DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   There's no Panasonic AVCHD thread, so..here's bit of HDC-SD9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/113974-theres-no-panasonic-avchd-thread-so-heres-bit-hdc-sd9.html)

Kaku Ito February 4th, 2008 07:32 PM

There's no Panasonic AVCHD thread, so..here's bit of HDC-SD9

http://www.onebikeguy.com/KakugyoBlo...t/Podcast.html

Jon Fairhurst February 4th, 2008 07:48 PM

Very nice! If that camera had an external mic input, it would be at the top of my list...

Kaku Ito February 4th, 2008 08:15 PM

Jon,

Oh, good, you find it, that saves me to post a reply to the other thread for you.

Jon Fairhurst February 5th, 2008 02:21 AM

Yes, I previously confirmed it with a friend of mine at Panasonic. The last consumer video camera from Panasonic with an external mic input is the GS500 (we have it). The GS500 will be discontinued in the US this month.

I agree that the low end consumer cameras do not need the external mic input, but I think it's required to compete with the HV30 for the crown of "best consumer camcorder". They got all of the other features (focus ring, zebras, 1080p24, access to manual controls, HDMI...) right.

Kaku Ito February 5th, 2008 06:04 AM

Jon,

No focus ring.

Jon Fairhurst February 5th, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito (Post 820528)
Jon,

No focus ring.

Really???

What does the moving ring do??? At CES it turned.

(The guy at CES told me that it had an external mic input - and a focus ring. They need to do better training.)

Kaku Ito February 5th, 2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 820678)
Really???

What does the moving ring do??? At CES it turned.

(The guy at CES told me that it had an external mic input - and a focus ring. They need to do better training.)

It does turn to get it off, that is all.

Jon Fairhurst February 5th, 2008 08:39 PM

In this case, the lack of a mic input is no big deal. The SD-9 isn't the camera that I thought it was...

I can't wait to learn about Scarlet. And then I might just get an HV30.

David Saraceno February 6th, 2008 12:43 PM

That shoots 1080/24p with pulldown?

And how did you ingest that into what to get a true 24p result?

Kaku Ito February 6th, 2008 01:21 PM

so far, what I did was to connect its component out to MOTU V3HD's HD component in and capture clips with DVCPRO HD format, then find the cadence then apply inverse telecine with Cinema Tools and it worked out.
I have to switch the field dominance depending on the clip but it's not so hard.

I also tried capturing using its HDMI out via Multibridge Eclipse with ProRes 422HQ format (so it captures at full raster) but this way, I'm not successful removing the pulldown, I tried every possible setting but some thing goes wrong.

Although it is with 3CCD, since the CCD's so small or because of being MEPG based, I have to be very subtle with camera action at 24p recording. So, in this case, I don't know which is better, CMOS or small 3CCD. I noticed the same kinda of artifacts on JVC's HD1 everio, too.

It is a great value to recommend it to someone starting to shoot video for sure, but probably not for the members. here.

I bought it for onboard purpose only, so I'm not regretting, but I wish the picture was little better in 24p mode.

By the way, combining with Brevis, it works fairly well, I had a lot easier time shooting without external display for focussing than HV20.

60i looks mostly fine, but for 24p, I have to look into HF10 and see how well it captures.

Anmol Mishra July 13th, 2015 11:47 AM

Re: There's no Panasonic AVCHD thread, so..here's bit of HDC-SD9

Kaku-san
Did you observe the motion artefacts even when you recorded via Motu HD ?
I thought the artefacts were due to AVCHD compression - are they due to pixel shift ?