DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Looking for Advice: Which Matte Box (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/111250-looking-advice-matte-box.html)

Darrin Altman December 30th, 2007 05:18 PM

Looking for Advice: Which Matte Box

I am looking for a matte box for my HPX500 and Canon lens. I currently have a Zacuto Universal lightweight support system and a Chrosziel follow focus. I mainly want the matte box for light control initially although I will be purchasing some filters in the future. I am debating on the following two:

1. Cavision MB4169H2-M 4x4 Wide Hard Shade Matte Box with Two Metal Filter Trays http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=442170&is=REG

or

2. Chrosziel AC41150HPXK1 Mattebox System Kit 1 for HPX-500
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ystem_Kit.html

The Cavision with French Flap and Side Flaps, rod connector and rubber step down ring comes in at around $700. The Chrosziel is about double the price without the side flaps.

I could use some advice from some of you who have seen / used / have experience with matte boxes.

Thank you in advance.

Darrin

Eric Darling December 30th, 2007 05:41 PM

#2 without question. Cavision equipment is cheap plastic, and never seems to fit as perfectly as Chrosziel. When it comes to matte boxes, you definitely get what you pay for.

Dan Brockett December 30th, 2007 10:30 PM

If

Hiya:

I went through this a couple of months ago. The smart money is on the Red Rock Micro new matte box (if it ever ships). For around $500.00, you will have superior quality to the Cavision, a ton of great features and very good quality. Just not sure exactly when they begin deliveries, I think it's within a few weeks for those who had reservations, perhaps a month later for those who didn't.

I bought the Cinevate matte box. For a low cost unit, it's pretty great. Two rotating stages, two sizes of french flag and side flags, internal eyebrows, all for $500.00. The quality is quite good, to my eye, better than the more expensive Cavision. It's definitely not Chroiszel quality level but it's about 1/3 the price too.

Barry Green has been very positive about the Vocas. He sold his Chroiszel and Cavision (at least I think he had a Cavision) and ended up with the Vocas, which he has been very satisfied with.

Lots of good choices. As you know, Zacuto pushes the Petroff boxes so I am sure that they are good as well.

But man, that Red Rock seems really sweet for very little $$$ if you can wait.

Best,

Dan

Darrin Altman December 31st, 2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 800281)
Hiya:

I went through this a couple of months ago. The smart money is on the Red Rock Micro new matte box (if it ever ships). For around $500.00, you will have superior quality to the Cavision, a ton of great features and very good quality. Just not sure exactly when they begin deliveries, I think it's within a few weeks for those who had reservations, perhaps a month later for those who didn't.

I bought the Cinevate matte box. For a low cost unit, it's pretty great. Two rotating stages, two sizes of french flag and side flags, internal eyebrows, all for $500.00. The quality is quite good, to my eye, better than the more expensive Cavision. It's definitely not Chroiszel quality level but it's about 1/3 the price too.

Barry Green has been very positive about the Vocas. He sold his Chroiszel and Cavision (at least I think he had a Cavision) and ended up with the Vocas, which he has been very satisfied with.

Lots of good choices. As you know, Zacuto pushes the Petroff boxes so I am sure that they are good as well.

But man, that Red Rock seems really sweet for very little $$$ if you can wait.

Best,

Dan

Regarding the Cinevate that you have, is the foam inserts used to adapt to lens solid and easy to setup. I bought a really cheap matte box that used a foam cut out piece to cover lens and it was almost impossible to get it around the lens without the other half coming out of matte box.

I have looked at the Red Rock and I am on the reservation list but I dont know if it will work well with my camera lens. Since the Red Rock has a swing open arm and there is almost no room on the right side of my lens. (Canon KJ20x8.5) When I look at the Red Rock I see that right side arm getting in the way of the "lens grip" (I dont know what its actually called) On the right side of lens body there is an attached grip that also has controls for zoom, iris, vtr, dip switches, etc.)

Ryan Avery December 31st, 2007 11:13 AM

I'll throw our Vocas imported Century Brand matte boxes into the ring for consideration. Made of the finest quality materials, these are a great choice. Really its either Chrosziel or Century (Vocas) for high quality matte boxes IMO.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm....aspx?CID=1390

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery December 31st, 2007 11:14 AM

Also, check these out for your shiny new matte box which ever way you go. These are the finest low cost filters available today.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm....aspx?CID=1431

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Darrin Altman December 31st, 2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Avery (Post 800461)
I'll throw our Vocas imported Century Brand matte boxes into the ring for consideration. Made of the finest quality materials, these are a great choice. Really its either Chrosziel or Century (Vocas) for high quality matte boxes IMO.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm....aspx?CID=1390

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

I was just looking at your web page. What kit would you suggest for me. I was looking at DVMB W/A KIT W/15MM CAMERA SUP.

Dan Brockett December 31st, 2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin Altman (Post 800293)
Regarding the Cinevate that you have, is the foam inserts used to adapt to lens solid and easy to setup. I bought a really cheap matte box that used a foam cut out piece to cover lens and it was almost impossible to get it around the lens without the other half coming out of matte box.

