Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old December 20th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video?

Hi Ron

My mate Scott in your part of the world is using an FZ2500 with a varizoom unit and says it works perfectly for video. I suspect if that works then the Libec would work too.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #47
Inner Circle

That is great as I am thinking of using instead of my AX100 as the FZ2500 can also be controlled with WiFi app that is more comprehensive than the Sony PlayMemories control. Yes I am sure the libec controller I have can be set for Sony or Panasonic and will likely have the same protocol as the Varizoom. I am up for buying what ever works anyway as the main thing is to use like a normal camcorder on a tripod as well as a remote controlled with WiFi.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #48
Inner Circle

I also have FZ1000's and they seem to work well with the Smartphone App ...I haven't yet tried it but I think you can also zoom with the App via wifi so that is also a remote option ..I must admit I prefer physical controls as I find "swiping" with fingers sometimes doesn't work ...give me a rocker switch any day!!

Our FZ2500's have at long last arrived in Australia YAY!! Picking mine up after lunch today!!
Old December 21st, 2016, 04:50 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

The FZ1000 does indeed have zoom control from the app in addition to being able to adjust gain while filming and many other adjustable parameters. I often use my second FZ1000 as a B cam, and can monitor the video via the app and change zoom etc to add variation to the shot in addition to the cropping in post. I'm sure the 2000/25000 does exactly the same.

Using the remote gives you some of the flexibility of a second shooter on the B cam although you can't physically pan or tilt. You can of course still crop to pans and tilts from wide angle 4K footage in post, and still be able to control things like white balance, focus, zoom and exposure just by using the app live. For a solo shooter it's a godsend.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 06:29 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

Yes I know but I don't really need it for weddings as I have the main camera and audio XLR module on the tripod usually in the aisle and my B-Cam is handheld so I can get to zoom controls easily. The new 2500 has awesome push button slow zooms too (variable speed) which is perfect for weddings!!

Now, I can see the app working for me when I'm doing a multi camera live broadcast as the cams are all fixed. The software allows me to zoom any camera but being able to do an optical zoom is better as I'm normally at the computer and remote control would be a nice add-on. One assumes you could also use a tablet .. that would be neat next to a computer without having to disturb guests to adjust camera controls.

I'll have to check the app to see if it now includes activation of the slow zoom feature the FZ2500 has
Old December 21st, 2016, 02:54 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Chris, I use the Panny app on my iPad, my Android pad and an older Samsung android phone that is just used for camera monitoring and control.

Roger
Old December 21st, 2016, 08:19 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Thanks Roger

I'll put the app on my tablet and give it a whirl. Still wading thru the huge 2500 advanced manual ..this camera seems like a 747 flight deck compared to the 1000! So many new features that are awesome!!

I'm sure it will be on your wish list ....you will love the Fn button slow zooms for weddings they are awesome as is the touch screen focus and also touch screen exposure comp if you have a backlit situation!
Old December 22nd, 2016, 05:15 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Thanks Roger

I'll put the app on my tablet and give it a whirl. Still wading thru the huge 2500 advanced manual ..this camera seems like a 747 flight deck compared to the 1000! So many new features that are awesome!!

I'm sure it will be on your wish list ....you will love the Fn button slow zooms for weddings they are awesome as is the touch screen focus and also touch screen exposure comp if you have a backlit situation!
I'll probably postpone my purchase until the Spring when we have a lot of weddings booked. I've already overspent this year as the photographic side has taken off with almost all video weddings being with the joint photo package and a big increase in photo only weddings. We invested in the second FZ1000 for Claire early in the year, plus a Canon DSLR for her, 5 new Canon lenses, two additional GoPro clones, 2 additional voice recorders and various mics and ancilliaries and a second set of studio lights. We now have identical kit for double weddings. Of course I will also have to buy two FZ2000s rather than one :-(

Roger
Old December 22nd, 2016, 06:26 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Fair enough ..doesn't make sense to have one in the freezing cold when you really won't even use it!! Being in the Southern Hemisphere it's full blown Summer (42 degrees Celcius yesterday) but again a quiet period over the Festive Season. Our first wedding is actually New Years Day 2017 and the couple are flying out from Liverpool to get married on the beach in the sun!! I'm doing a live broadcast too on the FZ2500 so I'll send you the link later!

