HPX-2000 vs. HPX-500 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks guys.
I'll take one of each and a side of fries please.
- Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #17
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Thanks guys.
I'll take one of each and a side of fries please.
- Lenny
You want cheese with that? (^_*)
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #18
New Boot

Thanks Robert, anyone else know about ENG style, non-prime lenses/prices for the 2000?

I'd like to keep this thread alive for any future information comparing the two cameras. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Eschenfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #19
Go Go Godzilla

Dan,

The best thing to do is visit your local rep where you get your video equipment or look at the sponsors list for a shop near you that sells the ENG lenses and have them demo some for you. The larger retailers/distributors will have a good selection to preview and you'll be able to see the differences visually between the high-end HD-spec glass and the less costly ones.
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #20
Trustee

There is a new circuit board coming for the HPX2000 which allows for AVC-Intra recordings. That and the better imagers would make me pick up the HPX2000 over the HPX500.

If money is not an option and you’re willing to wait, than you might as well get the HPX3000, although it’s mostly suitable for 1080 footage. The expected release date is around September to October. If you just want 720p than the HPX2000 is good enough.
By the way, the HPX2000 was picked up by the BBC if it means anything to you.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
If you just want 720p than the HPX2000 is good enough.
The 2000 does shoot 1080p. Yes, the switchable Intra recording option is a great plus as well. Though I say budget isn't as huge of a concern, the 3000 is a little bit too much. I don't think I can justify that price compared to the 2000. I'd still like to see some video comparisons and learn more about lenses for the 2000. If anyone can provide that.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #22
Go Go Godzilla

Since the 3000 has not yet been released you won't see any comparo's being done anytime soon and most likely not until sometime next year. But I highly doubt that a direct comparison of this type would ever be done by an individual unless it was sponsored by an outside source. Equipment at this level is too pricey to have on-hand just for testing however as I say, the best way to preview equipment is to visit your local retailer/distributor and, when possible, rent or demo the equipment from that dealer.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #23
Major Player

Just food for thought - the 3000 is an interlaced camera 480/1080 - it won't have 720. Looks beautiful - but I'll probably wait for the P2 varicam for the $.

The 2000 provides lovely images - I've been pulling the detail settings down actually (beautiful 720 & 1080) - have 2 of them. 5 card 16 gig load with the new pN firmware is 212 minutes (720 24pN). Otherwise, the FS100 gives you even more (260ish?).

Lenses were mentioned - I have a Canon HJ18x7.8/2x, HJ11x4.7/2x wide and a Fuji XA17/2x - lovely stuff so far. Finally finished with the testing/workflow - rentals and regular capture ongoing frome here.

Hardest thing at first was software downconversion - found that hardware downconversion was the most appealing (ie: AJA/Teranex).

I'm broke, but the quality is there... Looking forward to playing with the Intra codec - seems like things will only get better.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Since the 3000 has not yet been released you won't see any comparo's being done anytime soon and most likely not until sometime next year. But I highly doubt that a direct comparison of this type would ever be done by an individual unless it was sponsored by an outside source. Equipment at this level is too pricey to have on-hand just for testing however as I say, the best way to preview equipment is to visit your local retailer/distributor and, when possible, rent or demo the equipment from that dealer.
No I meant the 2000 vs. the 500. I'm not interested in teh 3000... too steep.
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #25
Go Go Godzilla

The easiest way to preview either is to visit any Panny Flagship dealer; most if not all will have both on-hand. Alternatively, you can go to any of the P2 HD road-show locations (there are several more shows scheduled for the remainder of the year) and get some face-time with both the 500 and 2000.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
The easiest way to preview either is to visit any Panny Flagship dealer; most if not all will have both on-hand. Alternatively, you can go to any of the P2 HD road-show locations (there are several more shows scheduled for the remainder of the year) and get some face-time with both the 500 and 2000.
Robert,
Just wanted to let you know that I attended a P2 HD clinic in St. Louis not too long ago and found your presentation very helpful. You answered all the questions I had about the P2 workflow in a very well thought out presentation.

I recommended to my company that we purchase an HVX200 after that clinic and received it yesterday. It should be a blast once we receive our 16GB p2 card.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders