DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Shooting MOS with P2 and card space. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/137428-shooting-mos-p2-card-space.html)

Jonathan Levin November 8th, 2008 03:00 PM

Shooting MOS with P2 and card space.

Hello.

Regarding the HPX170 or 200.

I've been wondering about this one: Let's say you are shooting B roll stuff, and have no need or don't want any sound recorded with the video footage.

1) Can you do this?

2) If it is possible, how much more space/shooting time would you gain by not having the audio part of the video?

3) Even if you don't save much card space, would just turning the audio sound levels to 0 be like turning off the audio?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2008 03:09 PM

1. Yes (see #3).

2. Sorry, you're not going to gain any significant amount of video recording time by not recording audio.

3. Yes.

Charlie Gillespie November 8th, 2008 03:13 PM

I don't think you can save data space just by turning off the sound...I may be wrong
Interesting to find this out

Dan Brockett November 8th, 2008 05:28 PM

The HPX170 actually has a menu function for shutting off the camera's internal mics. The HVX does not. In either case, the actual audio tracks 3 and 4 are still present in the .MXF file. The data space required should be negligible and it doesn't really matter anyway because there is no way to disable the camera recording them, even if they contain no sound.

Dan

Jonathan Levin November 9th, 2008 01:26 PM

Thanks fellows.

Just what I was looking for.

It's been so long that I've been thinking about getting a camera, that the 170 came out and it now seems that that is the camera for me, eventually. For now I'm renting 200 for my new video biz. If I ever make enough money, it's the 170. Unless I procrastinate long enough and there is a 175..

Jonathan

Dan Brockett November 9th, 2008 04:50 PM

If you have not read it already, you might find this to be good reading Panasonic's HPX170

Dan

Noah Kadner November 9th, 2008 08:22 PM

Yeah you can mute the audio but you cannot record video clips without audio attached and it's not a way to save space. And ever if it were the space saved would be negligible.

-Noah

Andrew Burke December 16th, 2008 01:31 PM

When I record 720/ 24pN and choose not to shoot at 24fps, I record no sound.

Hmmm. I understand the reason for this. But I wonder if it can be used for your purposes?

Try setting your camera to 720/ 24pN, and change the framerate to 22fps or 26fps. My guess is that no sound will be recorded, and the video will look similar to the video you normally record.

-Andrew Burke

Noah Kadner December 17th, 2008 10:45 AM

Yeah there is no sound recorded when you are in variable frame rates but also 26fps is kinda useless if you're not wanting slow motion. And again the savings in recording time might be around 1% across a whole P2 card. Get another P2 card instead....

Noah