DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Best Lenses for Redrock (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/100871-best-lenses-redrock.html)

Michael Mills August 8th, 2007 09:40 AM

Best Lenses for Redrock

I'm sure this has been discussed at lenght before. I'm considering purchasing a Redrock for the HVX. I understand that some are using nice Nikon 35mm glass on the front end instead of film primers and getting great results. Has anyone experienced this and what would you recommend?

Dan Brockett August 8th, 2007 09:58 AM

Some lenses

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mills (Post 725430)
I'm sure this has been discussed at lenght before. I'm considering purchasing a Redrock for the HVX. I understand that some are using nice Nikon 35mm glass on the front end instead of film primers and getting great results. Has anyone experienced this and what would you recommend?

Hi Michael:

Some good pointers...

1. Buy the older manual focus only Nikon lenses, do not buy the newest autofocus D series. The older manual focus lenses had silky smooth focusing mechanisms that respond to manual or FF input very nicely. When I use lens adapters, I find that my newest D series lenses are very clunky on the focus mechanism, which makes sense since everyone uses autofocus now. Why make the manual focus so great when so few manually focus? I find it almost impossible to get smooth, bobble-free rack focuses with the D lenses.

2. Avoid the zooms, in general. You don't generally need to zoom in filmmaking and the zooms are larger, heavier and slower than primes.

3. I would look at a package, something like a 24 or 28mm 2.0 or 2.8, a 50mm 1.2 or 1.4 and an 85mm 1.4 or 1.8. Generally longer lenses like the 105mm and up give such a narrow field of view, they are of questionable value in many types of filmmaking (unless you specifically need long reach?)

4. Don't forget the rods and a follow focus along with a matte box. That's the issue with stuff like the M2, they work great but when you add up the cost of all of this stuff, it usually approaches the purchase price of an HVX-200 so I say get this stuff only if you are a serious filmmaker. If you dabble, these are expensive toys IMHO.

Also, I find in using these adapters, they are really only needed for specific shots, it's an effect and an artistic choice. Personally, I get really bored if every shot has shallow depth of field. You have to mix it up and use some deep focus too and the HVX, as we all know, would have made Orson Welles very happy because it's so easy to get deep depth of field.

Good luck,

Dan

Michael Mills August 8th, 2007 10:11 AM

Thank you, Dan. I do this professionally and am seeing an increased need with clients for bigger production value without shooting 35mm film. Something we're considering. Your input was very helpful.