Panasonic AG-HPX 170 - Official Press Release - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #31
Major Player

Before we purchased the HVX200, we had a Z1U.

The HVX200 LCD/viewfinder is substantially poorer.

I don't get it.

Without proper focus, which is a challenge with HD, you got nothing.

I had to reshoot footage last week. With all the investments, a better LCD seems to be a priority.

All the current configuration does is cheapen Panasonic's image.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse View Post
While I completely agree that the lack of an upgraded LCD is a serious oversight on Panasonic's part when it comes to the new HPX170, I think it's a bit of a jump to say that Panasonic isn't listening to their customers.

Every single one of the features on the 170 that have been added from the 200 is something that users have asked for. All in all there are about 15 or so new small additions I have to believe were done because users specifically asked for them as improvements over the 200 design.

Improved light sensitivity
Increased S/N ratio
HD/SD- SDI output
Increaded Frame rate choices
Frame rate changes mapped to user buttons
LCD Flip option
6-pin FireWire port
Last Clip Delete button
PAL/NTSC switchable option
3 types of focus assist (addition of 2 new focus functions)
Focus Assist toggle On/Off as opposed to timed
Focus ring can be toggled to control Iris
No DV Tape Deck, making for a lighter smaller camera.
Additional built in ND filter position
Playback of all clips regardless of format/framerate

So granted, each of those things in and of themselves may not be large, but as a package I think it makes for a much nicer camera overall. Sure, it's not a revolutionary upgrade, but it is a significantly improved and streamlined HVX. And, more to my point, I think it shows that they are listening to the customers and taking the feedback they've gotten on the HVX seriously.

On top of the small tweaks that were done - there are a couple of (what I would call) 'big' additions - namely the HD-SDI output and the addition on an on camera waveform and vectorscope. The waveform specifically is something that I at least have wanted to see included on these smaller cameras for a long time.

So yeah, I would have loved to have seen a new LCD and EVF.
That would have seriously bumped this camera up in value quite a bit.
But - let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
I think the 170 is going to prove to be a great tool for a lot of people.

I got a chance to play with both cams at NAB I tried putting a card in the prototype to get some footage but the iris control was broken on the cam. The Panasonic Rep said the low light is going to be a 1/2 stop better. Very light weight almost 1/2 of my Z7u, No over or under cranking. I was ready to purchase one of these cams. I own the EX1 and Z7u but after seeing it in person I don't think so. It looks like they took the HVX and shrank it down same low res 4:3 LCD. The low light and the LCD was a breaking point for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonic AG-HPX 170 - Official Press Release-p1.jpg   Panasonic AG-HPX 170 - Official Press Release-p2.jpg  

Panasonic AG-HPX 170 - Official Press Release-p3.jpg  
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #33
Major Player

Brian:

Did I understand your post to say that the 170 doesn't have over or undercranking?
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #34
Major Player

I think he is wrong. As far as I know, and from what I have read, the HPX-170 has the same framerate options as the HVX-200(a).
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #35
Major Player

[QUOTE=Floris van Eck;863448]I think he is wrong. As far as I know, and from what I have read, the HPX-170 has the same framerate options as the HVX-200(a).[/QUOTE

Correct me if I am wrong, I talk to one of the Panasonic Reps at NAB. He said it was not possible with this cam. But if can do the under and over cranking I may re-think my decision on purchasing one.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #36
Major Player

Actually, I believe you are incorrect.

The 170 is basically the hvx200 without the tape drive. p2 cards were designed to provide VFR and under/over cranking.
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #37
Go Go Godzilla

[QUOTE=Brian Rhodes;863457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
I think he is wrong. As far as I know, and from what I have read, the HPX-170 has the same framerate options as the HVX-200(a).[/QUOTE

Correct me if I am wrong, I talk to one of the Panasonic Reps at NAB. He said it was not possible with this cam. But if can do the under and over cranking I may re-think my decision on purchasing one.
Brian,

If you read the original post on this thread which contains the press release, the HPX170 absolutely *does* VFR in 720 mode, just like the 200/200A.

The HPX170 is in fact the HVX200A minus the tape drive and a few other changes.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #38
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Sounds like you were looking at the HMC150 instead of the HPX170. The 150 is very similar but has no variable frame rates and records to AVC-HD. The HPX170 has all the capabilities of the 150 and all the capabilities of the 200A, plus a whole lot more (including 20 different frame rate options).
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #39
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
The HPX170 is in fact the HVX200A minus the tape drive and a few other changes.
A few other changes which, at last count, was about 28 that we've identified so far. It's dramatically improved in many ways, including being a pound and a half lighter (1.5 pounds lighter! Way, way better for handheld use, very ergonomic, blows the EX1 and HVX200A away for handheld work.) It closes the gap or even matches the EX1 in low light performance (sensitivity and noise and smear performance). It's got a wider angle lens, waveform monitor, vectorscope, LCD flip for 35mm adapters, locking six-pin firewire port, frame rate +/- buttons, delete last clip button, twice as many variable frame rates, two more focus assist options, a time/date stamp for legal videographers, a five-year warranty, and a lower price tag. And about a dozen other changes I can't remember right now. And that's all we know about so far -- there might be lots more goodies under the hood that we haven't even heard about yet! The unit that they had on display didn't have its menus enabled so we didn't get a chance to see what else it might be capable of; all we can really be sure of is what physical characteristics we could see.

Do we wish it had a better LCD? Of course -- I screamed at so many Panasonic engineers from the Japanese factory that I'm sure there were some bleeding eardrums by the time I got through. Trust me, they very well know that we want a better LCD. But consider that they're putting this same LCD on the HPX500... and the HPX2000... and the HPX3000... and it's unlikely that we're getting a better LCD on the HPX170. But, there's still five or six months between now and when it actually gets released, so we'll see whether they're able to substitute a better panel by the time it comes out.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #40
Regular Crew

1080p Capable?

Excuse the ignorance, but does this mean that the HPX-170 can shoot 1080p to card?
as opposed to the current HVX-200 not being able to?
thanks, Mick
Mick Wilcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #41
Regular Crew

1080p

Hi,
would anyone have the information to confirm that this new cam can shoot 1080p to card?
Or, is it 1080p capable via HD-SDI to component? thanks alot in advance.
Mick Wilcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #42
Barry Wan Kenobi

All Panasonic HD P2 camcorders (including the HVX200) shoot 1080P to the P2 cards. And always have.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders