DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HPX300 Announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/143343-hpx300-announced.html)

Kevin Crockett February 8th, 2009 11:07 AM

HPX300 Announced

I saw that the HPX 300 ( a shoulder mount variant/progression of the HPX 170) is due to be released on Feb. 11th. Just wondering if you guys know anymore about this cam?

Dan Brockett February 8th, 2009 11:27 AM

Kevin:

Just to clarify, there is an unsubstantiated rumor for a few months that there might be some INFORMATION about a possible new camera being released by Panasonic, supposedly next week. It would be highly unlikely that any new camera itself will be released just a month and a half before the video industry's high school prom, NAB.

There is no official confirmation of anything from Jan or anyone else at Panasonic. There are no indications that Panasonic will actually release the new camera next week. If they did, that would be unprecedented.

This is how ridiculous rumors proliferate all of the web at the speed of light. Now all of the posters that only read this here to DV Info and don't frequent other sites are going to think that what you have written is the Gospel, then they will post it on other boards and so on and so on.

Maybe it will turn out to be true, but there is also a good chance that nothing of substance will be known until NAB.

Dan

Robert Lane February 8th, 2009 07:10 PM

Typo, not fact

Part of the problem with this particular rumor is there is a video both on YouTube and a few other places that list the video clip as "HPX300" but in fact it's a spot about the HPX3000. It's a simple typo that's causing all the stir.

This belongs in "Area 51" for rumor-mill nonsense.

Jeff Regan February 8th, 2009 08:03 PM

I have info from two very reliable sources. This camera is real, there will be a press release on the 11th. Panasonic introduced the P2 Portable upgrade with AVC Intra, HD SDI input to the P2 Gear as well in a similar time frame, delivery in March.

Panasonic will have more new cameras at NAB, but not ready for delivery, unlike this one.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
Shooting Star Video

Robert Lane February 8th, 2009 08:36 PM

Moderator: Move to Area 51

Until an official announcement made this is strictly for the rumor-mill. As Dan points out there is no confirmed - or even hinted - data from any reliable source much less Panasonic.

Jeff Regan February 8th, 2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1008904)
Until an official announcement made this is strictly for the rumor-mill. As Dan points out there is no confirmed - or even hinted - data from any reliable source much less Panasonic.

Robert,

It can be moved to Area 51, but it will need to be brought right back on Wednesday! I've been in the camera rental business for 27 years, when I say I have reliable sources, I can assure you I'm not alluding to an internet typo. Even if the model number were to be incorrect, there is a new camera about to be set loose from Panasonic!!

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
Shooting Star Video

Robert Lane February 11th, 2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Regan (Post 1008887)
I have info from two very reliable sources. This camera is real, there will be a press release on the 11th.

Nothing has surfaced; have you seen a release somewhere?

Jeff Regan February 11th, 2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1010363)
Nothing has surfaced; have you seen a release somewhere?

Just as I said, press release is out now. News and Information of the Television and Cable Industries | Broadcasting & Cable, just google "ag-hpx300".

1/3" "3-MOS" in a full size camera body doesn't do a lot for me, but the AVC Intra should surpass XDCAM EX handily. Price is $10,700 including Fujinon detachable lens.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
Shooting Star Video

Andy Shipsides February 11th, 2009 08:28 PM

Here is a link to to videos of the HPX300.

Abel Cine Tech - Video: A First Look at Panasonic's HPX300

Dan Brockett February 11th, 2009 08:55 PM

Wow, I am blown away, I really thought that this was just rumor and it turned out to be true. Even stranger is Panasonic saying it will be available in March, the month BEFORE NAB. Hell is collecting icicles as I write this ;-).

Looks like a nice camera, just beware that it is only 1/3" 3MOS imagers and it does have the same Jellocam and rolling shutter artifacts as all of the other CMOS cameras on the market.

Looks like an interesting camera although I cannot for the life of me understand why Panasonic didn't go head to head with Sony and just use 1/2" CMOS instead of 1/3"?

Dan

Robert Lane February 11th, 2009 09:46 PM

One thing that separates Panasonic from the competition is that it's rooted first in an electrical engineering background, not an A/V product maker which is why all the pro-codecs they've created are easier to work with than others. So it's possible that Panny has found a way to deal with rolling-shutter and CMOS smear in-camera before it gets recorded. Barry is great in sussing out details like that so it'll be good to see his review and see what they've done about those issues.

It's nice to finally see high-res LCD's in use in a sub-$20k Panny cam; too bad they couldn't have incorporated that stuff in the 170, 200A or 500.

I'm sure this new cam fits a need but for a bit more money the 500 makes more sense to me; bigger chip, more P2 slots, no rolling-shutter issues and far greater lens selection.

Alain Lumina February 12th, 2009 01:40 AM

Is it only NTSC or PAL, or dual mode like the EX1?

Since I aspire to be a globe trotter, any cam that is not dual mode is a non-starter for a professional use.

Am I correct that the ex1 is dual mode switchable, and this and the 170 and 20 are not?

And for 10k, more than the ex1, this is not switchable? And has smaller sensors?

Jan Crittenden Livingston February 12th, 2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Lumina (Post 1010671)
Since I aspire to be a globe trotter, any cam that is not dual mode is a non-starter for a professional use.

Am I correct that the ex1 is dual mode switchable, and this and the 170 and 20 are not?

And for 10k, more than the ex1, this is not switchable? And has smaller sensors?

Hi,

The AG-HPX170 can be made switchable, easy enough, if you need the upgrade on your camera contact pbtscservice@us.panasonic.com. The HVX200 is not upgradeable, but I think that was decision made back in 2004 and ealing with tape bound issues at the time. On the HPX300, we are still working our way through this one and it may well end up with the same situation as the HPX170, that is can be upgraded. This of course is relative to US customers and product and of course is subject to final negotiations with the factory.

And this camera is not $10000 more than the EX1, it is $10700 list price. It really is more of a competitor to the EX3, but it is in a class of its own as there is not another camera in this price range that has a 10 bit 4:2:2 recording capability.

In comparing the size of the sensors, CMOS rules are a tad different, the resolution differences between these cameras using the stock lens that comes with the HPX300 is negligible. Similar in low light performance in 24P, but the EX has a gain in 60i, not sure why that would be but it is true. But with the HPX 300 I an record Standard Def or HD, and I can do that in two different codecs, DVCPRO HD or AVC-Intra. Lots of nice features on the camera, our wesite should go up today with brochure, and maybe manual, maybe not. The manual will make shortly if not today, I am just not sure that the last one I received is the final, so I have to wait for that reply.

Hope this helps,

Jan

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1010603)
Even stranger is Panasonic saying it will be available in March, the month BEFORE NAB. Hell is collecting icicles as I write this ;-).

Off topic, perhaps, but it's not just Panasonic. JVC's new
HM700 is also shipping next month, well in advance of NAB.

(Thread title changed from "HPX300?" to HPX300 Announced)

Chris Hurd February 12th, 2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston (Post 1010727)
Hope this helps,

Indeed it does, thanks Jan -- sorry I didn't have a chance to speak to you yesterday, but I had to immediately bail out of the press conference and cab it to Penn Station in order to catch a 2:45pm train, though it was definitely nice to (briefly) see you there. Hope to catch up with you in April. Thanks again,