DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Press Release: Panasonic Announces AG-HPX170 Pricing and Availability (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/127500-press-release-panasonic-announces-ag-hpx170-pricing-availability.html)

Chris Hurd August 6th, 2008 06:34 AM

Press Release: Panasonic Announces AG-HPX170 Pricing and Availability

2 Attachment(s)
PANASONIC ANNOUNCES AVAILABITY AND PRICING FOR NEW
AG-HPX170 FULLY SOLID-STATE P2 HD HANDHELD CAMCORDER

** New Lightweight P2 HD Handheld Offers 20 HD/SD Record Formats, 20-Step
Variable Frame Rates, Widest Zoom Lens, HD-SDI Output and 5-year Warranty **

SECAUCUS, NJ (August 6, 2008) – Panasonic Broadcast today announced that its new AG-HPX170 fully solid-state P2 HD handheld camcorder will be available in late September at a suggested list price of $5,695, which includes a 16GB P2 card in the box along with The HVX and HPX Book by Barry Green. Building on the AG-HVX200’s phenomenal success, the HPX170 features high definition and standard definition recording, the widest zoom lens in its class, and an HD-SDI interface for connection to baseband production and distribution infrastructure, all in a lightweight 4.2-pound body.

Fully solid-state, the two-slot HPX170 is an ultra-mobile HD/SD camcorder that offers the compelling advantages of P2 technology including: no moving parts, unlike tape, hard disk drive, or disc-based systems; instant random access to recorded HD or SD content; a faster IT compatible file-based workflow; and the ability to operate in harsh environments with resistance to temperature extremes, shock and vibration.

Providing exceptional, independent-frame compression in 20 HD and SD formats, the HPX170 records in a variety of 1080i/1080p and 720p formats in DVCPRO HD, 480i in DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO, and 480i in DV. It is switchable between 16:9/4:3 aspect ratios.

The HPX170’s 1/3” progressive 16:9 3-CCD imager offers an excellent signal-to-noise ratio, lower noise and smear and better low-light performance. Its digital signal processor with 14-bit A/D conversion and 19-bit processing assures high-quality recordings necessary for broadcast and top-level production. Because the HPX170 scans the initial image at a native 1080p/60, images maintain the highest quality possible across conversions.

For shooting versatility, the compact P2 HD handheld comes with a wide 3.9mm – 51mm (equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm lens) 13X Leica Dicomar zoom lens (the widest in its class). Precise zoom and focus operation is assured with features like a cam-driven manual zoom ring, 10X digital zoom, manual focus ring and aperture control, as well as valuable HD focus assist functions including histogram, 2X center blow-up and a Focus Bar. It also has built-in waveform and vectorscope display features. The camera’s Dynamic Range Stretch (DRS), as a 60p/60i feature, automatically suppresses blown highlights and dark shadows. In addition, an Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) function automatically corrects blurring so images remain crisp and sharp.

For the ultimate creative flexibility, the HPX170 offers an expanded 20-step frame rate selection in 720p mode for variable-speed shooting in the 12fps to 60fps range to acquire fast- or slow-motion in-camera effects. Professionals can select from six advanced gamma modes including CineGammaTM, which produces the warm tones characteristic of film recordings.

The HPX170 has two P2 card slots, so users can record up to 64 continuous minutes of the highest quality DVCPRO HD recording using currently available 32GB P2 cards. Record times will double with the release of Panasonic’s 64GB P2 card in the fall. Other user-friendly recording modes offered are hot swapping for non-stop recording, loop record, pre-record, interval and one-shot recording. New functions have been added to the User buttons including last-clip delete, Pre-Record, and the variable frame rates can be toggled through. A time/date stamp function makes the camcorder ideal for use in law enforcement and legal environments. An enhanced metadata input features a software keyboard to add key data about the shooting environment.

The HPX170 records four channels of uncompressed, 16-bit digital audio for superb audio performance.

It is equipped with an HD/SD-SDI output standard for live feed productions as well as for editing and monitoring. It also has a 6-pin locking IEEE 1394 interface and an USB 2.0 interface for fast P2 content transfer into NLE systems, and offers a composite output, component output (mini D-terminal.) The camera also features a built-in stereo microphone and two-channel XLR audio input terminals supporting 48V phantom power supply and is switchable between mic and line. Manual audio level volume is offered on two of the channels.

Other convenient operational features include SMPTE time generator/reader, clip preview on the camera’s 3.5” color LCD monitor, instant recording startup, shot marker, text memo, six pre-set scene files, the ability to load new settings into the camera via an SD card slot, three assignable user buttons, and remote control of zoom, rec, focus and iris.

The AG-HPX170 is backed by Panasonic’s five-year limited P2 HD warranty.* This warranty is unprecedented in cameras at this level.

