DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy? (HVX-200A replaced by HPX-170?) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/122182-buy-not-buy-hvx-200a-replaced-hpx-170-a.html)

Jason McGovern May 22nd, 2008 10:08 AM

To buy or not to buy? (HVX-200A replaced by HPX-170?)

Looking at the reviews for the AG_HVX200 on BH:

"This camera is being sold with a [$]rebate and a free 16GB P2 card because Panasonic are trying to offload old stock which has been replaced by the HVX-200A and will shortly be totally replaced by the HPX-170."

Any thoughts on this? We're looking for a nice HD camera and from what I've seen shooting 720p24 a couple of times - this is the camera for me. I just have to justify the P2 investment. I've shot with some JVC's and can't stand the HDV format. I use Premiere - is CS3's P2 support good/better than the HDV?

Any other cameras comparable quality-wise? The only thing that bothers me is that it's not shoulder mounted - but I can live with it.

Thanks

Brad Neal May 24th, 2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McGovern (Post 881608)

"This camera is being sold with a [$]rebate and a free 16GB P2 card because Panasonic are trying to offload old stock which has been replaced by the HVX-200A and will shortly be totally replaced by the HPX-170."

Hi Jason,
I have heard nothing about the 170 totally replacing the 200. Where did that information come from?

Nonetheless, we were considering the same purchase - that being the 200 to compliment our 500's with a hand-held solution. But we have no use for tape, so I am holding out until the 170 is shipping. The 170 also has HD-SDI, which makes the 170 even more attractive.

Quote:

Any thoughts on this? We're looking for a nice HD camera and from what I've seen shooting 720p24 a couple of times - this is the camera for me. I just have to justify the P2 investment. I've shot with some JVC's and can't stand the HDV format. I use Premiere - is CS3's P2 support good/better than the HDV?

Thanks
PPro CS3 supports native P2. It doesn't get much better than that. Never used HDV, so I can't comment on that.

Best,
Brad

Dan Brockett May 24th, 2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McGovern (Post 881608)

Any other cameras comparable quality-wise? The only thing that bothers me is that it's not shoulder mounted - but I can live with it.

Thanks

Jan Crittenden, the Panasonic product manager for both cameras seemed to indicate that both will be available. I don't think that the HVX-200A will be replaced or go away anytime soon, there are still a lot of people in the NSTC world out there who need tape. Being able to shoot HD, archive the HD and layoff to DV is the best of both worlds.

Dan

Robert Lane May 24th, 2008 09:59 PM

Dan is correct; no manufacturer would introduce a new product along *with* it's intended replacement at the same time.

Too many people still shoot DV and/or want to lay-off to tape for various reasons while still capturing HD on the cards. The 200A is going to be around for some time and will not be replaced by the 170; the two will compliment each other in the line-up with slightly differing target markets.