In the meantime hope you and Claire have a great Christmas!!
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:54 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Fair enough ..doesn't make sense to have one in the freezing cold when you really won't even use it!! Being in the Southern Hemisphere it's full blown Summer (42 degrees Celcius yesterday) but again a quiet period over the Festive Season. Our first wedding is actually New Years Day 2017 and the couple are flying out from Liverpool to get married on the beach in the sun!! I'm doing a live broadcast too on the FZ2500 so I'll send you the link later!

In the meantime hope you and Claire have a great Christmas!!
We might do the beach on New Year's Day with the dog, but it will probably be below zero! I'll look forward to seeing how your live broadcast goes with the new camera.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes, it will be our first Christmas Day off for 12 years as we are normally doing a music show, but gave it a miss this year.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year to you and yours :-)

Roger
Old December 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Thanks Roger

Don't envy the UK weather at this time of the year!! We are actually "cheating" on this live broadcast due to the time difference between the UK and here so we will record in the afternoon and then stream a delayed broadcast 4 hours later otherwise the poor folks in Liverpool will have to get up so early in the morning in the freezing cold to watch it. We are planning to do it direct from the camera at mid-day UK time so they can warm up a bit first and not have to roll out of bed at sunrise!!

The event page is at :
https://livestream.com/videohouse/events/6741648
Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:29 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Griffiths View Post
My daughter got me the only FZ2500 in Perth a few days ago ( sorry Chris)] It's really outstanding but for this thread it seems there is a 40 x zoom available but only for 8 mb files, if this is all you want then you can't ask for more at this price or any other! I've not tested it but they claim no deterioration in quality. so far I'm really impressed by this camera, exceeding my expectations but I need to spend more time finding out what it's capable of.
Congrats Mike! I almost pulled the trigger on one through Adorama, but didn't see an option to include V-log and the salesman didn't know either. Is V-log an available add on as was suggested in pre-reviews? Can it be added later? How does one purchase and download it?

Edit: ordered one.

Last edited by Larry Johnson; December 22nd, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #58
Regular Crew

I got my FZ2500 from Australia while on holiday in Phuket, Thailand. I played with it, not seriously, but I'm posting some clips for you to see.Simply because these cameras are difficult to get hold of and you might just want to take a look. It seems to have a 40x optical extension in FHD mode, just trired one shot. Please do not comment on the videography- I was on holiday!. I'm impressed with the camera, really easy to use. I tried the 4K JPEG setting it really works! Now, Like Chris, I have to master the 270 pages on the manual.
All 1080p, MOV 50fps 100mbps. Remember YT will degrade the image.
You can watch it here. THE MIC ON THE BOAT WAS THE STEREO VIDEO MIC AND IT WAS THE OPTICAL EXTENDER NOT THE DIGITAL

Old December 24th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

They are truly awesome cameras are they not? I haven't played with mine yet cos I was busy making a handheld rig for mine. They take a lot of beating!!

Well I have 3 x FZ's now .. 2 xFZ1000 and 1 x FZ2500 .... I must give the 100mbps mode a whirl too ..Have you tried it in Intra Mode (200mbps) ...Even at 20mbps it's a stunning image!!
Old December 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Does anyone know what the significance of the zoom display bar is when it turns blue at the end? The display indicates the focal length in 35mm equivalents and when on optical zoom this can exceed 1000 mm but the last ? 20% of the display is blue and I can't find out why. Does it indicate a deterioration in quality? I've searched the advanced manual and there seems to be no refernce to it there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series