About P2 HD

P2 HD all solid-state products offer high-definition recording without the mechanical wear and environmental limitations of tape, hard disk, and optical disc based systems. P2 HD ensures the highest reliability, especially in challenging conditions of extreme temperature range, shock, and vibration. P2 HD products provide a significant reduction in maintenance costs, longer useful product life, and immediate access to recorded video (no need to digitize, ingest or create proxy video files) and metadata. P2 HD provides the reliability of solid-state production; the immediate connectivity to existing IT infrastructures; the speed, ease of use and portability of P2 cards; and interoperability with leading NLE systems.

About Panasonic Broadcast

Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Co. is a leading supplier of broadcast and professional video products and systems. Panasonic Broadcast is a unit company of Panasonic Corporation of North America. The company is the North American headquarters of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (NYSE: MC) of Japan, and the hub of its U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. For more information on Panasonic Broadcast products, access the company’s web site at www.panasonic.com/broadcast.

*To lower total ownership costs, Panasonic offers a five-year limited warranty (Panasonic Broadcast’s normal 1-year basic warranty plus an extended warranty for years two through five upon product registration).

Kevin Railsback August 6th, 2008 03:36 PM

So, street price will be about...?

Paul Izbicki August 6th, 2008 10:50 PM

Seeking tech info

Does anyone know where Panasonic has published any data related to the Dynamic Range Stretch feature on the HVX170? Or about it's Gamma adjustments?

Farishad Latjuba August 7th, 2008 03:20 AM

What about PAL Version?

Tom Klein August 7th, 2008 05:18 AM

Hi guys,

with a suggested list price of $5,695, (will most likely sell for $5k or less) this camera would be better value for me to buy as a P2 card reader/player/back-up cam, rather than the 5 card AJ-PCD20 pana reader.
I can't see how they can pricepoint a camera with all these features and have 2 x P2 card reader slots to boot for not much more than their "one function" dedicated card reader box.

cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Jim Martin August 7th, 2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farishad Latjuba (Post 917561)
What about PAL Version?

After you register your 170 camera for the additional 4 year (total of 5yrs) warranty, you then can go and get, according to the release, a free PAL upgrade.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc

Jason Ramsey August 7th, 2008 12:56 PM

$5,195 from at least one of your site sponsors.

Later,
Jason

Jason Ramsey August 7th, 2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 917759)
After you register your 170 camera for the additional 4 year (total of 5yrs) warranty, you then can go and get, according to the release, a free PAL upgrade.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc

Hey, can you point me to where you are seeing this? I'm not finding it and pal/ntsc switchability is something many of us have been pushing for

Jim Martin August 7th, 2008 01:37 PM

It was on the dealer press release to us. Sorry, can't post it, but it says after you register, you then can contact Panasonic service to get your camera updated.

Jim Martin

ps- It's on our web site....www.birnsandsawyer.com

Jason Ramsey August 7th, 2008 02:47 PM

ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

later,
Jason

Jan Crittenden Livingston August 8th, 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 917841)
It was on the dealer press release to us. Sorry, can't post it, but it says after you register, you then can contact Panasonic service to get your camera updated.

Jim Martin

ps- It's on our web site....www.birnsandsawyer.com

Thanks Jim for spreading the word. Yes, in the US, we will upgrade the HPX170, but only after it has been registered. It must be a US camera. Easy enough to tell even from the outside of the box. The model number you will see there is AG-HPX170PUJ. Obviously if you buy from Jim, its a pretty safe bet that you will have a US camera.

Best,

Jan

Chris Wren August 9th, 2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farishad Latjuba (Post 917561)
What about PAL Version?

I've actually filmed some shots with the HPX171, the PAL-version of the HPX170. I was at a training-course by Panasonic Europe thursday and friday and the trainer had one of these camera's with him.

I hope to get some of the shots made by this camera on youtube asap!

Farishad Latjuba August 10th, 2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston (Post 918349)
Thanks Jim for spreading the word. Yes, in the US, we will upgrade the HPX170, but only after it has been registered. It must be a US camera. Easy enough to tell even from the outside of the box. The model number you will see there is AG-HPX170PUJ. Obviously if you buy from Jim, its a pretty safe bet that you will have a US camera.

Best,

Jan

So, another 4 years warranty, how much the total would it be?

Joe Lawry August 10th, 2008 04:43 PM

When you buy the camera you get 1 year, then after you register it you get another 4. So 5 in total.

I had a play with a preprod HPX171 a month ago.. it already had the ntsc/pal switch-ability setup... i was told to keep it hush hush however.

Andrew Buchanan August 11th, 2008 06:55 AM

Um, call me cynical, but this sounds a lot like the HVX200A, with no tape drive, for about the same price - no? Can someone tell me the advantage of getting this camera over the HVX200A? Sounds like less camera for the same price.