Hello everyone. I've got a question about HD versus SD w/true anamorphic. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello everyone. I've got a question about HD versus SD w/true anamorphic.

I used a HVX200 earlier this year and fell in love with it (but not its weight). Anywho...

I'm getting a HVX200 at years end. Got 2.5 grand in the bank so far. Until then I'm using a DVX100A and a Sony VX-1000 (old school) for a shoot. Both have true ANAMORPHIC lenses attached (not that in camera crap). How does this true anamorphic SD footage look on a HD TV?

Has anyone tried looking at SD anamorphic footage on HDTV before on here. If so what is the visual clarity like. And what are the dimensions 1440x1080 or 1920x1080.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You got me curious, because I have been shooting 16:9 HDV, and down rendering for DVD after edit. I use either my HV20 or FX1 for those purposes.

I can play back that SD DVD downrezzed footage on my inexpensive Philips HD upscale DVD Player, and I am reasonably satisfied with result on my HD tv. It certainly isn't clean HD, but it looks better than SD on the same screen.

I do have a Century Wide 16:9 convertor for my VX2000, but had not tried that yet. I ran a test after you post, and feel it gave similar results. I had run out the back door and hand held it, so there were typical mpg movement issues, but when I held it still, the image looked pretty decent.
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
Until then I'm using a DVX100A and a Sony VX-1000 (old school) for a shoot. Both have true ANAMORPHIC lenses attached (not that in camera crap). How does this true anamorphic SD footage look on a HD TV?

Has anyone tried looking at SD anamorphic footage on HDTV before on here. If so what is the visual clarity like. And what are the dimensions 1440x1080 or 1920x1080.
I have not looked at these images on and HDTV, but honestly, you're not gaining any resolution, just stretching pixels to fit the shape of the screen. So it shouldn't actually look any better than normal SD, just have the correct shape to fit the screen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders