Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old November 30th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video?

"In stock" at several UK retailers. Wouldn't this be the same version as in Oz?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:28 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Hi Ronald

It seems like we are getting the FZ2500 and only Europe and the UK are getting the 2000. Maybe it's something to do with time limits?? AFAIK both models have eliminated the 29 minute clip limit?

If they are identical then why make 2 models???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Now in stock at Adorama US but not B+H. Should get washed up on the shores of Western Australia soon
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:20 AM   #34
Inner Circle

We have a few dealers here that also advertise "in stock" and when you click on "BUY" you get a message saying the item will be shipped mid December!!

I have paid a pre-order amount from my local guy so I'll wait patiently!!!
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:26 PM   #35
Tourist

Putting together a kit for wildlife videos can be like jumping into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim (or the ocean). You don't know what you do not know.

There are magnificent videos that have been done of very small animals and insects that require far less in terms of video and audio recording equipment. There have also been some interesting videos that have sound from both above and below the water and you can buy excellent hydrophones for under $200 and mate them with relatively inexpensive ambient mics or something like the BP4029.

Lucas has said that half of the value of a movie is in the sound and at least with his films that is definitely true. I see too many wildlife films where the sound sucks and I see golden opportunities missed.

Even pros will invest in time to get as close as possible to their subjects and work from a blind. This also reduces the lens magnification required and works better in low light conditions.
Bruce Stenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:13 PM   #36
Major Player

I was so happy to see this thread. At last, someone has advice for a new "wildlife-useable" camera. Not to be. Larry, your question about what is a good wildlife camera has a couple of answers. If you are only doing big creatures, or nearby creatures, the Panasonic Lumix instruments are fine. If you want to get your reach by digiscoping, the GH4 is the standard in the field. You can do small birds and other things that hold still pretty much.

But if you want a long reach with the ability to use any lens you want, good audio, a viewfinder that works in any light, and a machine dedicated to video, there are very few choices, and they are all very old, because reach requires a small sensor, and no one is making professional, affordable camcorders with them right now. The best available is the Sony PMW-300 ($7,000 or so). It only shoots HD, but records 422 at 50mB/s, and can shoot at 60fps for reasonable, but not great,slow motion.

I hope someone comes up with something better soon.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:24 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
I was so happy to see this thread. At last, someone has advice for a new "wildlife-useable" camera. Not to be. Larry, your question about what is a good wildlife camera has a couple of answers. If you are only doing big creatures, or nearby creatures, the Panasonic Lumix instruments are fine. If you want to get your reach by digiscoping, the GH4 is the standard in the field. You can do small birds and other things that hold still pretty much.

But if you want a long reach with the ability to use any lens you want, good audio, a viewfinder that works in any light, and a machine dedicated to video, there are very few choices, and they are all very old, because reach requires a small sensor, and no one is making professional, affordable camcorders with them right now. The best available is the Sony PMW-300 ($7,000 or so). It only shoots HD, but records 422 at 50mB/s, and can shoot at 60fps for reasonable, but not great,slow motion.

I hope someone comes up with something better soon.
Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that it may not have the reach that I was hoping for, but there are too many other features about the camera that are appealing, so it still at the top of my list. I expect I'll be buying one this winter. The waterfowl are already here. Yes, to me, wildlife means birds and mammals.

One reviewer of the 2500 mentioned that it is the GH4's little brother. I don't quite understand what you mean by digiscoping. My understaning of digiscoping is adding an SLR to a spoting scope. I tried that in the 1990s with a minolta and celestron. It sucked. I don't expect to record all scenes from a long distance, but I do want to have the capability to get that one brief scene of a zoom-in on the subject from a distance. I think the 2500 will be up to the task.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:10 PM   #38
Major Player

Yes, digiscoping is adding a camera to a spotting scope, just as you said. In recent years the techniques have improved in the hands of some very talented people. New adapters have made actual video easy.
The impediments you encountered in the 1990s, however, persist in diminished form. I do not use the method. When you buy your camera, please remember to save some money for the best video head you can afford. It will make a huge difference in your shots, and quality is proportional to price.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:27 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I have a manfrotto 502 head on my old bogen 3021 tripod with a small leveling base between. Seems fine with a canon 7D ii and 100-400mm. Thought I do get shaky video when hand is on panning bar and lens extended and len image stabilizer off. Would expect better results with 2500.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:33 AM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Yes, digiscoping is adding a camera to a spotting scope, just as you said. In recent years the techniques have improved in the hands of some very talented people. New adapters have made actual video easy.
The impediments you encountered in the 1990s, however, persist in diminished form. I do not use the method. When you buy your camera, please remember to save some money for the best video head you can afford. It will make a huge difference in your shots, and quality is proportional to price.
This lady does digiscoping and produces some really nice videos. https://vimeo.com/h2otara/videos
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:53 PM   #41
Major Player

She is just about the best there is, and has a world-wide reputation. She uses a GH4 and a Swarovski scope. She owns a swamp and many species of birds are found pretty much in her backyard.
Old December 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
She owns a swamp...
On my list.
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #43
Regular Crew

My daughter got me the only FZ2500 in Perth a few days ago ( sorry Chris)] It's really outstanding but for this thread it seems there is a 40 x zoom available but only for 8 mb files, if this is all you want then you can't ask for more at this price or any other! I've not tested it but they claim no deterioration in quality. so far I'm really impressed by this camera, exceeding my expectations but I need to spend more time finding out what it's capable of.
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

I cursed under my breath but on the outside I'm happy for you!! Yeah it's very frustrating indeed ..I put my order in end of September and still waiting. Someone has now said we will only get them in mid January!!

I was thinking about just getting another FZ1000 to carry me over until they arrive and they ALSO are out of stock and expected in mid January so I might as well just wait!! I could have bought one from the USA but our exchange rate is really poor at the moment (72c to the US$) so I will hang in there!

Enjoy your camera and don't be afraid to put up your comments too once you have used it a bit!!
Old December 20th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #45
Inner Circle

It appears that the FZ2500 has a wired remote and I would like to know if this is just for stills or will the normal Panasonic remotes from people like Libec also control zoom and start/stop when shooting video.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series