Is this the answer from Panasonic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this the answer from Panasonic?

Hello, i searched pictures of the Sony PMW-EX1 and than i found this pictures.
The lower picture indicates a HVX200 successor?, an AVC-HD cam?

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=it&ie=UTF-8
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

That photo came from the InterBEE trade show in Japan. Like every other manufacturer, Panasonic has a habit of displaying various "concept" cameras that never go beyond the mock-up stage, and since this could be one of them, there's no way to say if it is "the answer" from Panasonic or not.

Our own Kaku Ito saw this mock-up and wrote about it here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=106014&page=3

And posted a photo of it here:

http://www.onebikeguy.com/KakugyoBlo...Photos.html#11

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Trustee

The mockup is for lower level market, not equivalent to HVX market.

I heard that Pana was going to show updated HVX at InterBEE at that point, but learnt the pros of EX1 and decided to pull out to show.

Also, I got the SD9, and I can now see how prosumer AVCHD cam is going to be like.

At this point, it is not really intuitive to handle 24p material from AVCHD into FCP environment.
It is possible, just like how you adopt the 24p material from HV20/30, you have to capture 60i and process to remove the pulldown frames (capturing into FCP works better than transfer at this moment for 24p stuff). I wonder how much of that Panasonic and Apple would fix/develope in the future.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post

I heard that Pana was going to show updated HVX at InterBEE at that point, but learnt the pros of EX1 and decided to pull out to show.
Feels right. I heard from a reliable source ( no one likes to read this words, I know, but I just can't tell) that the updated HVX would be shown at that show. According to this source, the new specs weren't that impressive (but an upgrade to the current model, anyhow)

Its good to see that market competition is pushing for better products to come to market. In that way, I thank Sony for pushing Panasonic into rethinking their HVX upgrade.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Trustee

I hope they don't go to CMOS route or something unless they come out with some kind of breakthrough. Pana as good lens and processor like Canon (like G1) that is all.

Is 2/3CCD in handheld type possible considering the size and all? Because I'm really satisfied with HXP555.
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
I hope they don't go to CMOS route or something unless they come out with some kind of breakthrough. Pana as good lens and processor like Canon (like G1) that is all.

Is 2/3CCD in handheld type possible considering the size and all? Because I'm really satisfied with HXP555.
I do believe it is possible. In the still camera world, panasonic used a 2/3 CCD in a Point and Shoot a few years ago called the Panasonic LC1 (Or leica Digilux 2, rebranded but same camera). If one 2/3 fits in such a small lens+camera design, than 2/3 x3 with a fixed lens in an HVX sized body seems possible.

Of course, I'm comparing a still camera vs a moving picture camera, but, hey, it makes sense, doesn't it?

Speculating again,I am antecipating a 1280x720 resolution pixel shifted to 1080p 2/3 ccd's x3 fixed lens successor to the HVX priced at 7999. My whish is for it to have AVC-Intra 100, but I predict it will have both dvcpro HD and avc-Intra 50 codecs, as well as avchd. It will have HD-SDI Out, and variable frame rates. The question lies on 1080pn recording- I believe it will have it, but in avc-intra 10 bit 4:2:0. (avcintra 50, in other words.)

This camera would feel just about right. Doesn't step much into the HPX 500 toes, with its fixed lens and not significant resolution jump, and would be able to challenge the Sony EX in perceived resolution (looks to the eye), as well as improve on the encoded footage with AVC-Intra 50 (But would LOVE- do you hear me panasonic?- LOVE to see AVC-Intra 100 on the small cam), as well as avoid the rolling shutter issues CMOS is presenting and be good in low light conditions. It would be competitive. Of course if it was 1440x1080 2/3 native CCD's pixel shifted to 1920x1080 we would have an absolutely fantastic, EX beating camera, but that would require using the HDX900 ccd's, for example, and would probably mean making the HPX buyers a little bit upset with their 20 000 dollar purchase. (except for the interchangeable lenses options, of course). Going 1440x1080 ccd's would be a market leading move by Panasonic, no doubt. But it would also mean an HPX upgrade to establish the gap again. Remember,this is all speculation from my part, so everyone please Take this with a grain of salt!