I have looked at the Red Rock and I am on the reservation list but I dont know if it will work well with my camera lens. Since the Red Rock has a swing open arm and there is almost no room on the right side of my lens. (Canon KJ20x8.5) When I look at the Red Rock I see that right side arm getting in the way of the "lens grip" (I dont know what its actually called) On the right side of lens body there is an attached grip that also has controls for zoom, iris, vtr, dip switches, etc.)

Hi Darrin:

You will be fine if your lens diameters are fairly small. The largest I have is only 58mm and the rubber donuts fit around the lenses perfectly. They do come with several sizes for smaller and larger diameters and one solid that you can cut out for your own custom size. But if you have really large diameter lenses, most of these smaller, lower cost units are not designed to interface with large diameter lenses.

Since you have a large diameter broadcast type of lens, not sure on your second question. Go straight to the horse's mouth and contact Brian Valente of Red Rock Micro, he can tell you for sure if it will work.

Best,

Dan

Dan Brockett December 31st, 2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Avery (Post 800463)
Also, check these out for your shiny new matte box which ever way you go. These are the finest low cost filters available today.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm....aspx?CID=1431

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Ryan:

I already have a circular pola and ND grads but I am interested in ND .06 solid and an ND .09 solid. Do you guys sell an ND .09 solid in this lineup?

Dan

Ryan Avery December 31st, 2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 800548)
Ryan:

I already have a circular pola and ND grads but I am interested in ND .06 solid and an ND .09 solid. Do you guys sell an ND .09 solid in this lineup?

Dan

Dan,

Sorry, we just have the ND .6. This set is meant to introduce people to Schneider Quality and for entry level HDV users. While ND.9 is entry level, a set is more likely to be used by more advanced folks such as yourself that know the differences. You can buy the ND.6 though at the stated price. An ND.9 will run you about $40-$60 more at most dealers. I believe both Abel Cine Tech and B&H have these in stock.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery December 31st, 2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin Altman (Post 800465)
I was just looking at your web page. What kit would you suggest for me. I was looking at DVMB W/A KIT W/15MM CAMERA SUP.

Darrin,

It depends on the camera you have. The one you listed is perfect for the Panasonic HVX200, HPX500, Sony Z1U, etc. If you have a camera with the Sony Toeplate on it then you will need the 0DS-MB44-JHD.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Robert Lane December 31st, 2007 05:58 PM

I've personally used the Century Optics setup for years; highly recommended especially for the price and because it's made of composite materials it doesn't warp in extreme heat.

There is another consideration, Petroff. Not as easy to get as C.O. or Chroziel but well worth the money and very logically designed.

Darrin Altman January 1st, 2008 01:17 AM

First off thank you to everyone for the great advice and info. I have been "playing" with video for many years and have had a lot of cameras but this is my first matte box purchase.

Whatever I decide to go with - any problems with keeping the matte box on camera at all times? I use a Pelican hard case so the lens is basically protected I am just wondering since I have always kept my lenses fully enclosed on all of the cameras I have had over the years with the original sunshade and cover.

Thanks again.

I am pretty sure I will either get the Chrosziel 41150 or the Century Optics DVMB.

Darrin

Robert Lane January 1st, 2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin Altman (Post 800711)
Whatever I decide to go with - any problems with keeping the matte box on camera at all times?

Not at all. Because the matte-box is actually mounted to the rail system and not the camera directly you won't be adding any stress to the camera body or lens itself.

Most people who are using MB's on fixed-lens cameras always leave the MB on the rails because there's no reason to remove it, and in fact Zacuto makes inserts for Pelican and other cases so that you can custom-fit the camera, rails and other hardware to just drop-in the case with MB attached.

If you were using a removable lens system then yes, the MB would always be removed because you wouldn't want to transport the camera with lens attached.

Darrin Altman January 1st, 2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 800810)
Not at all. Because the matte-box is actually mounted to the rail system and not the camera directly you won't be adding any stress to the camera body or lens itself.

Most people who are using MB's on fixed-lens cameras always leave the MB on the rails because there's no reason to remove it, and in fact Zacuto makes inserts for Pelican and other cases so that you can custom-fit the camera, rails and other hardware to just drop-in the case with MB attached.

If you were using a removable lens system then yes, the MB would always be removed because you wouldn't want to transport the camera with lens attached.

Hi Robert - Thanks for your comments. I wonder if you think I am making a mistake. My main camera that I am looking to buy the matte box for does have a removable lens. I only have one lens so I do not remove it ever. I have a Pelican case where I cut out foam so my camera, lens and follow focus all fit without having to remove anything. I saw the Panasonic branded Pelican case and its the same Pelican 1650 case I have. The only difference I saw was the Panasonic branded had nicer cut foam then I did myself.

Would you say I am looking for trouble by transporting camera with lens attached?

Darrin