Ninja 2 with FZ1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ninja 2 with FZ1000

Has anyone setup a Ninja 2 with the FZ1000 I can get it to record only selecting the record button on the ninja 2 (cant get it to work from the record button on the camera)
The main question is i don't mind it recording to the ninja 2 bypassing the record button on the camera just want to know if it is recording 422 doing it this way
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Ninja 2 with FZ1000

Whether you press REC on the Ninja touch screen or start recording via HDMI trigger will have no bearing on the quality or format of the recording. HDMI trigger is only supported by certain cameras, most do not work. And of course that option must be selected in Ninja 2 menu as well.

Thanks
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Mark

Did you have any success using the Ninja 2? I want to use a Ninja and feed it via the bypass to a Broadcast Pro encoder to stream events as the FZ1000 cannot output HDMI and record to the card at the same time. When you use the FZ with the Ninja do you simply leave it in standby mode and then focus/frame and when you are happy start recording via the Ninja? It would be nice to have the FZ1000 LCD available all the time and if you push the shutter button the screen goes black but I'm pretty sure it's still sending out a signal on the cable in standby as well. Is that correct???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I ended up just recording to the Ninja 2 direct (not recording to camera) the only problem was the battery lasts about one hour so i just purchased Panasonic AC Adapter DMW-AC8 for G and FZ-series adn Panasonic DC Coupler DMW-DCC8GU9 for GH2 / G5 / FZ200. I am waiting for a battery pack I ordered online to suit, it is for Cree Bicycle Headlamp, Replacement 9000mAh 8.4v 6 x 18650 Battery Pack
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark

So when you connect the HDMI cable to the Ninja, can you leave the camera in standby mode (ie: just switch it on) and then use the Ninja to record ...does it blank the LCD or do you have that to be able to frame and focus.
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Chris, pretty sure the screen remains active.
Will check with my ninja star hooked up tonight. Get back to u with results.
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Thanks Mark

So when you connect the HDMI cable to the Ninja, can you leave the camera in standby mode (ie: just switch it on) and then use the Ninja to record ...does it blank the LCD or do you have that to be able to frame and focus.
The camera does stay on does not go blank, still see all through camera while recording to ninja 2.
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yep, what Mark said! Just turn off sleep mode, in Economy setting and you have full control of all menu settings whilst it's recording to ninja.
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:43 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Very much appreciated and the extended battery pack is a great idea if you had to record long non-stop events too!! Last question? Do you guys turn the OSD items off ...Mark was talking about OSD on his Sony being an issue and being recorded onto the Ninja2 ... Easy enough to do that on the FZ1000... !

Did you discover how to turn off all the icons on the Sony Mark, Just for interest???

Thanks again for your help .. I need the Ninja as I want to record what I'm filming but also send HDMI out to a Livestream Broadcasr Pro encoder and the FZ1000 cannot record and send out an HDMI signal at the same time and I don't really want to spring for a GH4 and lenses at this time.
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I turned the display off on the fz1000 when recording to Ninja 2 and I fixed the problem on my Sony nx3 thanks to Rolf on the Sony fx3 forum on Facebook all I had to do was to change the menu from display all to display lcd only now the display information can be on the lcd but it is not recorded to the Ninja 2
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Awesome guys! The input is again greatly appreciated!! Yep I also need to look into the extended battery thing. I do like to stay portable so a decent Li-Ion battery pack would be great. The Ninja has a good recording time so why not the camera too??
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I'm assuming that the power unit and coupler for the GH2 is the same as the FZ200 and FZ1000? The batteries are the same as they only changed the battery pack when the GH3 came out ...I found an AC adapter and coupler that looks like it will be OK on eBay but specs say GH2 nothing about FZ200 or 1000 ..Are there any local people who sell them without paying a fortune for the Lumix branded one?? In Oz the dealers want $29 for the coupler and $99 for the charger!! On eBay you can get the whole lot for a GH2 for under $20!!
Old June 13th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I bought a used Ninja 2 last week in what the buyer said was "as new" condition" ...apart from a charger that only outputs 4.9 volts and two generic batteries plus no AC adapter the whole bits and pieces were wrapped in newspaper so the box and manual has obviously long gone and it unit is very well used ..I cannot get it to see my HDMI input on my FZ1000 ...My TV sees it no problem and my Livestream encoder works well with the camera ...I have tried turning off the Viera Link and it makes no difference at all. I guess I have to assume now that the unit is faulty??? Did anyone else have to do anything drastic to the FZ1000 settings to get it to work with the Ninja 2???

I think this needs to have a "Return Item" transaction on eBay initiated???
Old June 13th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Chris, make sure it's in AVCHD rec. mode, not MP4.
See how that goes!!!!????
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Thanks Jack

What would be the difference? I'm sending HDMI directly from the sensor? MP4 works on my TV and on my Livestream Encoder ... Is Atmos that fussy???

I'm going to send it back anyway .. it was supposed to be in "as new" condition and I paid $423.00 for it which is close to new price. The charger is buggered, the unit is scuffed and marked ..it has two generic eBay batteries .. the so called "new' unit has no box, no manual and missing AC adapter too ...It was packed in a cardboard box and each bit was wrapped in newspaper ... All sounds a bit suss for a new condition item don't you think???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series