Sincerely, I don't see Panasonic going the CMOS route- not seeing from what they are introducing with both low end and high end cameras from both consumer and professional divisions...
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Panasonic Broadcast

Quote:
Hi Kaku-san,

There is absolutely not truth to this at all. Panasonic was never, I repeat never going to show any upgraded HVX200 at the Interbee show. The EX1 is not a scary product, it is just another product that is an island in the midst of Sony formats.

Best,

Jan
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

As always, Jan, many thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to seeing you at NAB,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston View Post
Hi Kaku-san,

There is absolutely not truth to this at all. Panasonic was never, I repeat never going to show any upgraded HVX200 at the Interbee show. The EX1 is not a scary product, it is just another product that is an island in the midst of Sony formats.

Best,

Jan
Jan,

Unfortunately, most people didn't think so at the show.
Many people had come to me and told me that I was too early to decide to buy my HPX. Of course I didn't think so and more so now, I don't think so.

I just feel that Panasonic needed some announcements to make us feel confident to continue using P2HD rigs.

By the way, I love what you did with HPM110. HPX3000 picture look awesome, too, so I'm recommending my fellow filmmaker to use that for the next film. I hope I get little more recognition from Pana Japan for what I'm doing though.
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
I just feel that Panasonic needed some announcements to make us feel confident to continue using P2HD rigs.
Curious -- what more announcements would they need to make? Announcements like a $48,000 HPX3000 using P2? Or announcements like 80% of tapeless broadcast sales worldwide are going P2? Or that they've moved every camera in their broadcast line (except the VariCam) over to P2? And that the VariCam will go P2, sometime in the next 10 to 16 months?

All those announcements have been made already. If that doesn't show full-fledged in-depth commitment to the P2HD media, what else would?

How about an announcement that Fuji is starting to manufacture P2 cards? Would that do it? :)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Trustee

Something that go rival RED market, also, HVX level product that rival EX1 "market".
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #12
Trustee

To me, that mockup is just an HD version of the 100B. Since the Sanyo HD1000 has 1920x1080 60i and 1280x720 60p I don’t consider my prediction being farfetched by saying that this camcorder can easily have all of the AVCHD recording formats which includes 1920x1080 60i/30p/24p and 1280x720 60p/30p/24p.

I would also like to see Panasonic upgrade the HSC1U to include all those recording formats as well as a traditional focusing ring around the lens.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Something that go rival RED market, also, HVX level product that rival EX1 "market".
RED's Scarlet (probably 2K) could further change the game at the HVX level.

I'm looking forward to NAB...
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Lets just hope that Panasonic doesn't follow the rolling shutter CMOS route on the "new HVX". CCD's are still the way to go for the best picture, seeing what the top brands are using on their benchmark top of the line cameras (excluding RED), so while CMOS has evolved over the recent years, the technology is still not there to compare to CCD's.

Either its a revolutionary CMOS system that addresses rolling shutter issues, or at least larger, higher sensitivity CCD's to rival Sony's dinamic range/low light performance.
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #15
Major Player

1/2 CCDs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
Lets just hope that Panasonic doesn't follow the rolling shutter CMOS route on the "new HVX". CCD's are still the way to go for the best picture, seeing what the top brands are using on their benchmark top of the line cameras (excluding RED), so while CMOS has evolved over the recent years, the technology is still not there to compare to CCD's.

Either its a revolutionary CMOS system that addresses rolling shutter issues, or at least larger, higher sensitivity CCD's to rival Sony's dinamic range/low light performance.
Are the ticket and doable! I've got a 1/2 CCD JVC 500 which still puts out a great picture. It's SD of course, but none the less Panasonic would be best going with a larger censor!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders