Shooting widescreen HVX-200:: Help needed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Shooting widescreen HVX-200:: Help needed.

Here's my issue. The HVX-200 in 720p mode will only do a 4:3 letterboxed picture with black bars. I want to have a full 16:9 image that will display natively on a 16:9 screen. I'm having one hell of a time finding the option in the menu that would set the camera up this way. I figured it would be totally obvious, but this does not appear to be the case.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Noah Couchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Major Player

In HD the output is true 16:9, which will necessarily look stretched on a standard 4:3 monitor unless the monitor itself can correct the image, with letterboxing. Output to a true 16:9 monitor, a 720P signal will look correct (unless the monitor itself has a sidebars or letterbox function that can be turned on and off).
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Tourist

Yes, that's definitely how it should be. But I'm having a little difficulty setting up the camera.

Can you tell me what settings I need to have in order to have true 16:9 widescreen? I don't have the camera in front of me, or else I'd describe the settings I have currently.
Noah Couchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

In 720p mode, or 1080 mode, or "squeeze" mode, the HVX is always full 16:9.

The only time you get 4:3 is if you shoot standard-def 480 mode and choose "norm" or "letterbox". Anything else ("squeeze", 720, or 1080) will always be full 16:9.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders