For the non-believers -FZ2500/2000 is out!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old November 16th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: For the non-believers -FZ2500/2000 is out!!

Hi Chris,

As there are a number of different focus settings available on the FZ1000 and presumably the FZ2000, with widely varying results, what do you have your's set at?

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Hey Roger

For my run 'n gun handheld stuff at weddings I use continuous focus and the 49 point system and it never misses a beat. On my static tripod mounted camera I turn off continuous and use the customisable focus square as the bride and groom never move that much ...also the same on speeches at weddings. I have my focus square set so I can zap just the person making the speech and it's always in focus.

Do you have an issue??? I have never seen any of my shots out of focus
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hey Roger

For my run 'n gun handheld stuff at weddings I use continuous focus and the 49 point system and it never misses a beat. On my static tripod mounted camera I turn off continuous and use the customisable focus square as the bride and groom never move that much ...also the same on speeches at weddings. I have my focus square set so I can zap just the person making the speech and it's always in focus.

Do you have an issue??? I have never seen any of my shots out of focus
I was curious Chris as my settings are the same as yours and I also don't have an issue. I was wondering why others seem to, it must be down to the settings they are using is all I can think!

Roger
Old November 16th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #34
Trustee

If shooting at 4K, I imagine the focus can be more unreliable. I'm only comparing it to the GH4, G80 and GX80 - so perhaps the 1" sensor causes this to be less prominent. In the cameras I own, HD is fine - not superb but acceptable for most uses. With 4K it does hunt a bit in some cases and is a lot slower than in HD to nail focus.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #35
Major Player

For those, like me, interested in the FZ2000/2500 but having a job getting fact as opposed to opinion from online "reviews" like those dated September 19th. downloading the Panasonic Instruction Manual can be helpful.

I did and found out that "Variable Frame Rate" is available seemingly identical to that via the GH4 and thus a big improvement on the FZ1000.

(Manual a bit of a jumble but that's Panasonic)

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I haven't found one other camera that I'm more excited about for my planned use, as mentioned in another thread. However, I do have a few concerns, which may or may not be well founded. (I wasn't able to find the User Manual online.)

Weather Sealing - One of my favorite locations to shoot wildlife is on a small island. I never shoot with my canon 7Dii in sea spray and I always try to shoot with the wind at my back, but there's no escaping the saltwater air. Based on what I hear, the FZ2500 won't be weather sealed. Has anyone's FZ1000 died due to saltwater intrusion.

Cropping During 4K - I believe that a Panasonic Rep mentioned in one of the reviews that there would be a 1.7 crop factor when recording in 4K. I'm somewhat concerned about that because it means that I won't be able to get those nice wide shots in 4K. Would an external recorder allow me to get those wide shots in 4K.

Exposure - when recording I want to try to meet rec 709 (or some other standard which I really know very little about). From what I read, the best way to do that is with a waveform monitor which will help me prevent clipping the whites and crushing the blacks. I'm assuming that the FZ2500 won't have an internal waveform monitor. Maybe it would be worth buying one if it allows me to view waveforms and shoot wide in 4K. Don't really know where I'm going here. Just thinking out loud.

Upgrading - I like to use expensive equipment for a long time. I'm still using a 2008 macbook. I hate the idea that the FZ2500 will probably be overshadowed by a newer model in a few years and that its value will be that of my 60D. Can I expect the price of a new FZ2500 to drop considerably in 6 or 8 months after release.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The fz2500 focal length is 36 - 720mm in 35mm equiv. when you shoot 4K which it is decent wide but could be limiting depending on what your expectations are, using a external recorder won't make your shots wider.
About exposure, you should have zebra's and (not sure about this one but would be surprised if it was not included) a histogram in camera and if you use a external monitor, depending on which model you get you can even get more exposure and focusing aids.
About upgrading, If you are a early adopter you always pay a premium price, prices always drop after a few months though, they always do.
About weather sealing, if it's not weather sealed you should take precautions and maybe get a raincover that is designed for the fz2500
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Thanks Noa
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I was an early adopter of the FZ1000 and was getting great results with it while others were discussing what it might or might not be able to do. As regards price drops after a few months, the expectation is that prices will drop a few months after release, but so what! As an early adopter, my FZ1000s had been earning me a few thousands pounds before many others had even considered it. I bought the camera because of what it was capable of now, not as a financial investment. The FZ 1000s will continue to give me good service as they have proved to be solid and reliable and I'm sure the FZ2000/2500 will be the same.

