Affordable P2 Card reader? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #61
Regular Crew

More info from sonnet on the Qio card reader. now available for pre-order I see.
qio po.jpg

https://secure1.sonnettech.com/index...429475723053f1

A "new thread" started by the first guy who gets his hands on the Qio, and reports of transfer speeds would be great.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by Tom Klein; September 25th, 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: more info
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #62
Trustee

Here in the UK creative video also have it on their web site:https://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publ...ber=sonnet_qio
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Bump,

Not too far away now..... I have the PCIe version for my Macpro tower on pre-order.
Would make a nice christmas present.

Cheers

Last edited by Tom Klein; October 28th, 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #64
Major Player

I would see the compatibility with a Windows OS (Vista 64) first ... before I think about acquiring one Xmas present for myself.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Hello Tingsern Wong,

How can (Windows OS (Vista 64) be that much different for a "card reader" than plain old Vista ?
being mainly Mac I didnt think that windows boxes were that involved ?.

Cheers

Last edited by Tom Klein; October 28th, 2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #66
Major Player

Hi Tom,

Plain old vista has 2 versions - 32 bits and 64 bits. I use the 64 bits version. This is no ordinary card reader. It has a PCIe card - and you need device drivers for that to work under Windows platform. Therefore, I rather wait for more reports of compatibility with that platform first - before taking the plunge.

Cheers,
TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Hi TingSern Wong,

no doubt someone will get the Qio and try it in the same sys as you have and make a report on some forum somewhere. (maybe you could do it and report findings, or just send it back if it dosen't work)
If Sonnet guys do the job they do on the rest of their range of gear , it should be a winner.

Cheers
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #68
Major Player

What is that P2->EC adapter that can be used with Nexto NVS2500?
Can it be purchased alone, how much & how fast would it work with regular Vista laptop?
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #69
Barry Wan Kenobi

There are standalone adapters that are similar to the Nexto; Addonics and Rosewill make them. I have the Rosewill, cost me $25 from Newegg with free shipping, and it works fine.

But, of course, for some reason those adapters simply will not work on Apple computers -- even if you run Windows on the Apple.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #70
New Boot

Re: Affordable P2 Card reader?

Time to revive an old topic. My research shows the Amtron PCD-TP-110CS CardBus card reader does not support Hot Plug/Hot Swap with P2 cards.

This means you have to reboot to read another card after you have ejected the first card.

Is this still the case? What are user experiences?

The Panasonic AJ-PCD2 is certainly a lot more money. But rebooting after every card is silly.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 [NIV]
Jon Doughtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #71
Trustee

I just broke down and bought an AJ-PCD2G as an alternative to my duel adapter set up. Unit works nicely but its speed is about 20 to 25% slower than the duel adapter set up based on quick tests. Does seem to let you mount and dismount cards better.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Cripes, this is an old thread n subject, might as well add my five cents to it.

I ended up cancelling my order for the Qio, as I found out just prior to delivery that the transfer times were no better than transfer times from the camera.
So, I waited for the PCD2 Panasonic USB reader and our Aussie dollar to match the US dollar, and now I use that. A credit Panasonic having listened to their users and created the single slot reader , even if most think it's over priced.
I did go thru a phase of using a 17" Powerbook with PC card slot, (Now up for sale) but since have sprung for a 2011 17" i7 2.3quad MBP it's encode times are unbelievable, and having three USB slots is great,

Will be interesting if someone ever builds a "Thunderbolt to P2 card reader", now that might take transfer times to new heights, but till then it's steady as you go.

cheers

Last edited by Tom Klein; August 19th, 2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typos
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #73
Major Player

Yes a thunderbolt card reader.. this is the new Xmas list to Pana Santa.. so will probably happen about 2020 or there abouts.. nexto 2525 with P2 slot looks the faster /least hassle at the moment.. ?
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM   #74
Major Player

A few years later, and I still haven't found anything better than my Dell D410. Netbook size, 6 hour battery, PCMCIA slot, 320GB hard drive, gigabit internet (wire it into your edit machine's network, share the drive - voila, network card reader), and offloads/verifies A-series cards at about a minute per gig... E-series cards at a little over half that. I think you can now get them used for maybe $120 or less.
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Probyn View Post
Yes a thunderbolt card reader.. this is the new Xmas list to Pana Santa.. so will probably happen about 2020 or there abouts.. nexto 2525 with P2 slot looks the faster /least hassle at the moment.. ?
This offering is close , but not close enough for us (PC slotted) P2 users.... but still interesting that products are being designed and manufactured, if they can do it for an expresscard adapter that will not set sales records, why not make one for P2 cards, come on Sonnett, Have a go.
suggested retail price $149.95 . It would be no good for me on my 17" MBP it already has the expresscard slot.

Sonnet - Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter

Cheers

Last edited by Tom Klein; August 25th, 2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
Tom Klein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders