Panasonic P2 software for Mac - it's about time! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic P2 software for Mac - it's about time!

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...cms/index.html

Not sure you guys saw this but Panasonic has released a Mac version of their P2 software.
Features: display, ingest, search, categorize, edit properties, play back, add text or voice memo, export, back up, archive, and restore footage.
works with QT 7.1.6 ( incompatible with QT 7.2 ).

thanks HDforindies for posting that up.
Eric Peltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Thanks eric,
is this the same software that is being discussed on DVXUser (P2CMS)?

"hallelujah!!.... New P2 software from Panny for both PC and Mac!"

I got confused reading that frankly, but i'm not a post guy so much.

Hey as a brevis owner, could you chime in on another post on this forum. I'd like to hear your experience

"Neutral Density filters for use with the HVX"
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Does not appear to be incompatible with QT 7.2, only 'not supported', they probably have not tested it yet.
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Major Player

It works with 7.2 however on some clips there seems to be no audio when playing back in the program.

Joe
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Major Player

And you can directly import mxf video files, although not synced to audio
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It about time

You know I would be willing to bet that more than half of all HVX users are working on a mac. I know when you registered you had to indicate what platform you were using, so they certainly have a track on this info somewhere. I guess it takes 6months to a year to make it from the marketing dept. down to the engineering dept.
Brian Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Try about 80 to 90 percent according to Barry Green.

Panasonic has clearly missed its market segment on many things Mac related.
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Holy smokes, that's unbelievable. I guess we'll be seeing more mac outta-the-gates first updates and maybe even some beta testing down the road.
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Barry bases this on the attendance at his and Jarred's Bootcamp series and in talking to other HVX users.

It isn't scientific but a poll at another web site indicates the figures as close.

I don't mean to speak for him, so I hope he chimes in as well.
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

My observation at BootCamps across the US is that about 95% of BootCamp attendees are using the Mac with their HVX. I've run that survey over and over and over. The lowest I've ever seen is 85% FCP, the average is 95%.

That's probably a disproportionate number of indie filmmakers though, and not necessarily representative of the industry as a whole.

Now, internationally my seminars show a more even split, more like 49% FCP and 49% Avid, and about 2% anything-else. The larger the organization, or the older the organization, the more likely they are to be using Avid; the newer the organization the more likely they are to be using FCP.

So David's probably accurate, at least 80% overall.

On DVInfo it seems like the 90% figure about holds accurate as well.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have intimate knowledge of one of the cable news channels and while they do use avid in the studio they have been buying macbooks for field operations. Their graphics dept is entirely mac of course, while the IT dept services mostly windows machines for the production staff. It'll be interesting to see how this works out as the network moves to a tapeless workflow. They just installed a huge IBM tape storage system in their vault so it won't be long before we find out.
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #12
Major Player

My 2 cents ...

It doesn't matter whether the video / audio is produced on Mac or PC platforms. Both sides have very capable tools (both h/w and s/w). Years back, the Mac is a superior platform because of good s/w being made available. But, the point is now moot since the PC has largely caught up with the Mac. Most of older video production houses are stuck with Mac - Avids or FCP. They can't migrate them to better platforms because of costs. Some are still using Beta SP.

What really matters is the skills of the people involved in doing the video / audio in that platform of choice. Without getting in the age old debate of whether Mac or PC is better, I have the fortunate experience of using both Mac and PC. I would say - there is NO difference at all. Both platforms have its strength, and both has its pitfalls.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

No one was making that argument. I use a PC at work while my home machine is a mac. I was simply saying that for my $6k it will be nice to enjoy the same support as the PC community.

My comment about convergence speaks more to the political side of the equation since it seems that vendor decisions are going to increasingly be made by the IT dept since they are assuming responsibilites that were previously outside of their domain so to speak i.e. they are now responsible for maintaining a footage library. Those decisions used to be made by a different dept.
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #14
Inner Circle

A house with PC based Avids would certainly benefit from MAcbooks in the field, as their Avid software will run just fine on the Macs. Especially MC. I will be buying a MacbookPro this fall, and I cut on AVID PC in my studio.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #15
Major Player

It is a bit unfortunate that Panasonic is a Windows based company. They make notebooks under the Toughbook brand as well. This might imply that support for PC / Windows will always be better positioned than the corresponding support on a Macintosh.

Just take a look at their support for upgrading P2Store is enough. I can't see how the P2Store can have their firmware upgraded via the Mac platform. The instructions and programs only run on Windows.

If 95% of the HVX200 users are on the Mac platform (as Barry has stated above), somebody better wake Panasonic up !!!
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders