Has anyone tested a SD lens on the HPX500? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Hey buddy,
I use PC/Windows and currently edit with Vegas, but will probably be switching to Edius or Speededit for editing Natively to P2. We plan to shoot 1080 24p or 30p for most projects. You can encode in whichever format you like.

Thanks
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
Hey buddy,
I use PC/Windows and currently edit with Vegas, but will probably be switching to Edius or Speededit for editing Natively to P2. We plan to shoot 1080 24p or 30p for most projects. You can encode in whichever format you like.

Thanks
Kit
Good, I will do 24p. Just wondering what format is going to be good to give you because I'm with Mac. Full size H.264 be feasible enough?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
Good, I will do 24p. Just wondering what format is going to be good to give you because I'm with Mac. Full size H.264 be feasible enough?
Shouldn't be a problem. I have quicktime pro and have never had a problem playing H.264 files before, so it should work out great.
Thanks!
Kit
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Major Player

And for everyone else, if you guys have anything to contribute, please feel free to jump right in
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Trustee

Gawd, rained out this morning.

Here's the quick clip that I shot yesterday. Nothing fabulous though.

But I think broadcast SD lens works really well.

http://www.onebikeguy.com/KakugyoBlo...h_sd_lens.html
(The large file is taking long time to upload, so please visit again later for the 1080 file)
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Seriously looks fantastic! That's awesome. What's funny is that I hear all these people saying "don't use a SD lens, you'll get terrible results". I say it's all a BS marketing scheme to sell the HD lenses. If they really didn't want anyone using SD lenses, why did they keep the same mount? Nobody has posted any footage to make me think that this method would yeild bad results. And the uprezed chips of the 500/555 look awesome too. I don't care how they do it, it looks great! I'll check that 1080 video later. Thank you soooo very much, Kaku.

Just a quick question though - What lens did you use? If you could let me know the exact model number, I would appreciate it.

WOW. I'm freakin excited. Now I can afford so many more cameras it's not even funny.
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #22
Trustee

Here's the lens.

http://www.onebikeguy.com/KakugyoBlo...cast_Lens.html

This lens is the really classic one. But it is actually really souped up by Mr. Sekiguchi from Appex, the Canon broadcast lens dealer.

iWeb is having problem posting the large file, but it seems you already see the potential.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #23
Major Player

Yeah, and you can pick those up on Ebay and used places for less than $100. Very cool.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #24
Major Player

By the way Kaku, I went ahead and posted your video over at the DVXuserforums because we have a good discussion going over there too..
Thanks!
Kit
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #25
Trustee

np.

I'm still having problem posting the large file.
Now I zipped it and uploading but not sure it's going to work.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #26
Trustee

Kit,

I had to upload the whole sites in the iWeb to make the file work but it is now completed.
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #27
Go Go Godzilla

Kit,

Keep in mind the kit lenses that were offered with the camera with CAC were specifically designed for the 500 both optically and electronically. And while a high-quality SD-broadcast lens will work nicely with the 500 you'll get superior results using the CAC lenses designed for the 500.

I don't think it's on this forum anymore, but just before the 500 was released I posted a sample of the Canon CAC lens showing the CAC control on and off; there was a significant difference in CA reduction and looked *almost* as good as an HD-spec lens. That same Canon lens was later used for a commercial shoot where we used it's amazing Macro capabilities as well as it's wide-angle performance. An amazing lens for the price - can't remember the model number of the lens but it was the more expensive Canon.

Using one of the SD-lenses on the 500 is sort of like using manual-focus Nikkors on an auto-focus Nikon; it will work but it's not always going to give you the best results.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Robert.

If you have been following some of my posts and comments regarding the 500, bith ere and at the dvxuser forums, there is very compelling evidence that the SD lenses look almost as good as the HD lenses. Some have said that certain lenses look better! But the whole point of the posts are that SD lenses can be acceptable. When you are doing a side by side comparison, of course you're going to see a difference, but to me anyways, looking at a SD lens without comparing it side by side to a better lens looks great.

To get into an ENG type camera package for just over $11,000, with body, lens, batteries and a P2 card is very promising as nothing else even comes close without buying a used camera. But even then, it's hard to find.

Yes, the kit lenses are designed for the camera, but they start at $6500. If you don't have the money for that, you can get a nice lens for less than $500 and save $6000 and it doesn't appear that the jump in price versus the quality increase is worth it.

BTW, thanks for the link to the Edius...I may just take you up on that in the next few days...

Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders