here. Now I am going to keep my SD card case in my pocket all the time so I can reach for a different brand or card in a hurry. There is no time to dink around. I think it is the cards but I am going to start testing now to see what is going on. I always keep electrical contact cleaner in my office but I am out of it right now. I am going to start there in case the contacts have oxidized a little bit even though you cant see anything. I think that is it? Electrical contacts get funky some times.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series