$2900 Panasonic HVX-200?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:13 AM   #1
Major Player

$2900 Panasonic HVX-200?!

Alright, so my buddy and I have been perusing through cameras recently, and we've been keeping up with a couple of cameras to get in the future (crossing fingers). Then, my buddy ran across this craigslist posting here in Memphis:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/pho/612071412.html

I KNOW I'm not misreading that. This would sell for well over $12000 on b&h or anywhere reputable, correct? Is this common to see something like this? Of course I couldn't buy this, as I think one of two things happened:

1.) This camera is stolen (VERY likely in Memphis), and they think they can get more on CL than at a pawn shop (which I would think they'd hike the price up a little).

-or-

2.) This camera is stolen.

Apparently I have no faith in humanity. Has anyone else seen weird stuff like this? I mean, this is like a brooklyn shop in my backyard. Can this be reported at all? Seriously, no one in their RIGHT MIND would sell a barely used HVX200 for the price of a DVX100b. I feel for the guy or company that may be missing this.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
2.) This camera is stolen.
I once heard a saying that guides me in these kind of situations: If it sounds/looks too good to be true - it is. And that is exactly what is the case here. I'll bet that there is no camera at all, or, as you say, that it is stolen.

I would not even consider this - waay to fishy.

EDIT: On second note, that quote is from a scammer's program om the Discovery Channel - oh well, its true anyways!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Firestore
HVX200
Two - 4Gb cards

and more

for $2900?

I ain't going down a dark alley with $2900 in my pocket.

Contact the seller and ask for receipts for all the purchases.

Bet you won't get them
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
Firestore
HVX200
Two - 4Gb cards

and more

for $2900?

I ain't going down a dark alley with $2900 in my pocket.

Contact the seller and ask for receipts for all the purchases.

Bet you won't get them
Call Memphis PD. See if anyone's reported a stolen HVX200. I can't imagine there are tons of these out there, and even less get stolen.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

The other possibility is that there's no camera at all, and they're just phishing for some fool to show up with $2900 cash. Read Ketch Rossi's experience of getting tied up, beaten, and robbed in his home after trying to arrange a sale through Craigslist.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh wow! Where is that post?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Trustee

"Hi there,

Tis post is to advise everybody to be extremely carefull wen purchasing/selling items on Graigslist.

Unfortunatelly after many times using craigslist I was a victim of a home invasion.

I obviously know now not to trust anyone.. ever.

But also i fill like a complete Idiot, becaouse I let this guy in to my house, as I did many times before( not the same guy), but this time was the one that I will remember.

I was ordered at Gun point to get on the floor, insted I attaked the gunman tryng desperatelly to take the gun away fom Him, but after a very short fight as He pushed back hard my injured left knee let go and I felt on the floor and He shot me.

He then beaten me up and tied me up then beaten me up some more for unfo, then dragged me in to the closet and robbed me.

fortunatelly I,m here to right about it and fill more of an idiot becouse nott only I let the guy in to my house but I try to get the gun away knoing the my left knee is totally F...Up!

Among many items totally over $70,000.00 He toked:

Canon 1D mark 2n, Ef 15mm fisheye, Sigma 12-24mm, Ef 35mm 1.4L, Ef 50mm 1.2L, Emp 65mm macro, Ef 85mm 1.2L II, Ef 135mm 2.8L, Ef 200mm 2.0L II, Ef 400mm 2.8L, G3 lansebaby set up, 17" Macbook G4.

So this are some of the items easy to sale so be alert if buyng, do not do so with out prove of purchase, and please let be omly me the Idiot to pay the price and do not absolutelly let any one in your home and be carefull wen in public places as I was told that they also take guns there not to pay for the items.

KETCH ROSSI"
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Buying something from Ebay is dicey enough even with all the supposed "buyer protections" built-in. Craigslist is a total crap-shoot; you might as well be dealing on a street-corner.

My advice to anyone who needs equipment but can't afford the what the real stuff costs: Rent it or, get an equipment lease.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Kevin,

That is such a horrible experience. I am sorry to hear that.

I would NEVER let anyone in my house period! While I believe that most people are good and honest, there are just too many that are not. If someone is local, meet them in a public place to make the exchange.

I have only once bought something off CL, It went very well. I made the guy open a PayPal Account and I sent the money there, using my credit card through my paypal account. I received my goods as promised.

eBay has many more mechanisms in place to keep people honest, but beware, read the help files on scams. There are many there too.

As mentioned earlier in this thread: "If it sounds too good to be true" Chances are its a scam. I like the suggestion: have them produce receipts. That might be a first step.

Good luck,
G
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Trustee

That wasn't me. I was just quoting Ketch about his experience.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
My advice to anyone who needs equipment but can't afford the what the real stuff costs: Rent it or, get an equipment lease.
Great advice Robert.

I rented an HVX having never handled it before, and I had a successful experience on day 1. The key was to download and read the manual in detail, as well as to know exactly what I wanted to achieve and how I was going to achieve it.

With the HVX (and the RED for that matter), there is the additional challenge of the workflow. I made sure to read up on it, pre-load everything on my laptop, and do a test shoot/edit before leaving the rental house.

Looking back, the only shortcoming was that I didn't nail the focus as well as I might have on a couple of shots. Don't be lazy - *always* use focus assist when you can. And if you're doing pans, get the best head that you can get - some of our diagonal moves were a bit sticky.

You can rent an HVX about 20 times and still be ahead. That said, if you buy a new one, use it 20 times, keep it in great condition and sell it on ebay when you're done, you have a downpayment for the next camera - if you can raise the initial cash.

And, yeah, avoid deals that are too good to be true...
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Update

I was curious to see how EAGER this person was to sell the camera, so I asked if he'd part with it for $2500 (not actually planning to buy it), and he said the lowest he could part with it was $2750 (which blows me away even more). Then he told me that he has already dropped it off at http://www.i-soldit.com/index.asp. Can it actually be real? Someone may end up with the deal of a lifetime.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

This sounds like the same guy who posted on the Birmingham CL a couple months back. He says it's at the ebay broker but you CAN'T go pick it up. He says that because it's with the broker that you will get the camera before he is paid. Liar. Ask him if he is still on his honeymoon in Hawaii.

Also check your email headers. He uses a "yahoo" account but the message is forwarded via an AOL IP address. He doesn't want to use the AOL email.

110% SCAMMER!
Andy Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM   #14
Major Player

HE IS ON HIS HONEYMOON!!! Ha ha ha! Good call! Oh man, that's crazy!!
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I emailed him too. He replied with the same line about being on honeymoon and his mother having a problem forcing him to sell. Funny that he didn't recognize my email address or name. Can he be that stupid? It's only been a couple months since we did this... I'm gonna act like I am going to send money to see how he wants to work it. Also gonna see if there is any way to trap and bust the jack azz. he answered the email at 04:18 this morning so chances are that he's not in the US.
Andy Mace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders