DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Stills from HVX/Brevis/Nikon Test Shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/103459-stills-hvx-brevis-nikon-test-shoot.html)

Jiovanni Iacoviello September 13th, 2007 12:09 AM

Stills from HVX/Brevis/Nikon Test Shoot

8 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Shot some test footage this weekend with my HVX/Brevis/nikon combo. Here are a few still grabs. If you click on pic/link you can see full size. Would love to get some feedback. Thanks.

Dean Harrington September 13th, 2007 05:42 PM

boken ...

looks pretty nice. Wonder how the grain shows shooting 60p on that adaptor?

Jiovanni Iacoviello September 13th, 2007 05:57 PM

Wondering that myself. Hope to test other frame rates soon.

Jon Wolding September 13th, 2007 09:27 PM

I stitched together some B camera reenactment footage I shot (HVX/Brevis) for a documentary last month. There's some 60p slow motion in there (near the end, the CU of the mobster hanging out of car w/gun is a good example).

Right click, save as...
(DivX codec)

Jiovanni Iacoviello September 13th, 2007 09:35 PM

Jon,

That footage looked great. Did you make any adjustment to the oscillation on the brevis? Also, what lenses are you using?

Jon Wolding September 14th, 2007 08:40 AM

I set my oscillation quite low (when the charge gets low, it sometimes needs a bump to turn it on)... the advantage is that bokeh doesn't have streaking grain.

I used 3 Nikon lenses on this sequence (and a CP filter and a .9 ND filter)... F2.5 105mm, F2.8 135mm, F1.2 50mm.

Jiovanni Iacoviello September 14th, 2007 08:58 AM

Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised you only needed a .9 ND filter with the 50mm 1.2 lens. I would love to know what stop you had your HVX set to, and what stop were you shooting with your nikons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Wolding (Post 744309)
I set my oscillation quite low (when the charge gets low, it sometimes needs a bump to tur.n it on)... the advantage is that bokeh doesn't have streaking grain.

I used 3 Nikon lenses on this sequence (and a CP filter and a .9 ND filter)... F2.5 105mm, F2.8 135mm, F1.2 50mm.

Dean Harrington September 14th, 2007 09:04 AM

footage looks good ...

looks clean! Like the idea of this cam with an adapter more and more!

Jon Wolding September 14th, 2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiovanni Iacoviello (Post 744319)
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised you only needed a .9 ND filter with the 50mm 1.2 lens. I would love to know what stop you had your HVX set to, and what stop were you shooting with your nikons?

Tons of ND is needed in the Florida sun... the 50mm was probably stopped to f5.6 or f8. On that shoot, the HVX was stopped between 2.4 and 5.6, depending on the situation. I try to expose the GG correctly and then use the HVX's iris to fine tune (usually only to 2.8). I never use the camera's NDs, and the main reason I stopped down the HVX so much is because the director wanted a slight glow to the highlights... so I slightly overexposed the GG and stopped down the camera.

BTW, sorry if I hijacked your thread. ;)

Jiovanni Iacoviello September 14th, 2007 11:58 AM

No problem Jon. Since we basically have the same setup, I appreciate all the info you're sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Wolding (Post 744427)
Tons of ND is needed in the Florida sun... the 50mm was probably stopped to f5.6 or f8. On that shoot, the HVX was stopped between 2.4 and 5.6, depending on the situation. I try to expose the GG correctly and then use the HVX's iris to fine tune (usually only to 2.8). I never use the camera's NDs, and the main reason I stopped down the HVX so much is because the director wanted a slight glow to the highlights... so I slightly overexposed the GG and stopped down the camera.

BTW, sorry if I hijacked your thread. ;)