Camera technology is continuously evolving and any camera bought now will soon be overtaken by new developments. The thing to remember is that newer cameras are getting better, but the camera you buy is still going to continue giving you the performance that you enjoyed when you bought it. Nothing is future proof, but the constant improvements are often insignificant when looking at your final output quality They tend to be improvements in convenience and speed of operation rather than overall picture quality. So although my FZ1000s allow me to film in 4K, my final output for the client is still in HD, the same as it has been for a number of years and will continue to be so for a few more years.

Roger
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Agreed Roger

Funny thing is that I was comtemplating whether to get another FZ1000 or wait for the 2500 and our supplier had none in stock!! The price here for the FZ1000 after 12 months also remained the same and as you say, even if you pay a little extra ..it is earning you money straight away so the difference is easily offset. Sadly our shipment here has been delayed to mid - December now so I have to work with two cameras only which makes it tough when we are shooting video and stills at a wedding ceremony. I wonder if one shot wildlife in 4K if the content would actually be requested in UHD? The 37mm limit for me is an issue at cramped weddings so I tend to stay with 1080 ... I see the FZ2500 gives us an extra 1mm at wide angle too which might be useful for weddings!!
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I guess I need to start a business and get some clients.
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Larry

People who are hobbists and people using cameras to make an income will always be different. I can easily pay for an FZ2500 with just one wedding booking so it's a no brainer to buy one. However IF I was just buying one to shoot private stuff at weekends with no financial return, sure I too would be counting my pennies and probably not even think about new cameras unless I came into some money and an urge to spend it. Things like weddings require an up front payment months before the event so more often than not, equipment purchases are in fact financed by the client!! I do appreciate your position where you have to stick to an income budget ..I can imagine what my wife would say if I spent a few thousand in one day on my "hobby" ... Is there a market for wildlife video??? maybe stock footage companies???
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Hi Chris and Larry,

Chris you bring up some interesting points particularly the fact that hobbyists and professionals have a different slant on things. Like you, one wedding will pay for a new camera for Claire and I, but for Larry it is coming out of a different income that probably has other life requirements taking first priority.

Larry, you commented that you needed to start a business and get some clients, then Chris asked if there is a market for wildlife videos. It is quite clear from your posts that wildlife is what you want to be filming, but there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't consider a broader based business as a videographer, which will enable you to start sourcing clients from more marketable genres. Filming celebratory, corporate, live productions etc could start earning you money sooner, which you can put into equipment and will subsidise your requirement to film wildlife, whilst also honing your video skills.

Roger
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Johnson View Post
I guess I need to start a business and get some clients.
You need to spend money to make money:) Although not the easiest to cover but by far the easiest to get paying clients is to shoot weddings, two fz1000's, a videolight, two cheap tripods and a couple of zoom h1's with a lav and your in business for a under 2K investment, do 2 to 3 weddings and you have earned back your initial investment.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Larry

People who are hobbists and people using cameras to make an income will always be different. ... Is there a market for wildlife video??? maybe stock footage companies???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Hi Chris and Larry,

Chris you bring up some interesting points particularly the fact that hobbyists and professionals have a different slant on things. Like you, one wedding will pay for a new camera for Claire and I, but for Larry it is coming out of a different income that probably has other life requirements taking first priority.

Larry, you commented that you needed to start a business and get some clients, then Chris asked if there is a market for wildlife videos. It is quite clear from your posts that wildlife is what you want to be filming, but there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't consider a broader based business as a videographer, which will enable you to start sourcing clients from more marketable genres. Filming celebratory, corporate, live productions etc could start earning you money sooner, which you can put into equipment and will subsidise your requirement to film wildlife, whilst also honing your video skills.

Roger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You need to spend money to make money:) Although not the easiest to cover but by far the easiest to get paying clients is to shoot weddings, two fz1000's, a videolight, two cheap tripods and a couple of zoom h1's with a lav and your in business for a under 2K investment, do 2 to 3 weddings and you have earned back your initial investment.
Guys, Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my comment about starting a business and getting clients was a bit in jest. While my goal is to sell some nature footage (and Pat mentioned in another thread that he's had a little success doing so), I can't image that I would enjoy any part of filming weddings or corporate events, Not to mention my lack of experience with filming, lighting, editing, etc. I don't even have editing software yet.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series