Panasonic HVX200 in hot environments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 5th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Tourist

Panasonic HVX200 in hot environments

Hello,
Has anyone here had any experience operating the Panasonic HVX200 in high temperatures?
I have a requirement to shoot time-lapse in 120 degrees F. for 6 hours and would like to use the HVX200.
The environment for this shoot is hot and dry. The camera will stay dry with no expected humidity issues. In other words, I won’t be causing moisture to condense on the camera by moving it in and out of this hot and dry environment.

The maximum temperature operating spec. on the HVX200 is much lower than 120 degrees F. but I have a hunch this camera can handle this project.

Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What's the temp in the shade?

If it's a sun issue, just flag your camera.
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Wolding View Post
What's the temp in the shade?

If it's a sun issue, just flag your camera.
Jon,
It's an indoor manufacturing environment. So flagging the camera would have no effect.
thanks,
Tom
Tom Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well

Hi:

I have used my HVX in Monument Valley, Death Valley and at many beaches during the heat of Summer. It has been fine, but since you ask, you are taking a risk if you are using the camera in temps hotter than Panasonic specifies. A lot of your issue will be the battery. My batteries are often VERY hot when I have been shooting continuously or shooting timelapse in the sun all day as I did today.

All I can tell you is that you are taking a risk in harming your camera. How big of a risk? I am not sure. Is it under warranty?

D
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Major Player

According to the specs, operating temperature of HVX202 is from 0 deg C to 40 deg C. I have used the camera at -15 deg C without any problems at all. Haven't had any opportunity to test the camera at the other extreme yet.

If battery temperature is an issue, consider hooking up an extension power cable from the camera to a location where the battery can be cooled or is at a cooler temperature and you can run your camera in that hot location.

Alternatively, the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 battery has an operating temperature of -20 deg C to 60 deg C. It might prove more resilient than the Panasonic's own LiOn battery.

Last edited by TingSern Wong; December 6th, 2007 at 04:39 AM.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Tom,

I don't remember anymore to what extremes the HVX and HPX were tested but I believe the camera internals will be OK, what's at risk are the flip-out LCD and viewfinder displays; they may have a permanent "burn" after being in such heat for such a prolonged time.

Don't even attempt using batteries for this environment; you'll risk having them explode from the combination of their own generated heat and the environment heat - use external power, period.

On the whole I can't recommend you attempt the shoot, on the other hand we've had our HVX in direct-sun during 115-degree days here in AZ and never had an issue.
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I don't se what the problem is if your shooting timelapse.

Just use a camera coat or what ever they call it. Just keep the heat from the camera. Use a portable AC. Is not like you have to move around with it.

my 5 cents. Taxes and inflation included.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders