Xmas wish list for the next HVX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 78
That's no solution. If I wanted long GOP editing I could get an HDV camera. On the other hand you make a good point. ScanDisc has a 16gb flash memory card Part #: SDCFX3-16384-901 that is selling today for $290. That would hold over an hour of DV. I could go for that. I can't use a 40 minutes record time. That's a deal breaker.

So add that to my Christmas list. The option to use flash memory. That would shake up the world wouldn't it? Don't get me wrong I would still want P2 and all of it's advantages. But what about at least having the option?
Martin Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Sorry, guys ... just got confused. What is the difference between P2 memory cards and your "flash memory"? Isn't all memories today (that are designed to retain contents without battery or constant refreshing) "flash memories"? P2 internally has 4 SDHC cards (which are flash). CF is also flash memory.

If HVX+++ comes with a slot for CF or better still, more than one CF slot, I could use that as well. CF today is already 32GB ... (check Sandisk). Of course, the functionality of P2 - namely, if one card is full, just transfer the recording to the next card won't be on CF or your "flash memory" cards. Remove the tape drive, put in 2 CF slots ... in addition to P2 slots. That's will be great.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Macau
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Sorry, guys ... just got confused. What is the difference between P2 memory cards and your "flash memory"? Isn't all memories today (that are designed to retain contents without battery or constant refreshing) "flash memories"? P2 internally has 4 SDHC cards (which are flash). CF is also flash memory.

If HVX+++ comes with a slot for CF or better still, more than one CF slot, I could use that as well. CF today is already 32GB ... (check Sandisk). Of course, the functionality of P2 - namely, if one card is full, just transfer the recording to the next card won't be on CF or your "flash memory" cards. Remove the tape drive, put in 2 CF slots ... in addition to P2 slots. That's will be great.
Tingsern, our HVX has an SD card slot. Imagine this: we are recording AVC INTRA to the P2 card, and a Proxy (a draft, or lower quality copy) to the SDCARD slot? Or Just plain simply record AVCHD to the normal SD card slot, which would mean cheaper recording, even backup (how much for a 2gb/4gb sd card anyway) of SD and AVCHD footage? Of course, lower quality to what we could achieve when recording to p2, but it would be enough for recording those long events cheaply (avchd at 25mbits/sec would give an our or more in a 8gb card...)

And you wouldn't need the tape drive anymore, which would mean more space for bigger ccd's and a better lens!
__________________
If you don't believe in your film, no one else will.
Sergio Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Sergio, but, if you replace the functionality of the SD slot - where are we going to put the customised scenes into then? The camera - each time we power on - reads from the SD card the customisation done.

Hence I suggested putting a CF slot in place of the tape drive. A CF slot don't take up that much space - compared with a tape. Either that, or forgo the CF and use that space for bigger CCD and larger lens.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Macau
Posts: 331
Well, CF would be good, but I think its a bit unrealistic. panasonic seems to follow Sony in this regard. They have their proprietary solid state media (panasonic sd cards, sony memory stick), and I do not see them supporting other parties solutions...

Not a software expert, here, but wouldn't it be possible to have the scene files settings in SD card function work as well as the recording function? Theoretically, its just storing both things in different folders...And scene files loading its not constant read/write, so, I believe it should be possible to have both functions on the same slot, no?

How about 2 sd slots? Of course a CF slot would be better, but I just don't see this happening.
__________________
If you don't believe in your film, no one else will.
Sergio Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Sergio, sure - we can record on the SD card as well. But, there is always a risk of corrupting the data once we write-enable the SD card. Right now, I have the SD card as read only mode.

I prefer CF to SD ... CF has a higher capacity, more rugged, and faster writing times (Sandisk Extreme 3 / 4).

Of course, all these are talk only - let's see if Panny actually reads what our wishes are .....
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM   #22
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,771
Here’s my take:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...566#post783566

All we can do is guess on what features will or will not be on this camcorder but I do strongly believe that their wont be a tape drive.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
Well, CF would be good, but I think its a bit unrealistic. panasonic seems to follow Sony in this regard. They have their proprietary solid state media (panasonic sd cards, sony memory stick), and I do not see them supporting other parties solutions...

How about 2 sd slots? Of course a CF slot would be better, but I just don't see this happening.
Regarding Sony, a year ago I'd have been in full agreement that solid state=Memory Stick where they were concerned, but they seem to have done quite an about face over that time. New Vaio laptops now come with a built in SD slot, and they seem to be moving over to SD for their consumer still cameras. But their newest video cameras (Z7,S270) seem to be coming with Compact Flash recorders, which has certainly surprised me, especially after the EX and SxS introductions.

So who knows what Panasonic may do next?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:20 AM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Macau
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Regarding Sony, a year ago I'd have been in full agreement that solid state=Memory Stick where they were concerned, but they seem to have done quite an about face over that time. New Vaio laptops now come with a built in SD slot, and they seem to be moving over to SD for their consumer still cameras. But their newest video cameras (Z7,S270) seem to be coming with Compact Flash recorders, which has certainly surprised me, especially after the EX and SxS introductions.

So who knows what Panasonic may do next?
Good point!
__________________
If you don't believe in your film, no one else will.
Sergio Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #25
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
........ I do not see them supporting other parties solutions....
Just in addition Sergio, then whilst the chances of them adopting somebodys elses technology (such as MemoryStick!!) may be very remote, CF is far more open as a standard, and used by many manufacturers.

I'd say the ideal would be to put two CF slots IN ADDITION to two P2 slots. New to solid state users may find CF better for their needs, whilst it would still suit anybody who already has P2 cards and wants to carry on making use of them. It would also enable it still to fit into P2 centric workflows, such as B camera to P2 2/3" cameras.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Tada ... somebody else now singing my tune. Calling for 2 CF slots and 2 P2 slots ... hee hee.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network