170 vs 200a: what are the differences? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

170 vs 200a: what are the differences?

I don't see much difference between the two units other than the 200a's tape drive and the SDI output of the 170. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I assume the image quality would be the same.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi:

There are dozens of small differences. Read DVXuser.com - Articles

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Great article, thanks. The odd part is the tele comparison makes the 170 look much sharper and cleaner than the 200a... but the article says they're identical.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
Great article, thanks. The odd part is the tele comparison makes the 170 look much sharper and cleaner than the 200a... but the article says they're identical.
Same chip set, same processing circuitry, I believe. Basically, unless you have a need to shoot NTSC DV (why would anyone today?), the HPX-170A will be a superior choice.

I have one on order.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Trustee

The HPX170 is lighter which equals more stable shots. To me, that’s a big advantage.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My experience is: the heavier the camera, the more stable the shots.

I can't get a stable shot handheld on my HV20 for the life of me, but on the HVX, no problem.
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm curious as to why people are "upgrading" from a 200 to a 170. Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. Also, how much will they sell for?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I'm curious as to why people are "upgrading" from a 200 to a 170. Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. Also, how much will they sell for?
Hi Brian:

Can speak for everyone else but for me...

1. I hate the analog D-connector component out on the HVX, it's junk. HPX-170 has a more traditional component connector that won't get loose and kludgy like the one on the HVX. I own a PortaJib so I do use the component out every time I use it on the Jib and that connector sucks. The new connector is so much better. Can't see the logic of why Panasonic sourced that connector on the HVX, someone in Japan must have take someone from Panasonic out for a "three Sake" lunch or something to have bought this connector because it is one of the things that has bugged me the most on the HVX.

2. HPX-170 has much higher levels of detail enhancement on LCD, plus two new focus tools. The EX-1 has a better LCD but with the new focus enhancements and enhanced detail, I won't need to cough up $2,000.00 for a new field monitor. If I was keeping the HVX, I was having to buy a new field monitor, especially when pulling focus with my Letus Extreme and a shallow depth of field 1.8 or 1.4 lens.

3. Built-in Waveform and Vectorscope is a long awaited dream come true for many of us more technically minded DPs.

4. Lighter weight and smaller size mean handheld will be a joy in comparison to the HVX. I occasionally still shoot handheld b-roll with my DVX-100 on SD corporate shoots and it is heaven in comparison to handholding my HVX all day when shooting BTS/EPK on TV shows

5. Better chips and processing will result in less noise and slightly better S/N and dynamic range than my HVX. Once again, a big deal if you shoot a lot of available light documentary and EPK footage as I do

6. Since I have a DVX, not having a tape deck is no biggie for me, I have had the HVX for almost three years and have only put 10 hours on the tape deck, so I basically never use it.

7. All of my HVX batteries, Letus Extreme, camera backpack, etc. will work seamlessly with the HPX so the transition from older camera to newer will be great.

I did some math, since I have owned my HVX, it has made me U.S. $28,510.00 in camera rental charges alone, not to mention all of the great jobs I have booked because of owning an HD camera. I probably should be buying an HPX-500 or an HPX-2700 but I am addicted to smaller, lighter cameras for the kind of work that I do.

I shoot guerilla, shoot BTS and EPK and shoot lots of interviews with people in small, cramped spaces. I used to own a Sony BVW-D600 back in the day and having a big camera, for what I do, which also involves a lot of travel, is a major hindrance. I am confident that the HPX-170 will become my new most favorite camera that I have ever owned, as were the DVX and HVX. FWIW, I also shoot every week with a client's EX-1 and while it is a great camera and I have shot some beautiful images with it, I dislike it. It's ergonomics are terrible for me, SxS and XDCAM EX are much more of a hassle than P2 and DVCProHD and the bottom line is that the EX-1 just doesn't thrill me the way my DVX, HVX and this HPX do.

General selling price is $5,199.00 although a few have bought as cheaply as $4,880.00. Mine ships to me today.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders