NEED ADVICE RE: HVX200 - P2 - G4 - G5 - SATA Drive - FCP 5.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NEED ADVICE RE: HVX200 - P2 - G4 - G5 - SATA Drive - FCP 5.0

Hello everyone -

I have an HVX200 - that has not had a driver update (Oct 2006)

I have a 17 inch Mac PB G4 - 1.67 GHZ/ 2GB SDRAM running OSX 10.4.11

I have 3 8G P2 cards - No updates on these (do they update???)

I have a Mac Desktop Dual G5 - 1.8GHZ/ 2.25 SDRAM running OSX 10.4.6
(will update to 10.4.11)

I have a 500GB Seagate SATA external drive that hooks to the desk computer SATA port only.

Now thats what I have...

What I was planning on doing...

I want to capture to the P2 cards, then mount them into the G4 laptop - save in memory, then take the laptop home at night and transfer the footage by connecting the laptop to the G5 desktop via ethernet cable (which one should be the server?) and transfer the files into "drop boxes". Once the file is found in the desktop computer, transfer it into the 500GB Seagate SATA drive and then import and open it in Final Cut Pro 5.0.

Now if I am reinventing the wheel I would appreciate some guidance - because as I do the above the FCP window pops up and tells me that the file is corrupt. I can see the clips in the import window, but it wont let me have access. What am I doing wrong - (what am I doing right?)

I have read the forums and employed Mr. Robert Lanes advice on disabling the features on my laptop per his suggestions (other than the file sharing) but I am lost after this - Any ideas or suggestions out there?

Thanks R. L. Appling
R. L. Appling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

R.L.

Unfortunately FCP5 is *not* compatible with P2 MXF files at all. You'd need to either purchase P2Log Pro to convert the files to DVCPRO-HD Quicktimes or get FCS2 which is fully compatible. FCP5.1 the mid-life update did have the "Log and Transfer" option however since FCP6 is now current that ".1" update for version 5 is no longer around.

And unless your 100% comfortable and understand how to update the camera firmware I'd suggest sending into the dealer you bought it from and get the updates or, send it into Panny service directly.

If you really intend to use the HVX for all it's worth then you'd at a minimum need to update your version of FCS to get all the tools you'll need to really work with the camera. And a last word of advice: don't simply update your copy of FCP5 to version six, do a *clean install* of both the OS and your apps. You'll avoid the endless problems that occur when making a massive change to a very deep application like FCP. It would also be a good time to get your OS updated to 10.5 since many of the newer features of FCP6 don't work unless you have OSX 10.5.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Trustee

I just use Raylight now and don't even bother with trying to import into FCP6.

Save an awful lot of hard drive space and time by not having to import via FCP
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I can send the camera to panny NP, but rebuy another FCP? When I got the program initially the camera was only 6 months old. They NEVER were compatible?

So if I understand what you have written - If I buy the update and reload that leads to problems - so by clean install I take it to mean buy the software again? Sounds like piracy on the high seas. Is that the only dependable solution to the problem?

What is the "Raylight/" will that work, and if so how? I want to capture 24pN, (and the direct to DVD solution Barry Green mentioned - HDPRO?)

I guess I would never make a good multitasking flight controller because this stuff makes my head spin. (what ever happened to "user friendly?) LOL!

Seriously - thanks for the help. :)
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. L. Appling View Post
... but rebuy another FCP?
No, just purchase the upgrade, like everybody else.

You should fully expect to upgrade the software on a regular basis.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Trustee

You can download the demo of Raylight to see how it works.
Basically it just makes a small say 4k proxy file of your MXF files and you just import them into FCP like a regular QuickTime file.

What I like about Raylight is that it saves so much hard drive space.
If I have a 1gig MXF file, to import it into FCP6 it basically makes another copy of the MXF file in a QuickTime wrapper.
So now I have another 1gig file on my hard drive.
With Raylight it makes a 4k proxy file so I still only have about 1gig of hard drive space used up.

Until FCP supports MXF on timeline, Raylight is the only way I fly.
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
R.L.

Unfortunately FCP5 is *not* compatible with P2 MXF files at all. You'd need to either purchase P2Log Pro to convert the files to DVCPRO-HD Quicktimes or get FCS2 which is fully compatible.
This isn't a correct statement, or at least a complete statement.

FCP 5.0.4 was compatible with the HVX200 and p2 cards.

http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/L317074A_FCP_Wkflw.pdf
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
No, just purchase the upgrade, like everybody else.

You should fully expect to upgrade the software on a regular basis.
To clarify further what Chris is saying: The *upgrade* version of FCP is in fact a full-version of the program but the cost is significantly reduced because you already own a full version. The actual process of installing the application still requires that you do a clean-install as described earlier.

To David's point: it's been so long since I've even dealt with a ver. 5 system I forgot all about the ".0.4" version but, since FCP5 in any version isn't being supported by Apple any longer getting RL up-to-date is prudent.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Major Player

I agree.

And I doubt that 5.0.4 is available for download, but it did support the p2 cards with import "p2 volume" I believe
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris - and to everyone else who responded - I will order the update post haste. Should I upgrade to the newest OSX operating system as well while I am at it? - sounds reasonable.

So it sounds like I should expect to spent $700 a year on updates. Hmmm. Oh well - who needs to eat when I have my camera to sustain me! Eating is overrated anyway. ;)
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. L. Appling View Post
So it sounds like I should expect to spent $700 a year on updates.
No it does not. That is an unreasonable expectation.

The major FCP upgrades tend to happen on a two-year cycle, and cost only a couple hundred dollars as long as you have the most recent version.

I don't understand the complaint about the cost. Final Cut is a business tool. It should not only pay for itself and its upgrades, but it should also be putting food on your table and money in your pocket as well. If that's not happening, then something is wrong with your business model.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders