HPX500 shooting package at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1
New Boot

HPX500 shooting package

We are in the process of putting together a hd shooting package and I need some help. We have a total of $50,000 to spend and we would like to put together a package with the HPX500. I am considering one of the package deals that Panasonic has put together that includes a lens and P2 cards, but I would like some advice on what other equipment to buy. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding which tripod, light kit, audio package, c-stands, and monitoring system to buy? Am I leaving anything else out? We plan on shooting commercials, corporate videos and documentaries.

Thanks
Scott
Scott David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Major Player

I would look at authorized Panasonic dealers, since they can come up with better prices than Panasonic itself (assuming you don't know anyone internaly, of course). With that budget, I would also take a look at the HPX2000, a superior camera. If you don't need variable frame rates, do take a look at this camera. It has the capability to upgrade to avc-intra recording (with optional board)

As for gear, I heard very good things about the Fujinon lens, and , curiosly enough, hardly any feedback on the Canon (package lenses). I did try the Canon on a Demo, felt solid without much breathing. Never tried the fujinon.

I would suggest looking at Panasonic's own BTLh80w monitor for optional Viewfinder. it has a special connection to the HPX500 and makes it work as the viewfinder. I would also look into a High end Professional grade LCD with high contrast ratio, like the Sony's and the Panasonic BTLH series. Why? I was a believer of HD CRT's, and footage does look a lot better on those, but the real thing is 90% of the people watching HD are doing so with either LCD or Plasma technology. Which means grading on similar technology would provide better broadcast results, IMHO.

As for tripod, I wold look at Miller heads and legs. Go for carbon fiber if you have the chance. It looks like its a minimal gain in weight, but believe me that even 1kg is a huge difference for portability.

I do not know if you intend to also invest on editing equipment, carrying cases, dollys, etc.

Anyway, take all these suggestions with a grain of salt, since it is only the opinion of an HVX user that tried the HPX for evaluation purposes.
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Scott,

If you look on the Sponsors page of this forum you'll see a handful of Panny-authorized dealers than can assist you.

I can personally vouch for Abel Cine in LA and Omega Broadcast in Austin.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott David View Post
We are in the process of putting together a hd shooting package and I need some help. We have a total of $50,000 to spend and we would like to put together a package with the HPX500. I am considering one of the package deals that Panasonic has put together that includes a lens and P2 cards, but I would like some advice on what other equipment to buy. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding which tripod, light kit, audio package, c-stands, and monitoring system to buy? Am I leaving anything else out? We plan on shooting commercials, corporate videos and documentaries.

Thanks
Scott
This is my personal wish list if i was going to spend a total of $50,000 for doing mostly commercials

HPX500 ------------ 10,500
P+S Technik Pro 35 ------ $ 27,000
P+S Nikon mount ------ $ 1,070
Carl Zeiss Prime Distagon T* 2/28 ZF -------- $1,538
Carl Zeiss Prime Planar T* 1,4/50 ZF ---------------$878
Carl Zeiss Prime Planar T* 1,4/85 ZF ---------$1,538
Vinten VISION 3 Aluminum Tripod System ---- $ 1,899.99
Marshall V-R70P-HDSDI 7 Inch LCD Monitor ------------- 1600
2 16gig p2 cards -------------- 1,800
4500 WATT DAYFLO-PRO STUDIO KIT comes with everything - $1995

subtotal -------- $49,823

(EDIT: i found out that i was over by $500 on the prime lenses, so they are actually around 1,000. And the 50mm is around $500, so all of this is a bit cheaper)

I'm pretty sure i missed a lot and most likely went over the budget when you factor in tax and/or shipping. but you might find some of the items i included interesting.

just my 2 bits.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Keep an eye on the Letus guys; they're supposedly going to introduce a Letus competitor to the Pro35 at about 1/5 the price. Might shave $20,000 off of that $50,000 budget.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
Keep an eye on the Letus guys; they're supposedly going to introduce a Letus competitor to the Pro35 at about 1/5 the price. Might shave $20,000 off of that $50,000 budget.
:) yes this is so true, i cant wait for their relays to come out, it will change the world for me (and my wallet)!
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Inner Circle

But why?

