Affordable P2 Card reader? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM   #31
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
Hello Tingsern,

I say "low cost" as my last six or so cameras were all well over $15000AUD each for the heads only. yes Pro's , well I suppose I'm in that groove, that's why I slot the HVX200 into the "Low Cost" camera category, I'm sorry if you are offended. Maybe I should have used, "P2 Entry Level".

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #32
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Heh Tom,

No offense at all. Just pointing to everybody that HVX200 is not exactly "low cost" video camera for the masses. It is a Professional video camera that happens to be priced at the "low" end of the price range.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #33
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
Hi TingSern,

Yes they are a very nice piece of gear, recently I convinced a client of mine to get the Latest HVX200A , he had been using an old Sony little 3 chip camera prior , after his first shoot and loading, then editing the P2 files , he gave his old Sony to his son to play with.
He's now a very happy man.

cheers from the bush
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #34
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Tom,

Hope your client don't start complaining to you about the high cost of P2 cards :-).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #35
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
As a matter of fact he did ask me why they where so Pricey, jokingly I told him "we have to keep the manufacturers in the lifestyle there accustomed too".
I can understand his comment when comparing a 60 min DV tape at roughly $4. I went on to tell him P2 cards can be re written many many many times, and he only has to buy them once, that made him happy.

Panasonic would make thousands more P2 users happy by producing a cut down 2 card reader at say under $1000. that's my christmas wish to Panasonic.

Cheers
Tom K
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore, Rep of SINGAPORE
Posts: 749
Tom,

Even at $1K, I doubt many people will want to pay for that. The PC-Card slot in my IBM Thinkpad T60 is a fantastic P2 card reader - and it is free :-).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #37
Tourist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Old Greenwich, CT
Posts: 1
P2 reader

I'm new to all this.
I was hoping out there somewhere is a P2 reader for a Mac that I could just plug in and transfer the images on my card into my computer.
Based on the previous threads, it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Is that really the case?
Noah Finz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #38
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Finz View Post
I'm new to all this.
I was hoping out there somewhere is a P2 reader for a Mac that I could just plug in and transfer the images on my card into my computer.
Based on the previous threads, it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Is that really the case?
Hi Noah,
Lots of discussion on P2 card readers, everyone has different expectations, and differing views on what is reasonable cost, Lots of info on my site--
O-line Video Productions - Home Page
If your on a Macpro with PCIe theres a new reader on the horizion from Sonnettech, the QIO. that info is too on my site and posted on some forums. Hopefully It will be the card reader to take us "solid state users" into the future.
cheapest way is to get an old Windows lappy and network to your mac. If your Mac is an old G4 with PCI then you could use the Amtron reader, as long as your on Tiger 10.4.8 no later.
Leopard and Intel Macpros are designed for expresscards so don't expect any easy solutions there.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au
__________________
Tom K
www.olinevideo.com.au
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #39
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LA/SFV
Posts: 155
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Klein View Post
Hi Noah,
Lots of discussion on P2 card readers, everyone has different expectations, and differing views on what is reasonable cost, Lots of info on my site--
O-line Video Productions - Home Page
If your on a Macpro with PCIe theres a new reader on the horizion from Sonnettech, the QIO. that info is too on my site and posted on some forums. Hopefully It will be the card reader to take us "solid state users" into the future.
cheapest way is to get an old Windows lappy and network to your mac. If your Mac is an old G4 with PCI then you could use the Amtron reader, as long as your on Tiger 10.4.8 no later.
Leopard and Intel Macpros are designed for expresscards so don't expect any easy solutions there.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

This is true. But if you are on a MacBook Pro, find a duel adapter and install P2 CMS and transfer that way. There are plenty of threads on that work-flow around here....
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #40
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 491
Sonnet's Qio looks just great and can be used for SxS cars too and maybe SDHC cards.
What I cannot see, is if if will work under windows too ??
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #41
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Sonnet's Qio looks just great and can be used for SxS cars too and maybe SDHC cards.
What I cannot see, is if if will work under windows too ??
Hi Bo, I believe there's plenty of cheap card reader solutions for windows out in the market place, it's the current range of Intel Macpro's that's been satisfied by the QIO, who knows Sonnet may make a driver for it to work under windows, time will tell.
Let's wait n see.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au
__________________
Tom K
www.olinevideo.com.au
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #42
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 491
Hi
I am aware that there are not man P2 reader solutions for Mac but I do not think there is many alternatives for windows either. This solution will probably be very fast and great for the new 1,2gB P2 cards - I have not seen anything like the sonnet solution for PC's.
Bo
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #43
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
Hi Bo,

what is your computer you need to have a P2 reader for, give me some specs.
have you USB, FW, PCIe, or PCI, or expresscard connect...XP or Vista. desktop or lappy.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au
__________________
Tom K
www.olinevideo.com.au
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 491
A external or 5,25 combined sxs and P2 reader for PCIe would be nice. Or a P2 reader only for PCIe or for expresscard/34. I know panasonic makes one - but it would be nice wirh something cheaper. Although I am considering the panasonic AJ-PCD35 for news gathering.
An sxs reader for PCIe on my stationary PC would be nice too. Guess it would be faster than the Sony SXS-USB reader
Bo..
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #45
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia Vic
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
A external or 5,25 combined sxs and P2 reader for PCIe would be nice. Or a P2 reader only for PCIe or for expresscard/34. I know panasonic makes one - but it would be nice wirh something cheaper. Although I am considering the panasonic AJ-PCD35 for news gathering.
An sxs reader for PCIe on my stationary PC would be nice too. Guess it would be faster than the Sony SXS-USB reader
Bo..
Hello Bo,
Compare the cost ofthe (AJ-PCD35) to the (Qio) and then bear in mind that the Qio will read many cards other than just P2,
It's "Not rocket science" to see which one is the stand out winner...cost v performance v versatility.
I'm looking forward to my Qio and will report transfer times as soon as I have them..
I imagine to have a "driver" built, to have the Qio recognzed on windows with a PCIe or expresscard slot will be a much easier process to achieve than it is on the Mac.

cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au
__________________
Tom K
www.olinevideo.com.au

Last edited by Tom Klein; May 16th, 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo's
Tom Klein is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network