DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX 200 + Mac +16:9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/107594-hvx-200-mac-16-9-a.html)

Mike Moncrief November 9th, 2007 06:34 PM

HVX 200 + Mac +16:9

Hi all,

Debated where to put this thread, but figure there must be some Final Cut hanging here.. I have not worked much with this camera.. So need some advice.. In the end we will be shooting with this camera and bringing footage into Final Cut.. It is a very quick turnaround time (overnight) on an editied 2 or 3 minute piece...Camera will have Firestore drive to capture to.. The final has to be on a DVD and has to be 16:9..

So here is what I am not sure about should I shoot High Def and then drop it into Final Cut timeline with the sequence set to 16:9 DV ?? If so I assume it will need to render ?? Will it be a full screen 16:9 image (no black bars)??

Shoot it in high def, edit in high def and then compress it down to standard def 16:9 ???

Or shoot in DV 16:9 DV ?? Is this possible using this camera and the firestore and getting a 16:9 image out without black bars??

What will be the best soulution to get a 16:9 image out of the edit with
no black bars and the best quality image???

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer!!

David Saraceno November 9th, 2007 06:49 PM

I shoot 720/24pNative and edit in a DVCProHD 720/24p preset.

I exported QT (not conversion), current settings, audio and video, self contained, no recompression.

I open Compressor, drop that video in the pane, and choose the DVD 16:9 preset consistent with the length of video in minutes, and Dolby2/AC3 audio.

Take the the m2v and D2 files, import to DVD, and make certain the 16:9 letterbox is chosen in DVDSP for a SD DVD, and author.

Why shoot or transcode to DV and compression 5:1 when you have great DVCProHD footage to start with?

Bob Woodhead November 9th, 2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Moncrief (Post 773024)
Hi all,
Shoot it in high def, edit in high def and then compress it down to standard def 16:9 ???

Yep. Export your 16:9 720HD into Compressor using the 16:9 Anamorphic setting in COmpressor. Creates a SD dvd that fills a widescreen TV. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Looks freaking awesome too.

Mike Moncrief November 9th, 2007 07:12 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reponses so far..I am not really looking for the 24P look, so i assume I can shoot in 720 in 60P ??

Thanks !!

Mike Moncrief November 9th, 2007 08:30 PM

Hello,

Another question for the HVX guys out there.. Pretty sure i know the answer, but need to verify.. When you shoot with the HVX 200 in HD.. It will only record HD to a P2 card or a Firestore drive and not to a tape.. Correct??
And if you record HD to a Firestore drive, can you also record to a tape at the same time?? And if so it will be DV???

Thanks all !!

David Saraceno November 10th, 2007 10:52 AM

You can record to FS-100, most NLEs, Scopebox and HD Monitor on a Mac, and OnLocation on PC any setting that streams out firewire. That means no pNative.

The cam has to be in either the tape mode or p2 mode. No simultaneous to both.

But you can dub.

Mike Moncrief November 10th, 2007 11:16 AM

OK, not sure I understand completely.. So you can recird DVCPRO HD 60P to Firestore ?? Correct ?? And to tape at the same time you can or cannot record?? If so what ??

Thanks..

David Saraceno November 10th, 2007 02:38 PM

The HVX2000 has to be either in the p2 mode OR the tape mode.

The FS-100 requires the p2 mode.

You cannot do both simultaneous. Either record to FS-100 and tape, or p2 and tape.

You can record to the FS-100 in any mode that streams out firewire, which is all support DVCProHD modes EXCEPT pNative modes.

Mike Moncrief November 10th, 2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno (Post 773339)
The HVX2000 has to be either in the p2 mode OR the tape mode.

The FS-100 requires the p2 mode.

You cannot do both simultaneous. Either record to FS-100 and tape, or p2 and tape.

You can record to the FS-100 in any mode that streams out firewire, which is all support DVCProHD modes EXCEPT pNative modes.

Hi David,

Thanks for helping.. Maybe I am am missing it,but I am still not clear with this.. You say in the first sentence "that the HVX200 has to either in the P2 mode or Tape mode.."

then "the FS-100 requires the p2 mode"

OK, I can follow that....but then in the next sentence you conflict what you say in the first sentence with this:

"You cannot do both simultaneous. Either record to FS-100 and tape, or p2 and tape."

where you say record to" FS-100 and tape" which does not work with your first statement "either in the p2 mode or Tape mode"

Anyway maybe a simple Yes or No answer would work..

Can you record to tape at the same time as to the Firestore???

And if so what format will it be on tape , 16:9 DV ??

Thanks for the help..

David Saraceno November 11th, 2007 12:26 PM

No, it cannot do both simultaneously.