Hi Giuseppe:

Your package looks good but why on earth use an outdated monitor like the Marshall? Please consider the Panasonic BT-LH80 or the Nebtek NEB70HDS monitors. Both are leagues better than the old Marshall and don't cost much more. Both feature in-focus or white or red feature that is great.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi Giuseppe:

Your package looks good but why on earth use an outdated monitor like the Marshall? Please consider the Panasonic BT-LH80 or the Nebtek NEB70HDS monitors. Both are leagues better than the old Marshall and don't cost much more. Both feature in-focus or white or red feature that is great.

Best,

Dan
you know what, you are completely right, the marshall was kind of the first thing that popped in my head because my producer used to own one, and i loved the image on it. I love that they are incorporating the "red in focus" feature on the new ones. Im curious tho, it seems EXACTLY like what JVC has patented for their proHD cameras... How could another company come up with something that works the same way, when its patented by another big company?

oh well, yeah next month im in the market for a monitor again (just bought a new camera) and ill be wanting a Panasonic BT-LH80, we'll see what the wallet gods have in store for me come then haha.
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese View Post
it seems EXACTLY like what JVC has patented for their proHD cameras... How could another company come up with something that works the same way, when its patented by another big company?
A few reasons. One, it's not 'exactly' the same, as the JVC implementation involved turning the whole screen black and white and only the peaking was in color; I think the BT-lH80 lets you keep the color on the screen. Two, Panasonic owned a majority share of JVC when the HD100 was introduced. Three, I've heard it said that japanese patents only last 18 months, and that was up a long time ago. And four, Sony actually came out with the feature before JVC did anyway -- colored focus is available on the Z1U as well as the EX1.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I think the BT-lH80 lets you keep the color on the screen.
Yes - absolutely correct. Focus in red highlights the area in sharp focus with marching ants in red colour. The screen still shows everything in colour.

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
A few reasons. One, it's not 'exactly' the same, as the JVC implementation involved turning the whole screen black and white and only the peaking was in color; I think the BT-lH80 lets you keep the color on the screen. Two, Panasonic owned a majority share of JVC when the HD100 was introduced. Three, I've heard it said that japanese patents only last 18 months, and that was up a long time ago. And four, Sony actually came out with the feature before JVC did anyway -- colored focus is available on the Z1U as well as the EX1.
Ahhh You see I didn't know that it worked in color, thats kinda cool! haha. So this 18 month thing, i guess thats why Japanese companies fight over coming out with almost identical products all the time, because by the time they would fight it, their 18 months is over anyway?

I also didn't know that panasonic owned a part of JVC as well... that could explain why in the photos of the JVCHD100 they didnt black out the panasonic logo on the lcd monitor.

you learn something new everyday :)
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Rubbing my hands together right now waiting to hear on that letus.

Giuseppe you forgot batteries in your package.:P

Just a word on the EVF function of the pana monitor - forget wasting your money on the adapter cables to do it (which are not cheap) because the HPX500 only outputs to the EVF in B and W at low resolution. Just get the SDI option and away you go.

Scott also on lighting, this can be a big purchase expense but not a bad rent tbh. It really depends on the size of your productions.

Audio thats a tough one. Do you have anything atm? Id start reading the audio forum to see where that starts you off so you can ask more specific questions.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
Rubbing my hands together right now waiting to hear on that letus.

Giuseppe you forgot batteries in your package.:P
haha yes batteries, na don't use'm, i just wait for lightning to strike the ground, then the juice just flows right from the tripod to the camera 0:-) lol

yes when the letus comes out i will be going nuts, im getting one for my HD110 :) If so then you have 25,000 extra to spend on lighting, and a second HPX500 with ENG type lens.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders