DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Upgrading to HVX-200A capture question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/128834-upgrading-hvx-200a-capture-question.html)

Scott Aubuchon August 27th, 2008 10:52 AM

Upgrading to HVX-200A capture question

I am in a "pull the trigger" mode on a Panny HVX-200A... I am upgrading from a consumer HDV camera (HV20), so I am just trying to figure out what the most effective (both time and cost) capturing solution would be.

I currently only shoot in my studio for about 30-45 minute sessions. I would like to shoot full HD - but I will more than likely only do 720.

Is a 16gb card good enough? Can I (or should I) capture straight to the computer? (FCP)

Any other "gotchas" or things to consider would be helpful as well... I am not a pro, so this is a big step up, both in the way of technology and investment.

Thanks!

Jonathan Levin August 27th, 2008 11:44 AM

Hi Scott.

You might want to also look at the hvx170 that is due out sometime soon. It's basically the 200 without the tape drive. So if you are going to only shoot to P2...

Also there are a bunch of improvements (supposedly) from the 200.

I was sitting on the fence for an xh a1, but I am very interested in going right to tapeless, so I might wait for the reports to flow in.

Jonathan

Scott Aubuchon August 27th, 2008 12:07 PM

Interesting... it can record to MiniDV, but not DVCPRO-HD format... correct?

Jonathan Levin August 27th, 2008 12:35 PM

Scott.

No tape drive. No MiniDv. It just records to P2 cards.

Here's a link that has more info than I do:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/panasonic...fferences.html

Jonathan

Scott Aubuchon August 27th, 2008 03:22 PM

sorry... I was referring to the 200. The 200 does have a tape drive, but miniDV cannot support DVCPRO-HD... correct?

Jonathan Levin August 27th, 2008 03:29 PM

Scott.

The tape drive in the 200 can only record in SD, not HD. HD is recorded to the P2 card.

Jonathan

Scott Aubuchon August 28th, 2008 12:51 PM

How many minutes can you get on a single 16GB P2 card shooting 720/24p?

And what's the difference between shooting 720/24p over 60p or native... I would assume I would want to shoot native. It says something about native only shooting active frames?

Mike Gunter August 28th, 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Aubuchon (Post 926238)
How many minutes can you get on a single 16GB P2 card shooting 720/24p?

And what's the difference between shooting 720/24p over 60p or native... I would assume I would want to shoot native. It says something about native only shooting active frames?

Hi,

The Operator's Manual is located available for download here
Learn about Panasonic's AG-HVX200A - 1/3" 3-CCD P2 HD/DV Handheld Camcorder
and I recommend it. 16Gs will hold 40 minutes of 720 24P native.

The notion is that native is using the bandwidth for the frames you need, 24 frames instead of 30 frames and doing pull down as so many other cameras do.

My best,

Mike

Scott Aubuchon August 29th, 2008 08:14 AM

Thanks Mike... I guess I should have read that manual first. :P

Am I correct in assuming that if I shoot 720/24PN, I can just dump that into FCP and edit away without removing pull down - or any other processing of video?

My whole point upgrading to this camera is to help eliminate "prepping" footage just for edit... and the image quality. I have worked with 2 consumer/prosumer level HDV cameras and it's a pain in the ass extracting 720/24P footage...

The only time I want to render footage is on export for final delivery.

Mike Gunter August 29th, 2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Aubuchon (Post 926582)
Thanks Mike... I guess I should have read that manual first. :P

Am I correct in assuming that if I shoot 720/24PN, I can just dump that into FCP and edit away without removing pull down - or any other processing of video?

My whole point upgrading to this camera is to help eliminate "prepping" footage just for edit... and the image quality. I have worked with 2 consumer/prosumer level HDV cameras and it's a pain in the ass extracting 720/24P footage...

The only time I want to render footage is on export for final delivery.

Hi Scott,

You can edit right away for sure; there isn't anything to "pull down".

But I don't currently use a Mac. Those who do use FCP like it and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Rendering can be longish, but with DVCPro, it's worth the wait.

There are a ton of scene files, frame rates, and a range of tools within the camera you can do to get look that is just amazing. It's terrific.

The HPX170 is a similar camera - same CCD, smaller body, HD-SDI out, but no tape drive, but vector scope and wave form monitor. It has only P2 media.

My best,

Mike

Scott Aubuchon August 29th, 2008 10:20 AM

Cool... I just may buy it today!